A Dance with Dragons cover art

Jussi

I was hoping that Voyager would have released the UK cover as well, but no such luck. They're a bit more interesting and colourful than the US ones.

However, I am mildly emo that this is the first time we won't get an illustrated cover :( These sigils and symbols are cool 'n' all, but there was something great about the Sandor/Beric fight on the cover of ASoS and the Titan of Braavos on the (unused) cover for AFFC.

Wert,

The correct comparison would be to the Jaime Lannister cover by Stephen Youll that went unused by Bantam. :)

I recognize the image from a very common collection of heraldic clipart. I think I even have the Dover book in question. That's pretty geeky, isn't it?

I recognize the image from a very common collection of heraldic clipart. I think I even have the Dover book in question. That's pretty geeky, isn't it?

I was thinking more along the lines of 'cheap' :unsure: (and geeky as well ;) ) I'm sure the Bantam books look nice in the flesh, so to speak, but they do look very simplistic for what is now obviously a major series for them. The UK covers, although they're not exactly over-complicated or anything, are better I feel.

OTOH, it could be worse. Tor's Erikson covers, anyone? (shudders) If ASoIaF had the same art director, no doubt the cover for ASoS would have been of the dwarfs capering around on the dogs, with the artist catching them mid-tumble :rolleyes:

And it's the second major epic fantasy release this year with a predominantly green cover. Wonder if it's a trend...

I'd just like to point you all to a thread I started on July 2, 2007 over in the General board concerning the cover art. It can be found here.

In there, in my musings on the cover art I said:

I'm bored at work staring at the ASoIaF books on my shelf with the "new" hardback covers and it has me dreaming of the day far, far off in the distant future when A Dance With Dragons will sit there with them.

So what do you think the cover design will be?

I've decided green with a heraldic Targaryen Dragon on the spine/cover. (Yes... I'm that bored.)

Also, with me being a bit OCD about my books matching... what do you think the chances are of us making it to the end of the series with the current "style" of the book jackets? I only had the paperbacks of the old covers and when Feast came out, I decided I needed the hardbacks of all the others to match..

I think (or hope) this is just a first attempt at the cover. Bantam's Feast for Crows cover has a stylized crow w/ a crown on it that's glossed and raised off the rest of the cover. GoT, CoK, and SoS are done the same way, so I'd like to see the dragon done in a similar fashion.

Archived