NFL Post-Superbowl L : Wheeling Off Into the Sunset

Jace, Extat

9 hours ago, Jaime L said:

The week before the game I was trying to figure out how the Broncos win the game. I got as far as this:

Step 1: Von Miller, DeMarcus Ware and Wade Phillips destroy everything.

Step 2: ?????

Step 3: Superbowl Champs! 

Even after watching the game, I still don't know what a feasible step 2 was. But step 1 alone was apparently all it took considering Von Miller basically got the two Broncos TDs by himself. 

I've never seen a QB do less to win a Superbowl than Peyton Manning. Even Trent Dilfer had one big pass to Brandon Stokely in his gift Superbowl. Peyton was also 1/13 on 3rd down and turned it over twice. I wanted him to have that one big moment to ice it and it never came. It is remarkable that the Broncos won this Superbowl. 

But it's awesome. No offense to Carolina, but the Broncos winning makes a lot more people a lot happier than a Panthers title. Congrats to SkynJay, Tyrion and Simon and any other Broncos fans on this board. All hail John Elway for doing an incredible job of team building.  And though I should have seen it coming, the "this one's for Pat" moment was perfect. 

I always enjoy when I see the underpants gnomes business plan applied to the real world.:thumbsup:

Just now, Maithanet said:

Special teams:  Missed 44 yard field goal,

After the wife and I watched a bit of the CBS post game, cleaned up the living room, and went to bed; I made the mistake of turning on the ESPN coverage.  I tuned in just in time for Berman's play by play of that field goal yell out "Graham Oh No Gano!!!!"  I'm ashamed of myself for leaving it on that channel, but what else could I do at 11 PM but grimace in disgust and soldier on???  :stillsick: 

At least the other two out there were Steve Young and Tom Jackson and I didn't have to watch Ray Lewis re-enact the legendary Chris Farley scene:  "Fat guy in a little coat."

Here are the current Super Bowl 51 odds, courtesy of the Westgate in Las Vegas.

Patriots: 8-1
Seahawks: 8-1
Steelers: 8-1
Cardinals: 10-1
Packers: 10-1
Panthers: 10-1
Bengals: 14-1
Broncos: 14-1
Cowboys: 16-1
Chiefs: 20-1
Colts: 20-1
Vikings: 20-1
Bills30-1
Jets: 30-1
Ravens: 30-1
Bears: 40-1
Falcons: 40-1
Giants: 40-1
Lions: 40-1
Washington: 40-1
Saints: 40-1
Texans: 40-1
Buccaneers: 50-1
Chargers: 50-1
Dolphins: 50-1
Eagles: 50-1
Jaguars: 50-1
Raiders: 50-1
Rams: 50-1
Titans: 50-1
49ers: 60-1
Browns: 200-1

I thought Newton played as well as could be expected up until the 4th, when he started pressing. He missed a couple throws early, but every QB misses a few, especially deep.

The Cotchery drop that was reviewed shouldn't have been bobbled in the first place. Later, he couldn't get separation on Von Miller(!) on the sideline (!!).

Ginn was the one who really ticked me off - on one long completion, he had space but jogged out the sideline instead of turning upfield and getting at least another 5-10 yards in a game where every yard counted. Then he alligator-armed the throw that was intercepted.

In it wasn't until the 4th that I felt like Newton really collapsed mentally, but by then he'd had the tar beat out of him for for 45 minutes. He wasn't the only one, either; how many false starts did the offense have at the end of the game? The Denver D had their number, and the entire offense knew it.

33 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Here are the current Super Bowl 51 odds, courtesy of the Westgate in Las Vegas.

Patriots: 8-1
Seahawks: 8-1
Steelers: 8-1

Browns: 200-1

I don't know.  Seems like Vegas is being a little optimistic on the Browns.  

What a dumpster fire.  

2 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

What a dumpster fire.  

At least they have a good coaching staff now. I think if given patience, they'll turn it around, not for next year obviously but for the future.

3 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

What a dumpster fire.  

Yeah... that's a big dip between SF at 60-1 and the Browns at 200-1.

Sadly, I saw that after last year's Super Bowl, Vegas had SF at 25-1.  Just more confirmation just how bad last year's off season was.

2 minutes ago, Mexal said:

At least they have a good coaching staff now. I think if given patience, they'll turn it around, not for next year obviously but for the future.

They need someone who can tell the front office not to draft the next Brandon Wheedon/Brady Quinn/Johnny Manziel.

1 minute ago, Mexal said:

Oh, completely agree about the coaching staff.  However, the same system that embarked on the mistakes of the past is still there to repeat the mistakes for the future.  The decision-makers in that organization are horrible at their job; so long as they make the decision to take the Johnny Manziels of the world, they will always languish in the bottom third of the league.  

I mean, just how many seasons have we said "Give them a couple of seasons and..."?  

16 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

Oh, completely agree about the coaching staff.  However, the same system that embarked on the mistakes of the past is still there to repeat the mistakes for the future.  The decision-makers in that organization are horrible at their job; so long as they make the decision to take the Johnny Manziels of the world, they will always languish in the bottom third of the league.  

I mean, just how many seasons have we said "Give them a couple of seasons and..."?  

Well, they're all new decision makers except Haslem. Assuming he steps back a bit and gives some patience, I think they make better decisions.

I did think Carolina goofed by not running Newton more.  He and Olsen are the only above average weapons on the offensive side of the ball. That receiver group is atrocious, and you're not going to win much when your game plan is essentially targeting them over and over against a really good secondary.

Also, this is lost in the shuffle, but Carolina was without Kelvin Benjamin all year. When they have an actual #1 caliber receiver next year instead of Ted Ginn, their offensive is going to get a lot better (and it was already really good). I was kind of shocked to see that the Cardinals and Seahawks both had better Super Bowl odds than the Panthers next year.

20 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Is Denver losing a lot of their defense?  Because it seems weird that they are 14-1 when they just won the Super Bowl, and to a great extent their quarterback situation can only improve. 

You know, that was the thing that stood out to me.

Does anyone else think that Osweiller doesn't win that game under center too?  :stunned: 

2 minutes ago, Rhom said:

You know, that was the thing that stood out to me.

Does anyone else think that Osweiller doesn't win that game under center too?  :stunned: 

Absolutely.  I mean, Manning's pick was atrocious, and several other throws Carolina defenders got their hands on, they just couldn't hold on.  So it is a low low bar to outplay Manning's performance, and I definitely think Osweiler would have done it, unless Big Game jitters just completely swallow him up. 

So Deadspin has an article about Cam not going after the fumble which includes this GIF: 

tbxfqvmf0sta9cryrytc.gif

Sorry, that's a bad look. Lot of speculation that he took so many hits (and possibly suffered a concussion?) that he wasn't willing to take one more. But, man, their chances of winning the Superbowl was literally bouncing around on the turf there and he wasn't willing to go after it. Cam had been the most hit QB over the last 5 years by an absurd margin - he's the last guy I'd ever expect to get gun shy, but there it is. If we judge "want to" by the Elway helicopter, this is the complete opposite of that. 

And I kinda agree with Rock that between this, the impotent rage in the end zone on the late hit by Wolfe, and his sulking in the press conference...just seems like a guy who's great when things are going well and terrible when things aren't. This reputation is gonna stick with him, kinda like it did with Peyton when he threw his O-line under the bus in a playoff loss that was as much on him as anyone...until he wins one. 

14 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

This reputation is gonna stick with him, kinda like it did with Peyton when he threw his O-line under the bus in a playoff loss that was as much on him as anyone...until he wins one. 

Just for the record, I think he would do himself some good if he just takes a loss gracefully -- SB or NFC loss etc.  That's part of the game.  Everyone remembers Giselle saying that her husband can't throw and catch the ball; but we "forget" that Brady sat (in an amazing suit) for the duration answering shitty questions about how it feels to lose a Superbowl.  Manning had to do the same - and so did Rothlesberger, Warner, etc etc etc.  Some did it better than others but Newton did it worse of all.  

2 hours ago, Rockroi said:

Just in fairness to my comments I specifically said that "Terrible answers from a multi-millionaire who seemed to, not for the first time this day, shrink when the lights were the brightest."  IN other words, the lights were bright at the post-game press conference and he looked as bad there as he did during the game where the lights were also bright.  I was not making an over-arching commentary as to Newton's past performances.  

Ok, that makes much more sense. I thought it was in reference to previous big games for Cam.

And yeah, both sucked. I like good defensive games though so I enjoyed this one.

2 hours ago, Tempra said:

Probably when he let Kaepernick superman all over BOA stadium in the playoffs a few years back.

I would question someone's definition of the word "passion" if they ascribed it to Newton'so post game presser.

Really? He didn't play that bad in that game, which was his 1st playoff game ever. Seems like a bit of a reach to me. 1 td, 2 int, 250 yards or so and 50+ yards rushing in that game vs San Fran. Not exactly horrible for a 1st play off game?

ETA - And he was facing a damn good San Fran defense

In 2007, the Dallas Cowboys finished the regular season at 13-3 and were the number one seed in the NFL, and the prohibitive favorite to reach and win the Superbowl. They lost the divisional round to the NY Giants.

Tony Romo sat forever in interviews after that game and was as gracious about a loss as I have ever seen anyone behave. He was crucified in the media because of it. They said he had no heart or passion for the game.

Cam Newton does the exact opposite, yet still remains cordial with his answers, and he is getting crucified by the media.  I personally prefer Cam's method. I know he is upset. I know he is hurt. His feelings are visible. 

Archived