College Basketball

Rhom

And yeah the transition for WVU seemed to be pretty smooth anyway.

Same colors for Beilein, anyway.

Speransky,

I wasnt angry or surpirsed at Beileins departure either. He really did a fantastic job at WVU. If Huggins does anywhere near as well I'll be happy. I think this season may be disappointing, we're preseason 10th in the Big East, but by the 2009 season we'll see what ol' Bobby can do.

I wasnt angry or surpirsed at Beileins departure either. He really did a fantastic job at WVU. If Huggins does anywhere near as well I'll be happy. I think this season may be disappointing, we're preseason 10th in the Big East, but by the 2009 season we'll see what ol' Bobby can do.

I'm sure Huggins will get you lots of W's. He can coach, and he attracts talent. Just don't hope for a squeaky clean program, because he's the wrong man for that job.

@Cool Lester Smooth:

I'd be shocked if you don't make the tournament. You'll have a little slack so you'd have to have a terrible season to miss it. (plus I think you'll rack up enough wins regardless, because you are quite talented, young but very talented)

I'm sure Huggins will get you lots of W's. He can coach, and he attracts talent. Just don't hope for a squeaky clean program, because he's the wrong man for that job.

Eh, I'm sure everyone at WVU is aware of his alleged reputation and will take extra care to aid Huggins in keeping a clean program, no?

Eh, I'm sure everyone at WVU is aware of his alleged reputation and will take extra care to aid Huggins in keeping a clean program, no?

Umm, what? "Alleged" reputation? Nothing alleged about it. He's a (well documented) drunk, and he recruits players that top quality programs won't go near (because of academic/behavioral issues). I would be very disappointed if KU hired a coach like tHuggins.

Yeah, the Brook Lopez thing didn't make much sense, but IIRC he's back at practice now, so maybe the kick in the pants worked. Not that his education is likely to matter much, what with him being a sure-fire (if healthy, *knock wood*) lottery pick whenever he decides to go pro.

Long story short on the Cardinal this season, IMO-- they'll go as far as their point guard play can take them. The team is solid to great at every other position, but if you don't have a good no. 1, you're vulnerable. Last year, the Cardinal didn't have a good PG and it burned them time and again.

That said, I can't think of many teams that wouldn't kill to have their 2-5 be Goods, Hill, B. Lopez, R. Lopez.

IU knew about Sampson's reputation and they took him anyways... and look where that has them already. More violations.

I've always enjoyed watching Huggins' teams play. That Cincy team with Fortson was beastly and would have had a real shot at the title if he hadn't got hurt there just before the tourney. WVU does need to prepare and plan for the worst case scenario though.

Tomorrow, Kentucky plays host to Seattle U in an exhibition game that is a match up commemorating the NCAA title game from the 1957-1958 season. That Seattle team featured a little-known guy by the name of Elgin Baylor.

I know I'll get punked down for this, but where are all my MVC people at?

Go Bradley! 2007 turned out to be a bit of a Sweet 16 hangover year (my Braves got pounded by Mississippi State in the second round of the 2007 NIT), they should be primed for a run at the big tournament come March. They return the top two conference scorers from last year in seniors Jeremy Crouch (50% from 3-point range!) and Daniel Ruffin. The big test will be a home game against Michigan State on December 4th.

All the press in the MVC goes to Southern Illinois and Creighton, rightfully so. Great basketball programs. Too bad MVC schools have a hard time signing straight up home-and-home contracts with ACC, SEC, or other 'power conference' schools.

I'm so ready for college basketball. None of that Division I - BCS and Division I - Championship split of college football. Give them all a chance to get to the dance.

Ask me on any day of the year and I will tell you the same. The greatest weekend in all of sports is the Thursday to Sunday melee that are the First and Second Rounds of the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament. It lives up to the hype every year. Brackets!

Oregon returns everyone from the Elite 8 team that gave Florida a great game except Aaron Brooks, who is damn good, but we have 2 NBA'ers, maybe three on this team. However, the Pac-10 is pretty deep. UCLA is the heavy favorite and I would put them up there with UNC, KU, Memphis, and maybe a few others as some of the favorites.

There are two high school kids out of Oregon that were in every top ten you saw. One is Kevin Love at UCLA. He will be very solid. He tossed Taylor King going to Duke around like a rag doll. Boards like crazy.

The other is Kyle Singler going to Duke who is kind of a Mike Dunleavy type. A long lanky guy who can do a bit of everything. His team actually beat Love's in the state final because he had the one other good player in the game on his team (who is headed to Washington State)

Some other teams to watch I think:

Louisville. Lots of talent. Kind of like the old Pititno teams at UK where there are about 8 or 9 guys who play and the best player isn't that much better than the 5th best.

Washington State. Four starters back from their surprise team of last year. Did they sneak up on people? Or are they that good?

Georgetown. This team is hard for me to figure out. Hibbert came back and they have some other good players and two really good recruits. Was Jeff Green the glue that kept it all together, or will they be sweet this year.

Michigan. ESPN named them the most underachieving program of the last decade and I couldn't agree more. A classic sleeping giant. Will be fun to watch Belein (sp) attempt to resurrect them.

Preseason AP poll is in.

In the AP it's UNC, UCLA, Memphis, Kansas, Gtown in the top 5.

Michigan State and Indiana are in the top 10 and Tennessee is 7. I didn't think those teams would be ranked so high but I can see why when looking at the rest of the list.

I don't really see anything that surprises me just yet.. but I'm still in CFB mode right now so I'll have to come back to it.

What I said about Kentucky was moslty because they've underpeformed in the tournament and I always treat a team with a new coach with caution. I kinda lopped Kansas in there (unfairly) mostly out of bitterness. I've had really high expectations for them in the past. I shouldnt be so hard on either team since Kansas did go to the E8 and Kentucky got knocked off by Kansas.. but I've been overhyped in past years.

So Michigan State lost to Grand Valley State. I know it was an exhibition, but still...

Exhibition game or not - you should never lose to a D2 team at home. Think they'll drop out of the top 25 completely? And they were the favorite to win the Big Televen :eek:

Yeah... I just saw the Michigan State results... amazing. But these things happen early in the season in college basketball. Its a far, far different world from the haves and have-nots of college football.

Louisville. Lots of talent. Kind of like the old Pititno teams at KU where there are about 8 or 9 guys who play and the best player isn't that much better than the 5th best.

Them there's fightin' words... Pitino never coached at Kansas!!! ;)

What I said about Kentucky was moslty because they've underpeformed in the tournament and I always treat a team with a new coach with caution.

I love Kentucky with all my heart and soul, but sadly they didn't underperform the last couple of years in the tourney. They performed pretty much exactly how we expected... they piddled through the regular season and lost 12 games both years (that's why we call him 10 loss Tubby) and ended up as 8th seeds which put us up against one seed juggernauts UConn and Kansas.

If anyone ever wonders why Kentucky fans were restless with the Tubbster... From 1902-03 to 1997 Kentucky had a total of 11 ten loss seasons, Tubby had 5 ten loss seasons from '98 through '07.

So Michigan State lost to Grand Valley State. I know it was an exhibition, but still...

Great. Just great. Now the Spartans will be looking to put the smack down on the mid-majors early in the year. Thank goodness they play Bradley* at Carver Arena in Peoria and not in East Lansing.

*yes, my second mention of my alma mater in the basketball thread. Go Braves!

That's what I like about college basketball. It seems much more fluid as to where the haves and the have-nots are distributed... a couple years ago the monster conference was the Big East, the ACC had the years of dominance, and the Big Ten is always tough.

This year, the Pac Ten seems poised to make some major noise.

The ACC only has 3 teams in the top 25 this year. When's the last time they had that few? Clemson is maybe within striking distance of the top 25 - after that Virginia and the Terps are pretty far down the list of also-rans.

Archived