U.S. Elections: The Narcissist and the Nineteenth Amendment

Ormond

2 hours ago, DunderMifflin said:

Considering a candidate and their views to be racist is one thing, it's another to consider anyone that supports that candidate or doesn't support yours as a racist. 

I know a lot of nonwhite people that are offended that Hilary Clinton is being promised as the savior of nonwhite people. And saying Hilary isn't as racist as Trump to them equates to saying "my guy only killed 20 people, that other guy killed 50! So my guy is going to cure murder"

Being a racist and being fine with putting an outright racist advocating racist policies in charge of the country may not be exactly the same thing all the time, but they are pretty hard to tell apart. 

5 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Being a racist and being fine with putting an outright racist advocating racist policies in charge of the country may not be exactly the same thing all the time, but they are pretty hard to tell apart. 

For some, that confusion extends to all US politics, including the Democratic party. So in their mind, a vote for either of these candidates is a vote for racism as usual with no major difference between the two.

19 hours ago, Daniel Plainview said:

Their history is rooted in oppressing, raping and murdering people.

Ah, the 1400 year history of Islam. (that's tongue-in-cheek.)

See, if you consider people are disqualified from empathy because their history is "deeply rooted in oppressing, raping and murdering people," well then... we'd have to do away with empathy entirely. Because almost every single culture has done these atrocious things.

Now, broadly speaking, supporting a certain candidate does not mean one supports everything about that candidate. So I certainly think it is possible for someone to support Trump without supporting his bigotry... although I am aware such a likelihood is quite small.

12 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

For some, that confusion extends to all US politics, including the Democratic party. So in their mind, a vote for either of these candidates is a vote for racism as usual with no major difference between the two.

For some saying threre's no major difference between them is the same thing as demanding that slavery be legalized again. Why are you advocating slavery, man? That's pretty reprehensible. 

(See how silly false equivalence looks?)

4 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

For some saying threre's no major difference between them is the same thing as demanding that slavery be legalized again. Why are you advocating slavery, man? That's pretty reprehensible. 

(See how silly false equivalence looks?)

It's not false equivalency to everyone though. It's true equivalency to some people.

There are people who think Obama did next to nothing to help racism, I can understand the anger at the repeated guarantee that Hillary will help much. She isn't exactly distancing herself from the white establishment.

4 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

She isn't exactly distancing herself from the white establishment.

What would "distancing herself from the white establishment" look like?

33 minutes ago, Maester Drew said:

Ah, the 1400 year history of Islam. (that's tongue-in-cheek.)

See, if you consider people are disqualified from empathy because their history is "deeply rooted in oppressing, raping and murdering people," well then... we'd have to do away with empathy entirely. Because almost every single culture has done these atrocious things.

Now, broadly speaking, supporting a certain candidate does not mean one supports everything about that candidate. So I certainly think it is possible for someone to support Trump without supporting his bigotry... although I am aware such a likelihood is quite small.

Yeah, that's a fair assessment, methinks. Look at the history of this country. If that's the logic you're going to apply, then we are fucking murderous barbarians.

Trump surrogate and elected sheriff David Clarke:

"Pitchforks and torches time"

I saw a writer on ThinkProgress describe this as a call for riots; to me it reads more like a call for armed insurrection. Literal treason.

18 minutes ago, Inigima said:

Trump surrogate and elected sheriff David Clarke:

"Pitchforks and torches time"

I saw a writer on ThinkProgress describe this as a call for riots; to me it reads more like a call for armed insurrection. Literal treason.

I wouldn't advocate action based on this tweet. But should a gathering take place...

32 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

It's not false equivalency to everyone though. It's true equivalency to some people.

There are people who think Obama did next to nothing to help racism, I can understand the anger at the repeated guarantee that Hillary will help much. She isn't exactly distancing herself from the white establishment.

Okay, let's go over this:

Neither Barack Obama nor Yao Ming are short. Agree or disagree?

Neither Adolph Hitler nor Queen Elizabeth II did much to help the Jews, agree or disagree?

Neither cancer or the common flu make you healthier, agree or disagree?

Etc. 

2 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Okay, let's go over this:

Neither Barack Obama nor Yao Ming are short. Agree or disagree?

Neither Adolph Hitler nor Queen Elizabeth II did much to help the Jews, agree or disagree?

Neither cancer or the common flu make you healthier, agree or disagree?

Etc. 

Or.....both cancer and aids are bad.

4 hours ago, DunderMifflin said:

Considering a candidate and their views to be racist is one thing, it's another to consider anyone that supports that candidate or doesn't support yours as a racist. 

I'm fine with saying that being tolerant requires me to not tolerate support for racist candidates. And by "racist," I don't mean implicit bias, "we're all sexist and racist" stuff. I mean calling Lil John Uncle Tom when he dressed up like Uncle Sam on Celebrity Apprentice and questioning the legitimacy of the first black President stuff. Hillary might be "racist" because we're all racist, but Donald Trump is "a racist."

13 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Not sure if it's real. It's starting to look like some sort of Twitter hashtag shaming or something.

Did it make you feel better about humanity for a minute? Was it related to this election? And was Michelle Obama in no way involved? Then it's not real.

Archived