NFL Post-Superbowl L : Wheeling Off Into the Sunset

Jace, Extat

Newton is an emotional guy. He's super high after a win and really low after a loss. He's never been gracious after a loss, ever. He sulks, likely always will. It's not going to change so not sure why the media has to focus on it so much. It is who he is.

22 minutes ago, Howdyphillip said:

In 2007, the Dallas Cowboys finished the regular season at 13-3 and were the number one seed in the NFL, and the prohibitive favorite to reach and win the Superbowl. They lost the divisional round to the NY Giants.

The Cowboys did go 13-3 and were the #1 seed in the NFC, but methinks there might have been another team that was the prohibitive favorite to win the Super Bowl B) 

3 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

The Cowboys did go 13-3 and were the #1 seed in the NFC, but methinks there might have been another team that was the prohibitive favorite to win the Super Bowl B) 

That Patriot team was over rated...

24 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Newton is an emotional guy. He's super high after a win and really low after a loss. He's never been gracious after a loss, ever. He sulks, likely always will. It's not going to change so not sure why the media has to focus on it so much. It is who he is.

They're going to focus on it because his team was the best in the NFL and probably should have won the Super Bowl. No one focused on it when they were 7-8 last year, that's how it's always going to be. If you're winning, you'll be in the spotlight.

2 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

I knew the Broncos D would tear Newton a new one. I thought Carolina would win, but I knew he had never faced a defense like this. It seems regardless of the conference, the superior defense truly does win championships.

I knew it would be a dog fight, but I thought they would scrape together a couple good drives and win. The Denver offense was just as atrocious as advertised, and Carolina should have been able to win that game even with Denver's phenomenal defense. Think it was just a really poor gameplan on Carolina's side.

4 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

I knew the Broncos D would tear Newton a new one. I thought Carolina would win, but I knew he had never faced a defense like this. It seems regardless of the conference, the superior defense truly does win championships.

You were definitely right about Newton struggling with the Broncos D.

As for "defense wins championships", we've discussed that before, and the takeway as I remember it was that balanced teams (good defense and offense) win more often than teams with a great defense and a so-so offense.  But if you are going to be one dimensional, you'll do a lot better in the postseason with a great defense than you will with a great offense. 

3 minutes ago, sperry said:

Think it was just a really poor gameplan on Carolina's side.

Agreed. 

I just read that between Bum, Wade, and Wes Phillips, there have been 63 seasons of coaching experience on the sidelines for the three generations, and this is the first Superbowl win. 

If any family, anywhere ever deserved a ring, it is this one. I am ecstatic that Wade got one.

3 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

You were definitely right about Newton struggling with the Broncos D.

As for "defense wins championships", we've discussed that before, and the takeway as I remember it was that balanced teams (good defense and offense) win more often than teams with a great defense and a so-so offense.  But if you are going to be one dimensional, you'll do a lot better in the postseason with a great defense than you will with a great offense. 

I agree that it is generally balance that wins titles, but it seems that (like you said) a strong defense just holds more weight in the super bowl than a powerful offense. It's also important to compare defenses to the offenses they faced in the regular season. There was a super bowl where the Broncos had a higher ranked defense than their opponents (the 49ers), but the 49ers faced stronger offenses during the season.

If two strong balanced teams are in the super bowl, im picking the one with the more terrifying defense (and the one lacking injuries on defense *nudge nudge*)

12 minutes ago, sperry said:

I knew it would be a dog fight, but I thought they would scrape together a couple good drives and win. The Denver offense was just as atrocious as advertised, and Carolina should have been able to win that game even with Denver's phenomenal defense. Think it was just a really poor gameplan on Carolina's side.

How? Carolina tried everything to get the offense going.

2 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

How? Carolina tried everything to get the offense going.

Disagree wholeheartedly.  They barely ran Newton at all, despite being very successful when they did, and they volume passed to their abysmal receiving corps against Denver's great secondary.

1 minute ago, sperry said:

Disagree wholeheartedly.  They barely ran Newton at all, despite being very successful when they did, and they volume passed to their abysmal receiving corps against Denver's great secondary.

I don't agree. I felt like Rivera didn't allow him to run much because he knew that if he did, he would be exposing Newton to even more potential hits. There were occasions when Newton had success running, but if he did it consistently Phillips would have figured him out and Newton would get clobbered.

2 minutes ago, sperry said:

Misdirection runs was Carolina's bread and butter all year, and they had some success with it this game until they just stopped doing it.  If Carolina went into this game with the plan of "our running game is better than theirs, Manning will turn it, and we'll play field position until then", I think there's a very good chance that Carolina wins that game by some gawdawful score like 9-6. 

Just now, Red Tiger said:

I don't agree. I felt like Rivera didn't allow him to run much because he knew that if he did, he would be exposing Newton to even more potential hits. There were occasions when Newton had success running, but if he did it consistently Phillips would have figured him out and Newton would get clobbered.

It's the last game of the season, and your quarterback is built like a brick shithouse, and honestly can deliver more than he gets against linebackers and safeties in the open field. He's also far and away the best weapon your team has.

Volume passing to bad receivers is just not a winning game plan.

4 minutes ago, sperry said:

It's the last game of the season, and your quarterback is built like a brick shithouse, and honestly can deliver more than he gets against linebackers and safeties in the open field. He's also far and away the best weapon your team has.

Volume passing to bad receivers is just not a winning game plan.

Im sorry, what game were you watching? Being built like a brick shithouse didn't stop him from getting knocked down, sacked and fumbling over an over again.

Those hits add up, I dont care how big he is, he is not invulnerable.

Just now, Red Tiger said:

Im sorry, what game were you watching? Being built like a brick shithouse didn't stop him from getting knocked down, sacked and fumbling over an over again.

There's quite a bit of difference between being blindsided while stationary in the pocket and actively moving downfield with the intention of running and forward momentum.

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

Misdirection runs was Carolina's bread and butter all year, and they had some success with it this game until they just stopped doing it.  If Carolina went into this game with the plan of "our running game is better than theirs, Manning will turn it, and we'll play field position until then", I think there's a very good chance that Carolina wins that game by some gawdawful score like 9-6. 

Carolina stopped running misdirection plays when it was obvious that Cam had to get the ball out of his hands immediately. There might have been a couple of successful plays that were run early doing this, but it became obvious that the Denver D was not going to allow time for a play to develop. 

Just now, sperry said:

There's quite a bit of difference between being blindsided while stationary in the pocket and actively moving downfield with the intention of running and forward momentum.

Plenty of hits didnt come while he was blindsided and if you really wanna know what  damage hits can do while you are running, ask Michael Vick, Cunningham, McNabb and some other QB's who liked to run. Those blows will effect you.

4 minutes ago, Howdyphillip said:

Carolina stopped running misdirection plays when it was obvious that Cam had to get the ball out of his hands immediately. There might have been a couple of successful plays that were run early doing this, but it became obvious that the Denver D was not going to allow time for a play to develop. 

So Carolina had some success with misdirection, but it became obvious that "Denver wouldn't allow it"?  What exactly was Denver allowing that game?  Because Carolina instead switched to a drop back and throw offense, which Denver was VERY comfortable defending, and Carolina isn't particularly good at.  If I'm a 15-1 team and my defense is playing well, I'd stick with my bread and butter - the misdirection running attack that was notably absent in the second half.

19 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

So Carolina had some success with misdirection, but it became obvious that "Denver wouldn't allow it"?  What exactly was Denver allowing that game?  Because Carolina instead switched to a drop back and throw offense, which Denver was VERY comfortable defending, and Carolina isn't particularly good at.  If I'm a 15-1 team and my defense is playing well, I'd stick with my bread and butter - the misdirection running attack that was notably absent in the second half.

They probably would have been more comfortable utilizing that rushing attack if Stewart was healthier.

Archived