Which characters of the series can be regarded as introverted?

Marcus corvinus

Most of the characters in the series are extroverted. It was the behavior that was highly favored in a boy in the middle ages. Extroversion, charisma and a warm outgoing personality were often essential in noblemen. But a few characters are also introverted. 

Here is a list of characters i think can be considered introverted:

1. Ned stark

2. Jon snow

3. Roose Bolton

4. The clegane brothers

5. Podrick payne

6 Stannis Baratheon

7. Victarion Greyjoy

8. Doran Martell

9. Quentyn Martell

10. Richard Horpe

Also i think these characters might be introverted: Tywin Lannister, Brienne of tarth

I think there are a fair amount of introverts, or people somewhere in the middle. All of the born Starks for example. Samwell and Stannis are the best examples of a total introvert, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Lady Lia said:

I wouldn't call Sansa introverted. She's a little shy, but she likes being around other people (when they're not crazy and threatening her obviously) and she loves big social occasions like balls and tourneys.

There is a large difference between being asocial and being introverted. To the best of my knowledge, introverts are those who draw their energy primarily when they are alone, rather than those who shun social interaction entirely. Like her siblings, Sansa is certainly not the former, but probably the latter.

9 hours ago, Marcus corvinus said:

Most of the characters in the series are extroverted. It was the behavior that was highly favored in a boy in the middle ages. Extroversion, charisma and a warm outgoing personality were often essential in noblemen. But a few characters are also introverted. 

Here is a list of characters i think can be considered introverted:

1. Ned stark

2. Jon snow

3. Roose Bolton

4. The clegane brothers

5. Podrick payne

6 Stannis Baratheon

7. Victarion Greyjoy

8. Doran Martell

9. Quentyn Martell

10. Richard Horpe

Also i think these characters might be introverted: Tywin Lannister, Brienne of tarth

It's interesting to me that you see the Clegane brothers, as well as Victarion, as introverted. They all strike me as huge extroverts (I guess Sandor is introverted in some ways and extroverted in others).

Sam, Stannis, and Brienne are pretty typical introverts.  They like to be by themselves and have difficulty interacting with others.

Bran is also introverted, and maybe Robb, but Sansa and especially Arya are extroverts.  They like interacting with other people and are very good at it.

I'll agree with all the Starks and Brienne of Tarth. Being an introvert doesn't mean that you avoid people, but that you "recharge" away from others. I'd probably agree with Roose and Sam who seems to love books more than people. If I am picking Clegane brother it's Sandor. 

Jaime becomes an introverted dude later in the books. Also Theon.

Well, a lot of characters with POV develop into introversion as the books progresses. But to begin with, I'd say Ned was already an introvert. So is Roose. And Tywin Lannister.

Quentyn is more a timid guy.

Victarion is a dork. His reasoning is limited by his religious views. He's not an introvert, he just can't socialize well because he's not clever enough to do anything else than commanding a ship and a fleet.

1 hour ago, King Merrett I Frey said:

Jaime becomes an introverted dude later in the books. 

I remember in AFFC when he was surrounded by soldiers Jaime thinks how he's in his element surrounded by people and how he was made for war.  

We get his inner thoughts but he likes interacting with people even in the later books. He jokes and is constantly surrounded by them. 

Archived