MLB 2017 - if you build it, they will cub

42 minutes ago, Week said:

Punk move to try to throw a helmet. As is hitting a batter on purpose - IMO - I don't know that it was intentional or a bad pitch that hit him on the butt (which is not near the strike zone...).

Was that retaliation for something earlier? It was a 2-0 game...

Harper took him deep a few years ago. A lot of people thinks that Strickland was getting revenge for that which is insanely petty... I didn't expect to hear myself say this, but I'm on Harper's side here. I think he was completely justified. 

On another topic, wow the Astros absolutely continue to amaze this year! What a crazy comeback going into the 8th!!

13 minutes ago, Ghjhero said:

Harper took him deep a few years ago. A lot of people thinks that Strickland was getting revenge for that which is insanely petty... I didn't expect to hear myself say this, but I'm on Harper's side here. I think he was completely justified. 

On another topic, wow the Astros absolutely continue to amaze this year! What a crazy comeback going into the 8th!!

Strickland is a redass for sure, but I tend to think Harper is one as well, and the helmet toss is straight Bush League. I think both of them are in the wrong, but Harper's reaction was over the top.

I suppose, it's not too big a deal to me. I always enjoy seeing a good brawl. If he had done anything with his bat that's another matter, but Strickland was looking for trouble and trouble found him. He got what he deserved. 

20 minutes ago, Ghjhero said:

I suppose, it's not too big a deal to me. I always enjoy seeing a good brawl. If he had done anything with his bat that's another matter, but Strickland was looking for trouble and trouble found him. He got what he deserved. 

Yeah, I can't disagree with that. He clearly plunked him on purpose. You reap what you sow at the end of the day. That said, it looks like Strickland landed the better punch. :D

44 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

If Harper swung the bat the way he throws a helmet the Nationals would be back in Montreat by now. 

This is my favorite post ever.

Trout out 6-8 weeks. That sucks, and he was off to his best start ever. I'm really hoping he'll get off that shit team one day. 

That helmet throw was pretty pathetic. My favorite part was Samardzija drilling his own teammate.

9 hours ago, Myshkin said:

I'm a Mariners fan today. 

I was honestly shocked that they didn't blow it, this bullpen has been a disaster thus far, and has cost the Mariners so many games. At least they're still better than the Dadres.

Not gonna say anything positive, because every time I do, they go on a losing streak.

Suspensions handed down: 6 games for Stickland, 4 games for Harper. This, along with the tone of the coverage, kind of disgusts me. Writers and analysts have been excusing and downplaying Harper's actions, and now MLB is protecting him. He threw his helmet, which has always been a big time no-no. The coverage, and now the punishments, have centered around who these two guys are, rather than what they did.

ETA: I want to clarify that I'm not trying to hate on Harper here. Strickland nursing a grudge for 3 years is ridiculous. But like it or not, him hitting Harper in the wallet is well within the normal  bounds of what goes on in baseball. Similarly, Harper charging the mound, while rarer, is also well within the normal bounds. But throwing the helmet crosses the line. 

No doubt losing Harper for 4 games is gonna hurt the Nats a lot more than losing Strickland for 6 games is gonna hurt the Giants. Not least because the Giants ain't going nowhere anyway (had to get at least one dig in). But still these punishments don't jive with the way these incidents have been handled in the past. And there can only really be one reason for that. I don't like the idea of the league handing out punishments based on skill level or star power. 

ETA: I mean shit, watching PTI a few minutes ago, Mike Wilbon said Harper shouldn't face any punishment, and suggested in all seriousness that he shoulda gone after Strickland with the fucking bat. Just imagine if the pitcher in this situation had been Kershaw or Scherzer, and the batter had been some replacement level player. Both the coverage and the punishments would have looked very different.

I figured they would both get about 7 games, but I guess Harper missing his throw by so much obviously helped his case...or the mentioned star power.

Anyone see this asshole? http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/news/minor-league-baseball-brawl-video-dayton-dragons-west-michigan-whitecaps/xgzvdqg7rpsf1e884e53q5u08

Basically during a minor league brawl a pitcher drills an opponent near the groin area with a ball from maybe ten feet away. This guy, Eduardo Jimenez, should get the book thrown at him. No excuse for that shit.

5 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I figured they would both get about 7 games, but I guess Harper missing his throw by so much obviously helped his case...or the mentioned star power.

Anyone see this asshole? http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/news/minor-league-baseball-brawl-video-dayton-dragons-west-michigan-whitecaps/xgzvdqg7rpsf1e884e53q5u08

Basically during a minor league brawl a pitcher drills an opponent near the groin area with a ball from maybe ten feet away. This guy, Eduardo Jimenez, should get the book thrown at him. No excuse for that shit.

This shit is why Harper should have gotten somewhere around 8 games for throwing the helmet. By giving him such a light suspension (lighter than most players who charge the mound and don't throw a helmet) they're signaling that it's okay to bring a weapon into the brawl, as long as you're a star.

Archived