If Sir Arthur Dayne won

devilish

Lets say that Sir Arthur is the sole survivor of the tower of joy fight. Lyanna dies few hours later leaving him with a wolf pup whose also the son of Rhaegar. How would he act? Were would he go? And how would you act if you were him?

Would he ask for sanctuary at Starfall? The Daynes are a strong house but it won't be able to protect the pup for long. Robert is King and all the Lords are falling in line including the Martells. Soon enough Robert will learn that Ned is dead and that Arthur did it. He'll certainly seek revenge for that and the Daynes can't stop him

Would he move to exile at Essos? The big question is where? The Magister of Pentos might be interested in Lyanna's boy but Arthur doesn't know that. The Golden company has a soft spot towards Targ bastards. However would they take responsibility of him? Robert will probably want the boy dead and he can raise armies which are way bigger then the GC. Is it worth risking ending at the wrong end of Robert's rage especially since there are 2 true born Targs around who have more claim to the IT then Jon has.

Would he move to the North? Jon is a bastard but he still have Stark blood. Lord Benjen is young but he loved his sister dearly and he would never ever hurt her boy. The North is impossible to hold and Robert would find it hard to invade the very land that handled him the IT.

Ser. Arthur won't be heading North after killing Ned and the other Northmen, he'd find no sanctuary there no matter who's babe he claims to have with him.

Dorne wouldn't have him even if they wanted too because they'd know Robert would invade Dorne for harboring Ned's killer. Doran isn't going to put his people at risk for Arthur or Rhaegar and Lyanna's babe after Arthur left Elia and her children to die in King's Landing even if it wasn't his choice not to be there.

It's either Essos or the Night's Watch

He'd obviously go join Willem Darry and take the last two legitimate Targaryens under his wing. He might also take a false identity. Whether he takes Dawn with him is another story. He'd also probably have Ice in his possession, but he'd be a pretty dishonourable man to steal either one of them.

1 hour ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

Ser. Arthur won't be heading North after killing Ned and the other Northmen, he'd find no sanctuary there no matter who's babe he claims to have with him.

Dorne wouldn't have him even if they wanted too because they'd know Robert would invade Dorne for harboring Ned's killer. Doran isn't going to put his people at risk for Arthur or Rhaegar and Lyanna's babe after Arthur left Elia and her children to die in King's Landing even if it wasn't his choice not to be there.

It's either Essos or the Night's Watch

Sir Arthur is a living legend who killed Ned because it was his job as KG to do so. The Daynes didn’t kill Ned when he visited starfall to deliver their ancestral sword. I am pretty sure that the North would treat Arthur with the same courtesy.

Not to forget that killing a living legend from a prestigious family like Sir Arthur will require at least a trial. That can become a bit of a problem especially since it will allow the sword of the morning to demand a trial by combat. There’s only 1 person in the North who can go toe to toe with him and that man is the Greatjon. Would benjen risk his champion just to get rid of someone who bothered bringing the only living Stark (or Starkish) apart himself, home?

29 minutes ago, Canon Claude said:

He'd obviously go join Willem Darry and take the last two legitimate Targaryens under his wing. He might also take a false identity. Whether he takes Dawn with him is another story. He'd also probably have Ice in his possession, but he'd be a pretty dishonourable man to steal either one of them.

The problem here is that we don't know the exact instructions of Rhaegar to the KG, regarding Lyanna and Jon. So, although it makes sense to team with W. Darry, it may be cause of conflict with Viserys if it turns out that somehow, Jon is the actual heir.

It is also not clear how Ned won that battle. Only that Howland Reed helped.

As long as we don't know these details, it is very hard to speculate what would A. Dayne would have done.

56 minutes ago, HaeSuse said:

Lord Commander's squire/steward.

Seriously? Do you think Benjen will be happy of having a newborn + the only person with Stark blood left (ie apart from him of course) sent to the wall?

2 minutes ago, devilish said:

Seriously? Do you think Benjen will be happy of having a newborn + the only person with Stark blood left (ie apart from him of course) sent to the wall?

Absolutely. When the alternative is for Robert to kill the kid as a Targ child and heir. Why wouldn't he? 

3 hours ago, devilish said:

Lets say that Sir Arthur is the sole survivor of the tower of joy fight. Lyanna dies few hours later leaving him with a wolf pup whose also the son of Rhaegar. How would he act? Were would he go? And how would you act if you were him?

Would he ask for sanctuary at Starfall? The Daynes are a strong house but it won't be able to protect the pup for long. Robert is King and all the Lords are falling in line including the Martells. Soon enough Robert will learn that Ned is dead and that Arthur did it. He'll certainly seek revenge for that and the Daynes can't stop him

Would he move to exile at Essos? The big question is where? The Magister of Pentos might be interested in Lyanna's boy but Arthur doesn't know that. The Golden company has a soft spot towards Targ bastards. However would they take responsibility of him? Robert will probably want the boy dead and he can raise armies which are way bigger then the GC. Is it worth risking ending at the wrong end of Robert's rage especially since there are 2 true born Targs around who have more claim to the IT then Jon has.

Would he move to the North? Jon is a bastard but he still have Stark blood. Lord Benjen is young but he loved his sister dearly and he would never ever hurt her boy. The North is impossible to hold and Robert would find it hard to invade the very land that handled him the IT.

He would pull a JonCon , and claim Jon as his own .

4 hours ago, devilish said:

The child is a bastard and could not challenge King Viserys III's right to inherit.  Dayne would meet up with Willem Darry, King Viserys III, and Queen Rhaella at Dragonstone.  He would leave with them to Essos shortly after Dany's birth.  The royal children would have a better life than the hardship they had.  I'm sure Willem tried but he was already an old man raising two children. 

There is a downside.  Robert would hunt them down because Arthur will not rest until Viserys takes the throne. 

4 hours ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

That's like saying Ned wouldn't go to star fall after killing Arthur. Too perfect of a parallel for me not to point out

8 hours ago, Aegon VII said:

That's like saying Ned wouldn't go to star fall after killing Arthur. Too perfect of a parallel for me not to point out

Ned came to return the sword Dawn. Ned fought to free his sister Arthur fought to keep him away from his sister. Dorne had already lost the war if the Dayne's would have harmed Ned King Robert and the rest of the Kingdoms would smash any House who killed Ned.

They are completely different circumstances.  Arthur was a man with no friends left in Westeros and Ned's best friend was the King of Westeros with armies at his call.

13 hours ago, devilish said:

Sir Arthur is a living legend who killed Ned because it was his job as KG to do so. The Daynes didn’t kill Ned when he visited starfall to deliver their ancestral sword. I am pretty sure that the North would treat Arthur with the same courtesy.

Not to forget that killing a living legend from a prestigious family like Sir Arthur will require at least a trial. That can become a bit of a problem especially since it will allow the sword of the morning to demand a trial by combat. There’s only 1 person in the North who can go toe to toe with him and that man is the Greatjon. Would benjen risk his champion just to get rid of someone who bothered bringing the only living Stark (or Starkish) apart himself, home?

It's doesn't matter if he is a living legend or not as far as the North and the rest of the Kingdoms are concerned he helped Rhaegar kidnap Lyanna Stark and kept her hostage and then killed Ned because Ned wanted to free his sister. Ser Arthur would be a wanted man and have a price on his head. Ned was not a wanted man when he went to Starfall and his best friend King Robert Baratheon would destroy House Dayne if they harmed Ned. Ned could have kept Dawn and no one could do a thing about it but he brought it back to House Dayne on his own accord.

If Arthur goes North with a child he claims is Lyanna's he's a wanted man by the Crown who killed Ned and kidnapped Lyanna. He'd be arrested by the Northerners. Trail by combat is a faith of the seven thing and the Northerners follow the Old Gods.

Again Ned went to Starfall as a man who's best friend is King and who's father figure is the Hand of the King. Arthur would be a wanted man with no friends. 

Arthur going North after killing Ned and other Northmen makes no sense on any level especially if he brings a child who he claims is Lyanna's, and Rhaegar if you have to ask why I'll answer but it's pretty obvious. 

27 minutes ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

It's doesn't matter if he is a living legend or not as far as the North and the rest of the Kingdoms are concerned he helped Rhaegar kidnap Lyanna Stark and kept her hostage and then killed Ned because Ned wanted to free his sister. Ser Arthur would be a wanted man and have a price on his head. Ned was not a wanted man when he went to Starfall and his best friend King Robert Baratheon would destroy House Dayne if they harmed Ned. Ned could have kept Dawn and no one could do a thing about it but he brought it back to House Dayne on his own accord.

If Arthur goes North with a child he claims is Lyanna's he's a wanted man by the Crown who killed Ned and kidnapped Lyanna. He'd be arrested by the Northerners. Trail by combat is a faith of the seven thing and the Northerners follow the Old Gods.

Again Ned went to Starfall as a man who's best friend is King and who's father figure is the Hand of the King. Arthur would be a wanted man with no friends. 

Arthur going North after killing Ned and other Northmen makes no sense on any level especially if he brings a child who he claims is Lyanna's, and Rhaegar if you have to ask why I'll answer but it's pretty obvious. 

Generally speaking this.  Dayne has a problem.  He has a baby that he claims belongs to Rhaegar but Rhaegar has gone to his grave with out acknowledging him.  What's he going to do, head to Winterfell and say, "hey, I killed Ned and everyone with him but I've got this baby who is Lyanna's bastard and he's a Targaryen and will you take him off my hands?"  As far as the North is concerned Rhaegar kidnapped and raped Lyanna and now he (Dayne) is trying to pass this baby off as a Stark.  I don't care how good a knight Dayne is supposed to be, he isn't leaving Winterfell and the North alive.  And he isn't going to the Wall either.  Maybe he makes haste to Essos where the baby and he himself are an instant problem for Illyrio and Varys in an attempt to reinstall the Targs.  If the baby is Rhaegar and they can get a King to legitimize him there goes Viserys and Dany's claims to the throne.  And my guess is that Robert, after Dayne has killed his best friend Ned and is complicit in the kidnapping and rape of the woman he loved and has also run off with the child isn't just going to send Varys and some assassins after Dayne and the surviving Targs, he's coming to Essos with an avenging army.  To put Khan's words in Robert's mouth..."He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him 'round the moons of Nibia and 'round the Antares Maelstrom and 'round perdition's flames before I give him up! "

Oh and House Dayne had better get aboard with Robert pretty fast or they are going to cease to exist.  Tywin is looking to show Robert his loyalty, I think that Robert's forces get a massive infusion of Lannister soldiers. 

I think Arthur would head to his home in Starfall and give the baby to his sister Ashara to raise as a Dayne to protect Jon. This is why it is Jon's destiny and the reason why Ned went to Starfall as well  (to a degree) to wield Dawn.

On 2017-5-5 at 1:38 PM, devilish said:

It depends I think if the child was a bastard or the rightful king. If he was the king I think Dayne might have spirited him away to Essos and maybe joined the Golden Company biding his time until the time was right like Jon Connington. Or else he may have joined Willem Darry and make them recognise Jon as the heir. 

If he was a bastard then he may have been more concerned with keeping the child alive than his status as a Targ. He could have the child raised in Dorne as either his bastard, or perhaps convinced his brother or even Ashara to claim the child was theirs (by Brandon maybe if Ashara?). 

Archived