Spoilers- Shireen's Prediction

DaSh!t

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2016/03/14/game-of-thrones-george-rr-martin-always-intended-for-shireen-to0/

In the Game of Thrones: The Complete Fifth Season Blu-ray set, there's a segment featuring footage from A Song of Ice and Fire series writer George RR Martin, who notes "his intention" has always been that Shireen would be sacrificed by her father, Stannis Baratheon, and burnt alive.

Has anyone purchased the complete fifth season blue ray set and can verify if this is true?

14 minutes ago, DaSh!t said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2016/03/14/game-of-thrones-george-rr-martin-always-intended-for-shireen-to0/

Has anyone purchased the complete fifth season blue ray set and can verify if this is true?

Nah. That was a comment made by Iain Glen, it was just a mistake on his part. 

I seriously cannot in any way see Stannis sacrificing his daughter. He loves her...in his own way. Selyse doesn't seem to have much affection towards Shireen and she is obsessed with R'hllor. I'm pretty sure she or Melisandre have even discussed sacrificing her. If anybody would burn Shireen(which apparently is going to happen 4sure) it would be crazy ass Selyse and Mel. Stannis is busy with Boltons and not even near Shireen.

Nobody but GRRM knows exactly what will happen but I think Selyse will be the one to instigate Mel to sacrifice her. Those cocksuckers Weiss and Benioff hate Stannis and do everything they can to ruin his character. Stannis has a lot of flaws but I don't think he would kill his only child and heir.

Also I just want to say I love ASOIAF but I hate GOT. Fuck you Weiss and Benioff and fuck that stupid mummers farce you call a show.

7 minutes ago, King of the maesters said:

I seriously cannot in any way see Stannis sacrificing his daughter. He loves her...in his own way. Selyse doesn't seem to have much affection towards Shireen and she is obsessed with R'hllor. I'm pretty sure she or Melisandre have even discussed sacrificing her. If anybody would burn Shireen(which apparently is going to happen 4sure) it would be crazy ass Selyse and Mel. Stannis is busy with Boltons and not even near Shireen.

Nobody but GRRM knows exactly what will happen but I think Selyse will be the one to instigate Mel to sacrifice her. Those cocksuckers Weiss and Benioff hate Stannis and do everything they can to ruin his character. Stannis has a lot of flaws but I don't think he would kill his only child and heir.

Also I just want to say I love ASOIAF but I hate GOT. Fuck you Weiss and Benioff and fuck that stupid mummers farce you call a show.

He has never had a problem sacrificing blood child relatives.  If the situation is dire enough who knows what a desperate man would do.  Honestly, anybody but Stannis burning Shireen ruins the relationship between these characters, and undermines Stannis' authority.  IMO, the whole Nissa Nissa imagery is involved with Stannis and not with any other character.  Plus Shireen is useless as a heir.  It's fine to criticize the show, but can we not personally attack people who put like 100 hours a week into their job? Would you like it if some random person called you a cocksucker because they didn't like your job performance?

1 hour ago, Monoman32 said:

He has never had a problem sacrificing blood child relatives.  If the situation is dire enough who knows what a desperate man would do.  Honestly, anybody but Stannis burning Shireen ruins the relationship between these characters, and undermines Stannis' authority.  IMO, the whole Nissa Nissa imagery is involved with Stannis and not with any other character.  Plus Shireen is useless as a heir.  It's fine to criticize the show, but can we not personally attack people who put like 100 hours a week into their job? Would you like it if some random person called you a cocksucker because they didn't like your job performance?

This is a public forum for people to voice their opinions, whether you personally agree, disagree, or comment on them, is completely your prerogative, just as much as it is theirs. That said, you need a ladder to get down off of D&D's dicks? They don't put in 100 hours per week, but they do make 100's of millions of dollars for a horrendous adaptation of an amazing book series. It's painful to watch those turds absolutely butcher the story, and then, to boot, make up their own dumb shit for a show that supposedly had too much to fit in to begin with. Your boys D&D are welcome to come to my job and assess my performance any day. 

1 hour ago, King of the maesters said:

I agree, they suck, huge donkey balls.

Free speech shouldn't be misused to insult.

Back to the topic:

I kind of have a problem to see bookStannis to burn Shireen like in the show. Stannis said that he doesn't want the throne, but that he could give it up to Renly, because that would also infringe upon the right of his heiress. That may be just pretense, but so far he has been true to it in the books, with acts like sending Ser Justin to collect sellwords even if he, Stannis, died, so that they can fight for Shireen's right on the throne.

For Stannis to burn Shireen, more needs to happen. He wouldn't sacrifice her for his own kingship, I think, he would much rather sacrifice himself for her queenship. But if he really, really comes to believe that he is Azor Ahai and that it is necessary to burn her - not for his kingship, not for a victory against humans, but for a the victory against the Others, for the Realm of Men - he might.

15 minutes ago, yomi said:

Back to the topic:

I kind of have a problem to see bookStannis to burn Shireen like in the show. Stannis said that he doesn't want the throne, but that he could give it up to Renly, because that would also infringe upon the right of his heiress. That may be just pretense, but so far he has been true to it in the books, with acts like sending Ser Justin to collect sellwords even if he, Stannis, died, so that they can fight for Shireen's right on the throne.

He's not sending Massey to get sellswords for Shireen, the mercenaries are entirely for him, he simply tells him to keep on the fight for his heir should he be dead by the time Massey is back, there's nothing especially loving or devoted about that.

Honestly, as absurd as it might seem, I think D&D did much more for Stannis's image as a "loving father" than people might want to admit. The book character has no scenes with his daughter whatsoever, spends all of his time away from her (even before Robert's death), and has been described as a cold and distant parent by Cressen, the one person who cared about Stannis the most.

I don't see him gleefully burning his daughter, but then again, he wasn't exactly gleeful when he was thinking of burning Edric either, it doesn't mean he wouldn't do it. As far as I am concerned, I think he'll try burning her at his first encounter with the Others. It will fail, and he will move South to try unite the Kingdoms against the menace of the Others under the pretext that he is the rightful King. There he meets Dany, who will burn him to a crisp.

14 hours ago, Beautiful Bloody Sword said:

This is a public forum for people to voice their opinions, whether you personally agree, disagree, or comment on them, is completely your prerogative, just as much as it is theirs. That said, you need a ladder to get down off of D&D's dicks? They don't put in 100 hours per week, but they do make 100's of millions of dollars for a horrendous adaptation of an amazing book series. It's painful to watch those turds absolutely butcher the story, and then, to boot, make up their own dumb shit for a show that supposedly had too much to fit in to begin with. Your boys D&D are welcome to come to my job and assess my performance any day. 

Yes, it's a public forum - but what's the point when D&D aren't ever going to be the ones to read it?  They're the ones who need to see it, and they won't.  Why bother?  Cause even when they are told point blank all the faults in their show they shift the blame to GRRM anyway.  The whole Tommen/Margaery thing - they've aged up Tommen physically, but still have him acting like an 8 year old and then turn around and pin the blame on GRRM because Tommen and Margaery are married in the books.  But they need sex for their show, so Tommen's a 14? year old who can have sex, but still has as much political agency as his 8 year old self from the books.  Yet they feel like they can pin the blame on GRRM?  He wrote an 8 year old, behaving like an 8 year old, who's not having sex with his lawful wife because he's freaking 8!  They aged him up so he can have sex.  Then they blame GRRM because it doesn't make any damned sense! (and there I go on a tangent after asking you "What's the point?" Oops!). But yeah - they don't even read the valid criticism they do get, there's not much point blaming them here for it.

5 hours ago, yomi said:

Back to the topic:

For Stannis to burn Shireen, more needs to happen. He wouldn't sacrifice her for his own kingship, I think, he would much rather sacrifice himself for her queenship. But if he really, really comes to believe that he is Azor Ahai and that it is necessary to burn her - not for his kingship, not for a victory against humans, but for a the victory against the Others, for the Realm of Men - he might.

4 hours ago, Sullen said:

He's not sending Massey to get sellswords for Shireen, the mercenaries are entirely for him, he simply tells him to keep on the fight for his heir should he be dead by the time Massey is back, there's nothing especially loving or devoted about that.

Honestly, as absurd as it might seem, I think D&D did much more for Stannis's image as a "loving father" than people might want to admit. The book character has no scenes with his daughter whatsoever, spends all of his time away from her (even before Robert's death), and has been described as a cold and distant parent by Cressen, the one person who cared about Stannis the most.

I don't see him gleefully burning his daughter, but then again, he wasn't exactly gleeful when he was thinking of burning Edric either, it doesn't mean he wouldn't do it. As far as I am concerned, I think he'll try burning her at his first encounter with the Others. It will fail, and he will move South to try unite the Kingdoms against the menace of the Others under the pretext that he is the rightful King. There he meets Dany, who will burn him to a crisp.

But even Edric was for the "greater good" - not an argument I like, but it's certainly better than any reasoning that someone like Ramsay uses.  But yeah, whether it's Stannis, Selyse, Melisandre or all three - I think it's going to be for the "greater good" than out of malice, or even pure ambition.  Admittedly, the "greater good" argument, while not invalid, certainly pales a bit when comparing Edric to Shireen - Edric's "greater good" was to get the "usurpers" out of the way so Stannis could be done with civil war and build the kingdom back up (which is....not admirable, but certainly not horrible either.  It's certainly nice that *someone* is thinking of the "greater good" over their own personal charisma *cough*Renly*cough* - very grey area right there; he's not *wrong* he does have a better claim than Cersei's bastards, but his way of proving it does leave a sour taste in one's mouth sometimes).  Shireen's (likely) sacrifice would be easier to see as a "greater good" if it's meant to help stem the tide of Others.  If he has Shireen sacrificed because of some insignificant snowfall where they can see the end of their march.....not so much *cough*D&D*cough*

I'm open to the idea of Stannis sacrificing Shireen, but I think it will be under much more dire circumstances than depicted in the show. The show is by necessity of time taking a lot of shortcuts. Pretty sure this will only increase as we go along. Understandable in a way but it plays merry hell with character motivation (not to mention general logic).

2 hours ago, Jak Scaletongue said:

Yes, it's a public forum - but what's the point when D&D aren't ever going to be the ones to read it?  They're the ones who need to see it, and they won't.  Why bother?  Cause even when they are told point blank all the faults in their show they shift the blame to GRRM anyway.  The whole Tommen/Margaery thing - they've aged up Tommen physically, but still have him acting like an 8 year old and then turn around and pin the blame on GRRM because Tommen and Margaery are married in the books.  But they need sex for their show, so Tommen's a 14? year old who can have sex, but still has as much political agency as his 8 year old self from the books.  Yet they feel like they can pin the blame on GRRM?  He wrote an 8 year old, behaving like an 8 year old, who's not having sex with his lawful wife because he's freaking 8!  They aged him up so he can have sex.  Then they blame GRRM because it doesn't make any damned sense! (and there I go on a tangent after asking you "What's the point?" Oops!). But yeah - they don't even read the valid criticism they do get, there's not much point blaming them here for it.

Feel better now? Good. Thanks for proving my point for me. That's some really redundant responding, but I respect your right to write it. Cheers.

17 hours ago, Beautiful Bloody Sword said:

It is going to suck for you when it happens

21 hours ago, King of the maesters said:

:agree: 

The only reason I can see Stannis burning Shireen is to save the realm or something like that. Not that silliness from the show.

I see him doing it in extremely dire circumstances involving the Others, like the Wall being overrun or his army being wrecked. He's main concern is duty, and by the time he arrives at the Wall he seems to believe himself Azor Ahai, and AA's chief duty is to stop the Others. The first one had to kill his wife before he had the power necessary to do that, so if other methods fail I can see Stannis being convinced that he has to make a similar sacrifice.

The show's depiction was shit. It's not going to happen because some bad weather stands in the way of his ambition.

Archived