Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Which Tyler

Rugby IV - Striking Hookers Are Back In Fashion

311 posts in this topic

I think Australia generally played the better rugby; whereas England played the conditions (far) better.

I actually felt sorry for the Aussies after that last 5 minutes... I soon recovered though

Sorry for the delay - but I only noticed this morning.
Aus nabbed the Raeburn Shield of the All Blacks in the 3rd and final Bledisloe Cup match of the year; then defended it against Wales; and handed it over to England.
So we've got to defend the shield against Samoa, and then hopefully carry it through the 6N!

[www.raeburnshield.com]

For those who don't know:
The Raeburn Shield is a Challenge Trophy to be put up by the current holder, or defender, in every match it plays home or away (in the same manner as a world boxing title). The winner would either remain or become the holder.

It stretches back in this manner from the very first game of International Rugby Union in 1871 between Scotland and England played at Raeburn Place in Edinburgh (Hence the name).

On 11/20/2017 at 9:33 PM, Which Tyler said:

For those who don't know:

The Raeburn Shield is a Challenge Trophy to be put up by the current holder, or defender, in every match it plays home or away (in the same manner as a world boxing title). The winner would either remain or become the holder.

Isn't that a knock off Ranfurly Shield so shouldn't you have to win away?

England through to the Rugby League World Cup final after a semifinal  against Tonga in which they were pretty much in control of for about 75 minutes and then desperately hanging on for the last 5. I really though we were getting a last second defeat in a repeat of last time out.

It is indeed; and whilst I was unaware that the Ranfurly was only contested away from home; international teams don't really play enough to justify that. Not that I wrote the "rules" of course

32 minutes ago, The Number 10 said:

:D

Record win over the Aussies!

Scotland seem to have a knack of beating Australia.

I’m not a massive fan of that red card for Kepu though. It’s not the wrong decision, it’s a red under the rules, but you get contact to the head that bad or worse in rucks multiple times a game. It seems a bit harsh to punish Kepu because his was easier to see than usual.

Still, Scotland were playing pretty well before the red and they took advantage well.

I like Price at 9, they’ve got a good back line now so it helps to give them quick ball.

14 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Scotland seem to have a knack of beating Australia.

I’m not a massive fan of that red card for Kepu though. It’s not the wrong decision, it’s a red under the rules, but you get contact to the head that bad or worse in rucks multiple times a game. It seems a bit harsh to punish Kepu because his was easier to see than usual.

Still, Scotland were playing pretty well before the red and they took advantage well.

I like Price at 9, they’ve got a good back line now so it helps to give them quick ball.

Things are really clicking at the moment. It seems that we have the right coach with a good bunch of players.

Worth noting that wasn't our strongest team as well.

They were possibly judging the card on intent and it was definitely dangerous in my opinion.

It'll still end in glorious failure at the 6 Nations though I'm sure!

Great win for Scotland, although we'll have to wonder whether they could still have won without Kepu's moment of madness - I think they had a good chance but it's difficult to say for sure.

1 hour ago, The Number 10 said:

Worth noting that wasn't our strongest team as well.

On paper it definitely wasn't, but some of the players who are filling in for the injured have impressed enough that they could become first-choice in their own right - Ali Price seems to offer more incisiveness in attack than Laidlaw, McInally has been very good at hooker and McGuigan looks to be an exciting talent.

It'll still end in glorious failure at the 6 Nations though I'm sure!

I think the other teams will be nervous about Scotland, but I'm not sure they'll win consistently enough to challenge for the title. The scrum could continue to be a concern, although Marfo has been a good find there's still a risk they could get outmatched by the others teams if there's a couple of injuries.

Our scrum and line out was being dominated from the word go. This partly went away when they started doing 7 man scrums, but we still sucked at the line out. That'll be a concern in the 6N.

But good god does it feel great to leave Murrayfield with a solid win over a team like Australia. All too often it's 'we almost did it, what plucky underdogs we are.'

46 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

But good god does it feel great to leave Murrayfield with a solid win over a team like Australia. All too often it's 'we almost did it, what plucky underdogs we are.'

I'm sure a few years ago Scotland would have either lost or just narrowly won against a 14-man Australia.