Is Dany actually promising anything better as Queen?

Ordos

Daenerys is from what we read so far the one candidate for ruler of Westeros GRRM seems to be encouraging the readers to support. She freed the slaves, she has Tyrion on her side, she has dragons etc. 

However if she were to sit on the Iron Throne, how would she learn from past mistakes? What guarantees can she make that she will be a better ruler? Perhaps she will rely on the unpopularity of the Lannisters and Baratheons as they don't seem to govern well and at the same time hope the people of Westeros, noble and common have short memories and don't remember King Aeyrs (how do you spell that?). Will she declare Robert's Rebellion a great injustice and not acknowledge what Mad King Aeyrs did? 

Can she come up with some plan to stop a future King Aeyrs from ascending the throne?

She has yet to prove that she could be as good political leader as she is conqueror. And young as she still is, too much dependable on her most trusted advisors like Ser Barristan to make (not usually) good choices.

But, if her final destiny is indeed to sit on the IT, at least her experience in Mereen should serve at least as a base of what she could not repeat, but we still need to see if she truly learnt the lesson

She may mean well and can govern well. But can others around her govern well and can she control them?

The power of her example can only go so far. What about setting up a government that can last and govern well long after she is gone? That in my opinion can only be done by first acknowledging what King Ayers did.

I think the only way Danny is remembered positively in the history books is if she rules Slavers' Bay.If she becomes the queen who ended slavery in that part of the world, the queen who conquered Volantis and broke the masters....She could be legitimately promising something that is positive for humanity at large.

If she just uproots her army, leaves rubble in her wake, and destroys what's left of Westeros on some misguided birthright.... Historians will not be kind.

(the showdown with volantis is coming. the internal slave revolt is coming. if she were queen a decade from now, volantis would have been toppled)

Im sorry but after killing every 12 year old or higher of the 'richer/ruling class' in astapor regardless of anything else i lost all respect for Danearys as a good moral leader. And the rest of her actions in meereen only caused more monstrosities for the other people in Astapor. She sacked it and then left it behind to fend for itself against yunkai. 

Since Viserys died she herself has become bent on conquering Westeros with fire and blood. Thats not a leader of people but a power hungry monarch. Just like viserys she will declare robert's rebellion false/injustice and will not realize the extent of the madness of the mad king. Even thoguh she has been told otherwise by her advisors. 

On 4/6/2016 at 8:34 PM, Brother of edd tollett said:

Just like viserys she will declare robert's rebellion false/injustice and will not realize the extent of the madness of the mad king. Even thoguh she has been told otherwise by her advisors. 

That's my biggest problem with her. 

But I guess being good at governance for just one lifetime is the best we can expect from the harsh world of asoiaf. 

Why are you people so sure that she won't realise Mad King's crimes while there are hints for otherwise? 

One thing I am expecting from Daenerys if she rules is better representation for the smallfolk. In Meereen her council consisted of the nobles as well as her freedmen. 

25 minutes ago, khal drogon said:

One thing I am expecting from Daenerys if she rules is better representation for the smallfolk.

Yeah becuase the smallfolk have greatly benefited from her presence in the slaver's bay.

I can just see the westerosi smallfolk in tears of joy when Dany shows up with a dothraki army, the ironborn led by Victarion and with some dubious sellsword companies!

Daenerys maybe would be liked by smallfolk because of antislavery stuff. At first.

But then, smallfolk wants peace, food, lower taxes and not be raided by clashing armies.

Dany did nothing at this point what would ensure us that she would be able of compromise with their enemies ( note that i wrote enemies, not people with other culture) , so she would fight until she decides that their enemies had paid.

She does not knows much about economy either or war so her reign would be pretty feckless. And if she indeed is barren ( do not use her blooding after eating berries argument because there is difference between being sterile and being able to give abirth to living child), then taking throne will be in long run pointless, as after her death, westeros will sink in chaos for many years, with many pretendents and probably some independence rebellions.

Dany is really the dummy character. It's clear she's been set up by Martin to get the reader's hopes up that she's the good candidate, with her making all the "right" moral choices and all, but read a little bit closer and you'll see she's cruel and stupid. She's going Mad Queen. No, she wouldn't make a good ruler, and it's not hard to see why. From torturing little girls to murdering people for crimes they didn't commit, she's completely vile. A lot of people try to excuse it by saying real leadership means making nasty choices. No. You never have to torture kids and murder innocents - those are stupid and cruel choices, not tough.

I don't know what will happen, but follow the trajectory and Dany will be dead by the end of the books (unless Martin wants an evil queen takes all ending, which I doubt). I reckon Jon will kill her (his aunt) because she's evil - and that's a tough choice to make.

Dany is really the dummy character. It's clear she's been set up by Martin to get the reader's hopes up that she's the good candidate, with her making all the "right" moral choices and all,

How the hell is that clear? The text basically beats us over the head with her questionable and wrong moral choices.

11 hours ago, David Selig said:

How the hell is that clear? The text basically beats us over the head with her questionable and wrong moral choices.

Did you understand my comment properly. Dany has good inclinations, such as wanting to end slavery and stick up for the down-trodden, and this makes us believe she's the eventual savior of Westeros. However, as I went on to say, her good inclinations aren't backed up by good sanity. It's pretty bloody obvious, really. She's not the sort of person you could sit in the same room with. It makes me wonder what sort of people are supporting her.

1 hour ago, watcher of the night said:

Yeah becure thgye smallfolk have greatly benefited from he r presence in the slaver's bay.

I can just see the westerosi smallfolk in tears of joy when Dany shows up with a dothraki army, the ironborn led by Victarion and with some dubious sellsword companies!

Yeah they have earned freedom. Their lives are now as worthy as the ones who owned them before. How is this not better.

I am talking about what she would do once she had won the throne. If you believe she will establish a terror reign with Dothraki and sellswords running around raping people sorry to burst your bubble. 

33 minutes ago, Miss CS said:

Dany is rely the dummy charactercht's clear she's been set up by Martin to get the reader's hopes up that she's the good candidate, with her making all the "right" moral choices and all, but read a little bit closer and you'll see she's cruel and stupid. She's going Mad Queen. No, she wouldn't make a good ruler, and it's not hard to see why. From torturing little girls to murdering people for crimes they didn't commit, she's completely vile. A lot of people try to excuse it by saying real leadership means making nasty choices. No. You never have to torture kids and murder innocents - those are stupid and cruel choices, not tough.

I don't know what will happen, but follow the trajectory and Dany will be dead by the end of the books (unless Martin wants an evil queen takes all ending, which I doubt). I reckon Jon will kill her (his aunt) because she's evil - and that's a tough choice to make.

Where in the books she torture kids? And murder innocents? By innocents please provide proof for their innocence not speculative bullshit. Why the evil queen doesn't kill the child hostages she took from the slavers?

It all depends on how she acquires the Iron Throne. And George has set several things up that promotes her belief that she is entitled to it, because she believes herself to be the kindest and most righteous ruler out there, and yet does so at a great cost for other people.

In aGoT he sets her next to Viserys. And of course, of the both of them, she is the far better person. Her first advizor Jorah strengthens this picture, and the birth of the dragons seems to seal it. But here already, George set up major ambiguity - using the Dothraki, rape and murder to get enough money for ships to consuer Westeros... The Lazareen, followed by wishing that a life is sacrificed to save Drogo's life, and then when it all goes wrong she burns MMD alive over it.

Then she decides to free slaves, righteously angry over their treatment. Astapor is a vile, cruel city, but in her anger she causes a lot of collateral damage, and leaving the city to itself. Sure, we cheer at the vile slave master getting torched, but what about the rest of the people (like women and children)?

Next, she goes for Mereen and this time tries to reign there at least not to repeat the same mistake at Astapor. And she finds she has to make a lot of compromizes to preserve peace, and part of that is sacrificing her hunger to unleash her wrath as well as sacrificing her romantic and sexual desires. At the end of aDwD she seems to choose against this self-sacrificing aspect. It's her indignation followed by wrath that is a sentiment we can both empathize with, but that is manipulated and used by others (as well as by herself) to commit cruelties.

Who will be her allies in giving her an army? Dothraki and Ironborn. Great fighters, but majorly enslavers, rapists and pillagers. And who will they rape and pillage? The common folk.

When will she invade Westeros? When Aegon is hailed by the common folk as their savior to get rid of the Lannister regime. Aegon does not use the scum troops of Planetos to conquer, but a highly trained and experienced company and probably several Westeros houses. And if she wars against him with those raping and pillaging Dothraki and Ironborn, as well as uses her dragons, she won't be loved at all by the people.

A lot of potential with the wrong timing, wrong army allies and difficulty at self-sacrificing her need to unleash her wrath (that always goes with a lot of collateral damage)... To me it's the story of an idealistic, but flawed person who ends up destroying more than she can build, no matter howm uch she wishes to create olive gardens. Tragic, really.

1 hour ago, Paxter Redwyne said:

Daenerys ma ybe would be liked by smallfolk because of antislavery stuff. At first.

But then, smallfolk wants peace, food, lower taxes and not be raided by clashing armies.

Dany did nothing at this point what would ensure us that she would be able of compromise with their enemies ( note that i wrote enemies, not people with other culture) , so she would fight until she decides that their enemies had paid.

She does not knows much about economy either or war so her reign would be pretty feckless. And if she indeed is barren ( do not use her blooding after eating berries argument because there is difference between being sterile and being able to give abirth to living child), then taking throne will be in long run pointless, as after her death, westeros will sink in chaos for many years, with many pretendents and probably some independence rebellions.

Dany shows better knowledge about economy for her age. How she deals with the Lhazareen and Qarth shows that she has the basic knowledge at least. But the problem is the entire East depends on slavery and she made enemies by opposing slave trade. Their blockade cost the resource scarce Slaver's bay and it cannot sustain without slavery.

Well, I'm sure Dany intends to be a good and decent ruler once she's Queen, and she has the potential to be a great one. Doesn't mean that she will, or that she won't end up being more of a negative than a positive.

11 hours ago, khal drogon said:

Where in the books she torture kids? And murder innocents? By innocents please provide proof for their innocence not speculative bullshit. Why the evil queen doesn't kill the child hostages she took from the slavers?

The slaver's she crucified. She never attempted to find the culprits behind the slave crucifixions, she just gathered up random masters and murdered them. Most of them probably had nothing to do with the crime they were being punished for. That's murdering innocents.

You think that'll fly in Westeros? Dany lands and the Greyjoys attack her, so she decides to punish them by executing a bunch of Tyrells?! Think about this stuff, will you. Belonging to the same class as a criminal does not make you a criminal yourself. Dany doesn't understand such simple things. She provides blind revenge, not justice.

The torturing the little girl was with the Shavepate. She told him to torture a little girl whilst his father watches. That probably means rape her and cut her fingers off and put her feet in boiling water and so on. Dany is a seriously fucked up person. If I might her, it'd be hard not to kill her. She's a self-serving bitch. There's no way you can justify the stuff she's done. It's just vile.

11 hours ago, David Selig said:

But Dany is perfectly sane. You don't have to be insane to order murder and torture, especially in cultures like the ones depicted in the books.

Yeah, you just gotta be cruel and vile. I'd dare say she has what you'd call disorders, though, or such. She gets angry and flips out and brutalizes people. That's mental instability. Sure, it's no better if you're cool and calm when you do that, like Ramsay or Stannis, but it's still a sure sign of instability.

Archived