Are any new locations due to be added to the opening credits map?

Dina of Oldstones

My lovely mother's favourite part of GoT is the map in the opening credits; she loves those individual sigils for the actors and seeing new locations pop up (she hasn't read the books). She texted me OMFGGGGSONFSOIGNSOIGNSDS-ing when the snake coiled up the turret in Sunspear in S5...

Do you think we'll have any new locations added? I was thinking Iron Islands, due to Euron and Kingsmoot and everything- but I couldn't remember if Pyke been included in the map before? Maybe 'Beyond the Wall?' for Bran?

Volantis wasn't shown on the opening credits in season 5, even though Tyrion, Varys, and Jorah were there.

According to rumors there will be some scenes with Yara Greyjoy in Volantis in season 6, so hopefully we'll get to see Volantis in the opening credits.  It would be cool to see the Long Bridge of Volantis in the credits.

On 4/6/2016 at 5:28 PM, Dina of Oldstones said:

Maybe 'Beyond the Wall?' for Bran?

I was surprised that they didn't ever go north of Castle Black/the Wall in past seasons even when we had important scenes at places that could have been cool to depict on the map like the Fist of the First Men or Craster's Keep or Hardhome. I can maybe see them suddenly showing a location in the far north if a place like the Lands of Always Winter/stronghold of the White Walkers is introduced as a key location as the plot moves forward, but I doubt it. 

I like the idea of Oldtown/the Citadel. Maybe the Tower of Joy or Highgarden if any of the Tyrells continue be part of the story after returning home. I'd really like to see how they'd do Casterly Rock but can't think of why anyone would be going there. 

Hoping for Oldtown, but I don't think there's likely to be anywhere else new, unless D&D threw us a huge curve ball and we end up at Highgarden or Casterly Rock. Maybe Horn Hill? We know we're meeting Sam's folks at some point.

As has been said, Riverrun and Pyke should make a return, which I'm looking forward to.

3 hours ago, Mistress of Lemon Cakes said:

And then yeah, probably Pyke and Riverrun and I'd imagine Vaes Dothrak will show back up as well.

I forgot about Vaes Dothrak. I think we might find they skip it though; for any given episode (or at least the first few), they'll probably have to cover King's Landing, Winterfell, the Wall, Braavos and Mereen, with Dorne or Pyke thrown in occasionally. Kind of feel like that leaves them without any room (unless I'm mistaken, they've never had more than 6 locations for one opening credit sequence).

To count how many locations we are going to have:

1. Winterfell
  2. King's Landing
  3. Mereen
  4. The Wall
  5. Braavos
  6. Pyke
  7. Riverrun
  8. Vaes Dothrak
  9. Old Town
  10. Beyond the Wall

Too many. Though there will be some locations that will pop up or drop later in the season (such as Dorne showing up few episodes later in S5). Braavos will drop when Arya leave for Westeros. Pyke will show in the episode with Euron and the Kingsmoot, and later drop when they leave to raid Old Town. Riverrun will show when Brienne and Jaime reunite at Riverlands. Same reason for Sam and Old Town. I doubt they will show Dorne considering the plot no longer center in that location anymore.

Kinda ambivalent with Vaes Dothrak and Beyond the Wall showing however.

Lol I can totally see them calling Oldtown "The Citadel" considering what happened with Sunspear.

I imagine Vaes Dothrak will be back. They already have the animation and one of the main characters will be there. I see no reason not to include it.

I'd also be really surprised if anything beyond the wall was added to the opening credits. Pleasantly surprised, mind you, but they haven't done it once in five seasons.

8 hours ago, The Arthur Smith said:

To count how many locations we are going to have:

1. Winterfell
  2. King's Landing
  3. Mereen
  4. The Wall
  5. Braavos
  6. Pyke
  7. Riverrun
  8. Vaes Dothrak
  9. Old Town
  10. Beyond the Wall

Too many. Though there will be some locations that will pop up or drop later in the season (such as Dorne showing up few episodes later in S5). Braavos will drop when Arya leave for Westeros. Pyke will show in the episode with Euron and the Kingsmoot, and later drop when they leave to raid Old Town. Riverrun will show when Brienne and Jaime reunite at Riverlands. Same reason for Sam and Old Town. I doubt they will show Dorne considering the plot no longer center in that location anymore.

Kinda ambivalent with Vaes Dothrak and Beyond the Wall showing however.

We won't get beyond the wall, we never got it in Season 2 or 3, and we don't need to really. Mereen, the Wall, Winterfell, King's Landing and maybe Braavos will have to be there every episode (at least for most of the season, Braavos or Mereen may eventually be vacated by characters), and we'll get the occasional Pyke, Riverrun, and maybe Old Town or Horn Hill intermittently.

Archived