NHL Hockey 2!

Lord O' Bones

Questionable kneeing call? That was an attempt to injure.

No. not at all. he didn't even lead with the knee. it was an attempt to finish a check. There's simply no way to look at that video and see intent to injure, and nit would appear the league agrees since there wasn't a suspension. unless they are still reviewing it.

You talk about the ref's going after Ruutu for who he is, well maybe he shouldn't knee hunt after Kovy just because of who he is.

he shouldn't. And he didn't. My main objection was to the fighting major though. Which was a bad call by any estimation, since he didn't fight.

I will grant that not all the replays look that bad. Some of them you can't see anything. There is a close up one that shows him pivot his knee towards Kovy right before he hits him. He purposely stuck out his right leg to hit him.

We'll just have to disagree. To me it's a pretty fluke incident of a guy trying to finish his check, and being not quite fast enough, and an incidental knee to knee contact. I don't even see him sticking out the knee, so to determine intent to injure, or intentional knee hunting on something that isn't even really visible is pretty dubious to me.

YMMV.

Dirty play on one of the best players in the league this year.

Who's been guilty of worse himself.

And Yes McCarthy should go after him no matter what the consequences(penalties/game misconducts).

I agree. You have to respond. That doesn't make it a dirty hit, and it doesn't justify the fighting major to ruutu.

Hopefully Kovy's back soon.

Agreed.

I think he did it on purpose. I just get a laugh at people who say Kovy did it to himself by trying to avoid the check. That happens all the time. He would have ended up in the stands if he did not move. No glass behind him to adsorb the check. Oh, well. Water under the bridge at this time.

Thrashers have responded well. Great win last night. We really need to win tonight against Washington and Ovechkin. That guy is incredible.

So it looks like I went overboard when I speculated how good the Ducks would be during the last part of the regular season.

What has happened to the Canucks lately? Have they put too much pressure on Luongo to carry the team?

So it looks like I went overboard when I speculated how good the Ducks would be during the last part of the regular season.

What has happened to the Canucks lately? Have they put too much pressure on Luongo to carry the team?

Regarding the Canucks: 4 of their top 6 D-men are out with injuries, Brendan Morrison is gone with wrist surgery, Luongo is obviously (and understandably) distracted by the health of his wife who is going through a difficult pregnancy that has her in a wheelchair.... other than that, the Canucks are dandy.

Just found out that the Vancouver Canucks are missing their entire Top-6 on defense, which is quite possibly a first in NHL history.

Ohlund - Salo

Mitchell - Bieksa

Krajicek - Miller

Edler

currently

Edler - Weaver

Bourdon - McIver

Farm Scrub - Farm Scrub

Farm Scrub

Note: Bourdon and McIver are basically rookies. Weaver is a pint-sized veteran with an extreamly limited skillset. Edler is considered to be a future all-star defensemen for the Canucks that's drawn comparisons to a young Lidstrom with less skill on offense.

Bieksa - Freak skate cut to his calf muscle that has put him out for nearly the entire season. Won't be returning till late-February or early-March.

Salo - Fractured his wrist earlier in the pre-season because he wasn't paying attention, came back and seemed to have lost his slapshot scoring ability (had 14 goals last season and only has 1 this year). In November/December he was injured again after taking a puck in the face that crushed his nose and sinus. Now he's out with a groin injury.

Ohlund - Missed a number of games due to a concussion. Missing next game due to personal reasons.

Miller - Missed all of training camp with a groin injury. Took a puck off the foot/leg last game that's put him out of the lineup.

Krajicek - Slipped and fractured/sprained his ankle while walking on a rain covered sidewalk in Washington D.C earlier this season. Now appears to have re-agrivated a shoulder injury he had surgery on 2? seasons ago.

Mitchell - Is suffering from a fractured bone in his back that should keep him out 1-3 weeks.

I almost couldn't believe it, but then I remembered I'm a Canucks fan.. we're used to this shit.

Wow. I had no idea things were that bad out there. Should be an interesting game anyways. Let's see Roberto show what he can do!

It will be. Luckily it appears Dallas is having injury trouble of its own and could have 3 rookie defensemen playing tomorrow.

The Canucks need a win badly.

Lots of rumors going around about a Hossa to Montreal deal.....

I'm suprised to hear this. Their offense appears to be clicking and they would likely loose some of their youth scoring depth.

Nasty!!!

The NHL should switch to sharpening the blades in a way that cannot cut you bad. I know there was a company peddling it about and they claimed it didn't effect skating performance. Someones gonna die from that. I recall Clint Malarchuk and Borje Slaming got bad cuts from skates before.

I'm not sure if anything can be done. In a contact sport like this it's just a freak accident. I bet if there was decent skates that couldn't cut you then everyone from the pro's to tim bit's hockey would use them. Every sport can have it's accident's, this is just one of ours.

Hopefully a speedy recovery for Zed. Really liked him in Montreal 5 years back.

Scary. I agree with Habber that I am not sure what can be done. Maybe players can have the choice to wear neck protection like they have the choice with a visor. This does not happen much b/c players are very aware of what their skates can do, and try to keep them on the ice for the most part. Unusual that you have two skate incidents in two days....Zed and the linesman in the Philly game. The lines got 60 stickes and a broken jaw.

Speedy recovery to both....

I don't see why the neck guards can't be mandatory as they're not all that uncomfortable and don't impede the player at all, at least not from my personal experience. I wore one when I used to play and it didn't affect my performance. Methinks the primary argument against mandatory neck guards has to do with the macho hockey crowd which consists of pretty much everybody involved in the hockey world.

Archived