Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2: The Groot Strikes Back

Werthead

4 hours ago, The Grey Wolf said:

4. I really feel that they could handled Ego's motivations in a much more nuanced and tragic way. I mean did we really need another villain who wants to take over or destroy everything? To be specific I think it would have been better to ground Ego's desires in an existential crisis. Namely, that he is an immortal being of cosmic power...Yet he can't help but seek out other life even when it proves to be disappointing and worse, transient unlike himself, with all his attempts to find something or someone to forge a lasting bond with failing. In my mind that would give Ego killing all his previous children and Star-Lord's mother more weight as well as provide better dramatic tension in the last battle because from his perspective he would be facing not only his last child but also the only being who he could ever allow himself to build a bond with because Star-Lord won't die like everyone else. This, in turn, would make their last conversation much more poignant in my mind: When Ego says "you'll be just like them" and Star-Lord responds "what's wrong with that" you can really see where the former is coming from.

What would be the point of the main characters being called Guardians of the Galaxy if they didn't take on such villains? Rocket even revels in the chance of them being "two-time galaxy savers".

I expect that line to come back during Infinity War.

Youse Avengers saved, what, a single planet? Once from invasions and once from yourselves. Big whoop. We've saved the galaxy. Twice. Get in line.

12 hours ago, Corvinus said:

What would be the point of the main characters being called Guardians of the Galaxy if they didn't take on such villains? Rocket even revels in the chance of them being "two-time galaxy savers".

Sorry if I wasn't being clear. My beef with regards to Ego is not his goal but his motivation, which is pretty bog-standard to me.

I really liked it. Probably not as much as the first one (although Kurt Russell was a better villain), but I enjoyed it quite a bit. The Yondu/Rocket/Groot escape was one of the best scenes I've seen in a comic movie in a while. Michael Rooker was awesome. Probably my favorite MCU franchise going tbh. These movies are just downright fun, imo.

I enjoyed the movie. It wasn't as fresh as the first, naturally, but it did its job well. I am concerned that the MCU keeps killing off its villains / antagonists, aside from Loki.

I'm also concerned at the size of MCU movie budgets. It's all well and good to have huge budgets while the movies are raking it in. But all it takes is one movie to not perform at that high level and suddenly the wheels fall off and there's panic. Even the movies that had modest expectations still had hefty budgets well in excess of $100 million. I hope they can find some economies for movies that are a bit more risky, such as Black Panther and Captain Marvel. I don't think it's a good idea to need these movies to do >$400 million world-wide before they break even.

Archived