NFL Offseason: Trail of Tears or My Cousin Kirky

Manhole Eunuchsbane

36 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

And Simms is gone. That's all I care about.

Exit Phil "the idiot" Simms and enter Tony "the idiot" Romo.  Seriously though, I’ve always liked the guy and he seems charismatic enough. But to immediately step in as the number one color commentator every Sunday and get a $4 million deal just seems like a huge leap of faith.

I don’t understand how TV execs manage to make any money at what they do. Does anyone tune in to hear the announcers? When announcing is done right for TV games, you don’t even realize its there. Its only when its egregiously bad that you take note. So do we really think that Tony Romo’s presence will drive $4m worth of value to the CBS telecast? Are they getting that much more advertising for having him in the booth?

As a business owner looking at new locations a few years back I had a couple options. One was in a better place, but was a much bigger facility with a cost per square foot that was double the other and required the tenant to pay the taxes and insurance. When looking at the two of them, I had to consider: Will I get more new patients in this location? If so, will it be enough for me to bring in double the amount I’m spending on the other location? So that’s how I would look at announcers. I can get Tony Romo for $4m or I can get Mark Schlereth for $1m (as an example). Is Romo bringing me $3m in advertising?

If not, then I take a hard pass.

Now for a studio show where people actually ARE tuning in for the on set personalities?  Well, then I might be able to get on board... maybe.

There are some announcers that people love and  continue to love. Keith Jackson is a good example. So was Madden, and to a lesser extent Michaels. Verne Lundquist, Brent Musberger - these are people that people remember and love and think about.

I kind of think that there hasn't been someone like that for the NFL in a long time now. 

4 hours ago, zelticgar said:

He won an award for "most courageous". Not the same as "best teammate". His actions on the sidelines and with the press do not point to someone who is "all about football". 

I'm curious where you're getting your information. 

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/03/30/nfl-colin-kaepernick-free-agent-quarterback-looking-job

Harbaugh: “Every day his car would be the first one in the parking lot,” says Jim Harbaugh, who almost won Super Bowl 47 with Kaepernick in San Francisco before moving on to the University of Michigan. “He’d be studying film and he’d be working out in the morning. I mean, no later than 5:45. He was already in a full lather when I would see him.”

Kelly: “There was zero distraction,” Kelly says. “He met with the team immediately after [his first protest]. He met with the other team leaders. He explained his position and where he was coming from. And literally, that was it. Colin was focused on football. He was all about the team and trying to help us win.

“When Colin is with us, he is 100 percent football,” Kelly says. “There’s not, ‘Hey, Coach, I don’t have time for this.’ That was never him. [The protest] never affected how he worked or what our workplace was like. And that’s a credit to Colin.”

Possibly you know something his coaches don't?

1 minute ago, James Arryn said:

Harbaugh: “Every day his car would be the first one in the parking lot,” says Jim Harbaugh, who almost won Super Bowl 47 with Kaepernick in San Francisco before moving on to the University of Michigan. “He’d be studying film and he’d be working out in the morning. I mean, no later than 5:45. He was already in a full lather when I would see him.”

Well we know this is a lie, as Tomsula's car was always the first on the lot, given that it never left in the first place.

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Well we know this is a lie, as Tomsula's car was always the first on the lot, given that it never left in the first place.

I thought he parked near the beach so he could empty his ashtray/kitty litter.

2 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

I'll be the last person to mourn the end of Phil Simms cornholing my TV, but it is a little weird that Romo is vaulting into the number one team right from the start. Dan Fouts must be pissed.

Yeah, I'm surprised CBS isn't asking Romo to spend even one year on a lower-tier announcing team to make sure he has what it takes.

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I hope as time passes people come to realize that for a while Romo was a legit top 5 QB. That said, I'm not surprised that he's retiring, and hopefully this clears the way for the other starting quality free agency QBs to get signed.

Jay? I did say he'd go to the Broncos.... :ph34r:

40 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Does anyone tune in to hear the announcers? When announcing is done right for TV games, you don’t even realize its there. Its only when its egregiously bad that you take note.

34 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

There are some announcers that people love and  continue to love. Keith Jackson is a good example. So was Madden, and to a lesser extent Michaels. Verne Lundquist, Brent Musberger - these are people that people remember and love and think about.

I kind of think that there hasn't been someone like that for the NFL in a long time now. 

I will kick both of your asses if you do not immediately apologize to Chris Collinsworth.

1 minute ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I will kick both of your asses if you do not immediately apologize to Chris Collinsworth.

I'm sorry that I forgot such a shitty commentator and if you're tuning in to listen to him do play by play then I'm sorry for your life too

7 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

You mean the guy who once said this in a televised interview:

I'm not gonna deny it, I walk around with hundred dollar bills hanging out of my pocket...I like girls that aren't too bright because you can trick 'em a little bit...high school girls love me. Fourteen to eighteen, I'm a big star with them. As soon as they mature, after they turn 18 years old, they start to figure it out.

:lol: 

3 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I'm sorry that I forgot such a shitty commentator and if you're tuning in to listen to him do play by play then I'm sorry for your life too

If you insist upon this nonsense then I will meet you at ten paces. Be it with pistols, swords, or if you please sir a Tomahawk! 

Boy, the Cowboys QB's are getting a monopoly on broadcast lead analyst jobs. If Dak Prescott plays his cards right, he could replace Jon "THIS GUY!" Gruden at ESPN in 12 to 15 years!

23 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I don't find him terrible. Course I don't mind Aikman either, and everyone else seems to. Glad Simms is gone, he was godawful...but I think his son might actually be decent.

29 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

If you insist upon this nonsense then I will meet you at ten paces. Be it with pistols, swords, or if you please sir a Tomahawk! 

If your aim is as bad as Collinsworth's commentary you're gonna need a 12-gauge

4 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Simms sucking toxic fumes from diseased alpaca ass for damn near 2 decades now? They could've replaced him with ALF and it would've been an improvement. And ALF is fucking dead.

I laughed so hard when I read this.

Also, have you heard the audio of Bill Burr calling a mock game? It's absolutely amazing and I'd post it if I wasn't at work. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

I laughed so hard when I read this.

Also, have you heard the audio of Bill Burr calling a mock game? It's absolutely amazing and I'd post it if I wasn't at work. 

He has a couple of different vids centered around that. I think the NBA ones are the funniest. 

33 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

If your aim is as bad as Collinsworth's commentary you're gonna need a 12-gauge

You know what Kaliflower? I adore you.

And I am quite dispirited by that link Rhom...

Archived