NHL Hockey 2!

Lord O' Bones

I'm all for mandatory neck guards as well. If you want to send a get well message to Richard (I sent a message earlier today), there's a form on this page.

On a lighter note, I hope you can see the picture on this page. If you like that, be sure to check out the next page in that thread. Maybe it's just me, but that's one of the funniest things I've seen this year.

I'm all for mandatory neck guards as well. If you want to send a get well message to Richard (I sent a message earlier today), there's a form on this page.

On a lighter note, I hope you can see the picture on this page. If you like that, be sure to check out the next page in that thread. Maybe it's just me, but that's one of the funniest things I've seen this year.

Thanks for the link to send a message.

That Leafs kid is awesome. That is hilarious. I think people will need to keep a close watch on him in 15 years. He may be climbing over the glass to get to someone.

I am against mandatory neck guards.....but I against making just about anything mandatory.

Well, Hossa has publicly stated that chances are very slim he will sign an extension in Atlanta before the deadline. Interested to see what Waddell does. Hold him as we are in a playoff race...possibly sign him in the offseason? Trade......we will get a lot for him? Interested to see how the team reacts tonight. I am sure everyone knew, but he has publicly stated it now.....conveniently after the last home game before the trade deadline.

When will it end...I was at the Wings game vs Columbus on Fri. and it was just bizarre. Detroit fails to bury to absolute slam-dunk empty nets, and both turned into goals. After that no one seemed to catch their breath.

Pace of the Detroit/Dallas game has been good for the Wings so far, but again we've got at least a couple glorious scoring chances and none of them have been buried.

Pretty entertaining stuff last night, at least if you're on the right side of the outcome.

Did Lidstrom ever actually touch the puck when Laperierre caught him? Otherwise it didn't look dirty, but I love the fact that Ian was absolutely fine with the fact that Downey came after him for it.

Detroit really needs -something- at the deadline, whether its scoring depth or an extra quality blueliner.

Looks like Mats is staying in TO. I don't really like the guy but I have to give him huge props for doing the right thing. We need more guys having the team mentality thing. Fuck all the fans who are gonna give him shit for not caring about the future, he's being a proper captain.

I don't see why the neck guards can't be mandatory as they're not all that uncomfortable and don't impede the player at all, at least not from my personal experience. I wore one when I used to play and it didn't affect my performance. Methinks the primary argument against mandatory neck guards has to do with the macho hockey crowd which consists of pretty much everybody involved in the hockey world.

I agree. I've seen someone take a Lacrosse ball to the neck and a hockey puck from a slapshot and its pretty damn nasty.

I'v never found them uncomfortable at all. But hey, people used to say the same thing about helmets.

Looks like Mats is staying in TO. I don't really like the guy but I have to give him huge props for doing the right thing. We need more guys having the team mentality thing. Fuck all the fans who are gonna give him shit for not caring about the future, he's being a proper captain.

I have to agree with this. If Toronto wants to be rebuild correctly they need someone like Sundin to lead the group of young players.

Toronto can find other ways to do a quick rebuild, especially if they can get McCabe and or Kabrele to waive their NTC's (or lower end players without NTC's like Antropov, Gill, etc). Toronto has a great chance of selecting a very good player in this year's draft, some speculating that OHL/Team Canada forward Steve Stamkos could step into the NHL much like Patrick Kane has done. And if Toronto could get a hold of another Top-5 pick there's even a number of high quality Canadian defensemen to select from.

Yeah, I think Mats made the right choice.

With Lidström, Rafalski, Kronwall and Chelios all out of the lineup, Detroit might have a tough time until some of them come back. Dallas is currently 6 points behind with two games more played.

I'm not pissed that Sundin decided to stay but it would have helped the Leafs tremendously if he agreed to leave. Mind you, when he said that winning the Stanley Cup is the greatest achievement but winning one as a team from October to June is what's important (paraphrasing here, obviously), I got a good measure of the guy's integrity. He feels that team loyalty is more important than a Cup ring, and you can't disparage a guy for that. I also like what he apparently said about being traded "it's not my job to correct John Ferguson's mistakes", something which further convinces me that he made the right choice. Ferguson gave waaaay too many no-trade clauses away to too many mediocre players, another blunder on a series of blunders in his career as GM of the Leafs. You give a no-trade clause to your franchise player and maybe another marquee player. You don't give no-trade clauses to a couple of second-or-third line defencemen or a mediocre forward. Gods that guy was an idiot.

Trade deadline day has been insane (at least in relation to the lack of big trades earlier in the season).

Here are some of the highlights from completed 2007-2008 trades

Brad Richards, Johan Holmqvist, 4th round pick in 2009 to Dallas. Jussi Jokinen, Jeff Halpern, Mike Smith to Tampa Bay.

As if worrying about Anaheim in the Pacific Division wasn't enough, I now have to consider Dallas a really serious cup contender.

Cristobal Huet to Washington. 2nd round pick in 2009 to Montreal.

What? No matter how many times I read what I just wrote, it just doesn't make any sense to me. Are they in desperate need of clearing cap space for Hossa? They better hurry up, the deadline will soon have passed.

Brian Campbell, 7th round pick in 2008 to San Jose. Steve Bernier, 1st round pick in 2008 to Buffalo.

If Campbell resigns with San Jose and if that 1st round pick doesn't give Buffalo an absolutely great player, I'm happy with this trade.

Vaclav Prospal to Philadelphia. Alexandre Picard and a conditional draft pick to Tampa Bay.

Sure, they got a player with a cool name, but I'm scratching my head over what the powers that be in Tampa Bay are thinking. They still have St. Louis and Lecavalier, but aside from them... ?

Pens acquire hossa.

man, I'm excited about this deal, but if we don't manage to sign him this is a major mistake by shero. That's way too much to give up for a rental, even though they weren't in love with esposito and EC had no real position on this team behind sid malkin and staal.

Armstrong is an important player to move, but yeah, if they can resign Hossa, it's a strong move. Certainly makes them contenders this year.

In other news, Montreal cocked up.

Gainey, what the fuck? Getting rid of a good goalie when we're in a playoff spot for a 2nd round pick... in 2009? What the hell? Now we're relying on a rookie, good but inconsistent Carey Price, and we can just hope that the underused Halek will be as good as he was at the end of last season. Goddammnit Gainey.

And Pittsburgh fucked up, big time. If they don't win it this year and Hossa decides to go... well, they've just gotten rid of some great players and future prospects.

I am very happy about the Hossa trade. I think Atlanta got a great return for him and Dupuis. I hate to see Dupuis go. He plays with a lot of heart and energy. Good PK'er. He may come back at the end of the year. I have to give Waddell props for this return.

Hossa will not resign with Pitt. They can not afford it for one. Hossa has already said today after the trade that he is not thinking about an extension.

Archived