Ian McShane... [SPOILERS]

WHY was he cast for only one episode?! I can't get enough of this guy. He fits perfectly in the universe. Name a character, good or bad, he could have played it and we could have had more of his awesomeness. 

If anything, this only gets me more pumped for Team Sandor, as he goes on a killing spree and makes his way to KL to fight his brother. 

8 hours ago, Im With Stannis said:

WHY was he cast for only one episode?! I can't get enough of this guy. He fits perfectly in the universe. Name a character, good or bad, he could have played it and we could have had more of his awesomeness. 

If anything, this only gets me more pumped for Team Sandor, as he goes on a killing spree and makes his way to KL to fight his brother. 

Go character development.

McShane was awesome and really stole this episode. But it's indeed a pity they didn't follow the book character more closely, he would be more awesome.

And that hanging... Is that me, or they have a thing for the camera lingering on hangmen's faces, possibly to make us understand they are REALLY hanged?

I don't know everyone's personal lives, but maybe he only wanted a one episode part?  When you say hangmen's (as in person who hangs people) do you mean hanged man (as in someone who was hung)?

They might focus on their faces to show the brutality of hanging.  No blood, boobs, or guts to show how violent it really is.

3 minutes ago, wolverine said:

I don't know everyone's personal lives, but maybe he only wanted a one episode part?  When you say hangmen's (as in person who hangs people) do you mean hanged man (as in someone who was hung)?

They might focus on their faces to show the brutality of hanging.  No blood, boobs, or guts to show how violent it really is.

Yeah, I suppose so.

5 minutes ago, C.T. Phipps said:

Ian said he wanted to do it for two reasons in a Entertainment interview.

1. It was a one episode part and wouldn't be a huge commitment.

2. He got to play the good guy.

Yep, sometimes people just want to do a small role in something they respect. All of the people bitching about the show who like McShane should think about that. He likes the show so much he wanted to be a part of it.

I love the guy in the episode but I am just fine with that being all there is. He is such a big character on screen that the only thing that would have been better would be him being Euron, that would have made the character more believable, but then Yara steals his ships and makes a fool of him so...

Just now, dbunting said:

All of the people bitching about the show who like McShane should think about that. He likes the show so much he wanted to be a part of it.

Tits and dragons.

I have no idea. But I'm fairly certain that I read something about McShane not knowing much anything about GoT and not giving a rat's ass about it, and only joining because of Shephen Dillane and Charles Dance (and not knowing they are already dead in the series).

A pity indeed, but D&D must have their "shocking death" in almost every single episode right? -___-

As I said in another threat, my bet is that the show can not have the same level of complexity as the books have. And it won't last forever, If I understood correctly, after S6, we will only have S7 & S8 which will be shorter (6 or 7 ep each?) so D&D are wrapping everything up for the "grand finale".

The point of having the Hound back to life, was to have him back in the game immediatly.

Quiet Isle, Elder Brother, Septon Meribald, and Sandor "purging from his sins"... all of that is cool indeed. But it's book material, not TV material.

We had Septon Meribald for a short time, but at least his character had interesting background and depth. Much more that we can say for Ellaria and the Snakes...

1 hour ago, wolverine said:

When you say hangmen's (as in person who hangs people) do you mean hanged man (as in someone who was hung)?

"Father had only gone out to ransom Petyr Pimple. He brought them the gold they asked for, but they hung him anyway." – Amerei "Gatehouse Ami" Frey

"Hanged, Ami. Your father was not a tapestry." – Mariya Darry

I'm sorry, I couldn't stop myself!!!

If only they had named the character Septon Lovejoy. :wub:

I'm a huge fan of his, but prior to this episode I thought it was a mistake to cast Mcshane. If they had cast some no-name actor, they wouldn't have hounded him with questions (pun intended) and ended up spoiling the whole thing ahead of time.

But I was 100% wrong. You have to give actors a lot of credit when they show up on an established show to play a character they are unfamiliar with and just knock it out of the park (Brian Cox just did the same on Penny Dreadful). Mcshane is just masterful.

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

Yep, sometimes people just want to do a small role in something they respect. All of the people bitching about the show who like McShane should think about that. He likes the show so much he wanted to be a part of it.

I love the guy in the episode but I am just fine with that being all there is. He is such a big character on screen that the only thing that would have been better would be him being Euron, that would have made the character more believable, but then Yara steals his ships and makes a fool of him so...

No to him as Euron.  I would have not been able to stop imagining him as Captain Black Beard.  We'd all be waiting for Johnny Depp and Penelope Cruz to show up.

Archived