Who do you think are the three heads of the dragon?

1 minute ago, Rachel of Oldstones said:

Sure, that's very likely. But not a definite. Who really knows what Doran is up to....

But that's beside point.

I can bet that she will not have the Dornish from now on. It may had nothing to do with the op but my point was that Quentyn's death has a reason.

2 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Quentyn might failed at taking a dragon but his storyline wasn't without a reason. His death made sure that Dany has lost the Dorne and their support.

2 hours ago, Rachel of Oldstones said:

Sure, that's very likely. But not a definite. Who really knows what Doran is up to....

But that's beside point.

I think she has only lost Dorne for now. But like you say who knows what Doran is up to. Arianne is off to marry FAegon and I think once Daenerys kills FAegon, Dorne will join, plus I'm sure at some point Dorne will realise that the real battle is with the Others. 

I'm starting to wonder how George is going to wrap all this up in two books. He has Jon, Sam, Bran, Arya, Sansa, Jaime, Brienne, Stannis, Davos, Theon, Victarion, Euron, Daenerys, Tyrion, Arrianne, Cercei, Jon Connington, FAegon and Possibly someone from House Dayne as POV chapters a lot of these POV's will be starting new stories too so won't be killed off too soon. There's also Oberyns daughter at the citadel

So it's going to be a absolute tomb of a book

6 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

True however GRRM has clearly said that Dany was born almost 9 months after Jon and after the Sack.

Why does everyone always miss the "probably" in the SSM? Besides only the books are canon.

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 3:23 PM, Lord Wraith said:

I am more curious to what the "three heads of the dragon" actually means rather than who they are

I'm pretty sure the three heads of the dragon refer to the Targaryen sigil which is a reference to Aegon the Conqueror and his two sisters, Visenya and Rhaenys.

As to who I think the three heads are, well I'm of the opinion that the three heads of the dragon is only important for Daenerys' arc.  I'm also of the opinion that Rhaegal will betray Daenerys for Aegon and thus the three riders will not be a united front, there was supposed to be a second Dance of Dragons which you can't have if all the dragons are on one side.  I think that Dany will ride Drogon (obviously) and Jorah will ride Viserion (since they have both bonded a bit as evidence by the dracarys scene, and that Jorah seems to be the second most important character in Dany's arc).

Also I can't remember for sure but is the three heads of the dragon really a prophecy or is it just a reference to how Aegon had Visenya and Rhaenys' help when conquering Westeros, so nostalgic Targaryens think they need three if they are going to do anything significant.   

On 3/20/2016 at 2:39 PM, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Quentyn might failed at taking a dragon but his storyline wasn't without a reason. His death made sure that Dany has lost the Dorne and their support.

I think she's definitely lost the Martells. But Dorne can be pretty fractious. I think it's significant that Barristan has brought Ser Archibald Yronwood into the Dany camp. I could see Dorne splitting over this, with Team Martell throwing in with Aegon and Team Yronwood with Dany. Martells/Yronwoods have quite a history.

On 3/20/2016 at 4:23 PM, Lord Wraith said:

I am more curious to what the "three heads of the dragon" actually means rather than who they are

Yeah, I think that's definitely the important question. People assume it means three allied dragon riders but I don't think that's it.

33 minutes ago, Bran the Shipper said:

I'm pretty sure the three heads of the dragon refer to the Targaryen sigil which is a reference to Aegon the Conqueror and his two sisters, Visenya and Rhaenys.

As to who I think the three heads are, well I'm of the opinion that the three heads of the dragon is only important for Daenerys' arc.  I'm also of the opinion that Rhaegal will betray Daenerys for Aegon and thus the three riders will not be a united front, there was supposed to be a second Dance of Dragons which you can't have if all the dragons are on one side.  I think that Dany will ride Drogon (obviously) and Jorah will ride Viserion (since they have both bonded a bit as evidence by the dracarys scene, and that Jorah seems to be the second most important character in Dany's arc).

Also I can't remember for sure but is the three heads of the dragon really a prophecy or is it just a reference to how Aegon had Visenya and Rhaenys' help when conquering Westeros, so nostalgic Targaryens think they need three if they are going to do anything significant.   

A three-headed dragon is the Targ sigil, but we don't actually know what it references. Aegon, Visenya, and Rhaenys are widely assumed to be the "three heads" in question. However, I tend to think that they chose that sigil because they saw *themselves* as fulfilling a much older prophecy, same or similar to the PTWP. I think Aegon at least viewed himself as saving Westeros from itself (and Black Harren) after a fashion, and potentially saw himself as the PTWP. Which seems to be intertwined with the idea of the 3-headed dragon.

Later Targs apparently disagreed since Rhaegar and Aemon were still looking for the promised prince centuries later. So whatever the prince was supposed to do, Aegon apparently didn't do it. So it's not about who is going to take over/unite Westeros.

Dany gets her prophecy from the Undying, which to me says it's to do with something mystical, not just "who will be the other two dragon riders."

My best guess at the moment is that the "Jon is the 3-headed Dragon" people are closer to the right track, and that the prophecy refers to one person who somehow has three aspects. This also fits with the theme of the Seven being aspects, or faces, of one god. And faces/heads aren't necessarily that different in a symbolic sense.

When she's gathering her new khalasar around before setting the bonfire, Dany makes a speech that includes the line "yesterday I was a child, today I am a woman, tomorrow I will be an old woman" (paraphrased). When we meet her she is fulfilling the role of a Maid, and does so for most of book 1. Later she becomes "Mhysa" and Mother of Dragons. Now it seems likely that she will spend some amount of time with the Dosh Khaleen, the wise Crones. This gives her three aspects, using the novel's own archetype system. Plus, you know, she's the most dragony at the moment. So currently I think Dany is the 3-headed dragon. But it could also be Jon--he's half Targ, and one could argue that he has already manifested three aspects--Maid, Warrior, and Father as Lord Commander dealing out justice and looking out for his men.  

Tyrion, too (if he does indeed have Targ blood) - he sort of plays the Smith when he designs Bran's saddle and commissions the Blackwater chain, and before the battle he identifies himself with the Stranger. He also does a good Warrior during Blackwater.

Dany still seems strongest to me, but we still have two books left!

On 3/20/2016 at 11:37 AM, Jon's Queen Consort said:

I don't believe that the 3headed dragon prophecy has something to do with the dragonrider(s) of Dany's dragon(s). I believe that Jon is the 3headed dragon.

He is the prince that was promised and the only one that will be left at the end to fight the Others. 

On 3/20/2016 at 11:39 AM, lomiller said:

Dany - Jon - Arya

I agree that Daenerys is one of the three heads, but I am suddenly beginning to think that she is Jon's Nissa Nissa. . .

See, Daenerys is the moon, and Drogo is the sun. . . Daenerys and Drogo refer to each other as "moon-of-my-life" and "my sun-and-stars" many times throughout Game, and Daenerys continues to think of Drogo as her sun-and-stars after he is mortally wounded through the end of Dance. When Daenerys hatches her dragonlets, we recall Doreah's foreshadowing. . . 

"A trader from Qarth once told me that dragons came from the moon," blond Doreah said as she warmed a towel over the fire. . .

Silvery-wet hair tumbled across her eyes as Dany turned her head, curious. "The moon?"

"He told me the moon was an egg, Khaleesi," the Lysene girl said. "Once there were two moons in the sky, but one wandered too close to the sun and cracked from the heat. A thousand thousand dragons poured forth, and drank the fire of the sun. That is why dragons breathe flame. One day the other moon will kiss the sun too, and then it will crack and the dragons will return."

The two Dothraki girls giggled and laughed. "You are foolish strawhead slave," Irri said. "Moon is no egg. Moon is god, woman wife of sun. It is known."

Daenerys III, Game 23

Now see what the forging of Lightbringer leaves. . .

“‘Nissa Nissa' he said to her, for that was her name, ‘bare your breast, and know that I love you best of all that is in this world.' She did this thing, why I cannot say, and Azor Ahai thrust the smoking sword through her living heart. It is said that her cry of anguish and ecstasy left a crack across the face of the moon, but her blood and her soul and her strength and her courage all went into the steel. Such is the tale of the forging of Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes.”

Davos I, Clash 10

Thereafter Lightbringer was never cold to the touch, but warm as Nissa Nissa had been warm.

Jon III, Dance 10

On 3/20/2016 at 2:22 PM, Jo Maltese said:

A Dance with Dragons: Dany, Tyrion and Jon, it is known. And check my signature for Tyrion / Viserion.

Yeah, but. . . 

They were dancing. In my dream. And everywhere the dragons danced the people died.[/quote Arianne I, Winds

On 3/20/2016 at 2:39 PM, Jon's Queen Consort said:

I agree that House Martell will back Aegon, in part, at least, for this reason. But men from Dorne and men from the Reach apparently hate each other. We know that nationalists are often able to play on such hatreds to motivate conflict for political gain. Perhaps the friends in the Reach will provide motivation for Houses Yronwood, Dayne, Fowler, Uller, Blackmont, and Manwoody to defy House Martell and fight with Daenerys. 

On 3/20/2016 at 4:41 PM, Jasta11 said:

Hopefully a bit of a red herring because I don't want the series to revolve around three Chosen Ones.

Yeah, I don't see this as a three saviors riding dragons to save mankind story either. 

34 minutes ago, Byrnard Sandors said:

Tommen, Jon, and Daenerys - three born of incest (Cersei+Jaime, Benjen+Lyanna, and Rhaegar+Rhaella), of Andal, First Men, and Valyrian blood.

This is actually a good theory and I might buy it except Tommen will die shortly (according to prophecy from Cersei's childhood).

Archived