Lost Season 5 Thread 1

Werthead

[quote name='Plunja of Braavos' post='1595811' date='Nov 21 2008, 00.57']Where the numbers came from might have been explained but it doesn't explain why Hurley constantly saw those numbers everywhere on his way to the airport to catch the LOST flight? Or does it? That's still a weirdness that hasn't been fully explained.[/quote]

The numbers are basically an equation that holds the key to the world's survival, so apparently them recurring all the time is simply a side-effect of their very existence (a bit like the way '42' would show up randomly in the HHGttG books, although nowhere near as prominently) and it becomes notable when someone is actually aware of their existence.

Although I think the producers realised the Numbers were going a bit too far into la-la land and pulled back on using them so much.

I also know that [b]Lost[/b]'s continuity mastermind, Gregg Nations, is infuriated whenever anyone mentions the polar bears, as he convinced the writers to put about several more mentions of them in the series after Season 2 (when it was explained why they were on the Island) and even stuck Kate and Sawyer in the polar bear's original cages for half a dozen episodes of Season 3 when the producers thought it was massively redundant. And people [i]still[/i] want to know where they came from :stunned:

[quote]Woopee, Wert's guide to Lost is back. For all us lost and lazy souls who can't be bothered to sift rumour from spoiler from truth.[/quote]

I live to serve :smoking:

Season 5 publicity poster [url="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_n3eH1jI8AZ8/SSSN74kOzkI/AAAAAAAAMNs/c43mJSL5fxc/s1600-h/LOST+S5+Promo.jpg"]here[/url]. Interesting contrast between the on-island and off-island crews.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1596159' date='Nov 21 2008, 05.50']Season 5 publicity poster [url="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_n3eH1jI8AZ8/SSSN74kOzkI/AAAAAAAAMNs/c43mJSL5fxc/s1600-h/LOST+S5+Promo.jpg"]here[/url]. Interesting contrast between the on-island and off-island crews.[/quote]

And why is there a big gap on the right?

SPOILER: gap
cough Jin cough

[quote name='Werthead' post='1596159' date='Nov 21 2008, 05.50']The numbers are basically an equation that holds the key to the world's survival, so apparently them recurring all the time is simply a side-effect of their very existence (a bit like the way '42' would show up randomly in the HHGttG books, although nowhere near as prominently) and it becomes notable when someone is actually aware of their existence.[/quote]

Where is this actually explained on the show, though? As far as I can remember, all we know about the numbers is that they needed to be entered into the computer to stop the electro-magnetic forces from doing their crazy thing. When did we learn that they were an equation that holds the key to the world's survival?

[quote name='Brahm_K' post='1597665' date='Nov 22 2008, 22.08']Where is this actually explained on the show, though? As far as I can remember, all we know about the numbers is that they needed to be entered into the computer to stop the electro-magnetic forces from doing their crazy thing. When did we learn that they were an equation that holds the key to the world's survival?[/quote]

In the spin-off web game. Apparently this was a result of the writers deciding they needed to back off from the numbers as they were too weird. The explanation was originally supposed to be in the show itself.

Personally I thought it was so they could come up with another, less bewildering explanation for them in the meantime, but they're adamant this won't happen. The explanation stands. However, given that the DHARMA Initiative was supposed to be investigating the numbers as one of several different goals:

SPOILER: Lost S5
and S5 apparently features a lot of flashbacks to the heyday of the DHARMA Initiative, we may well get to see more of them in S5.

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1597905' date='Nov 22 2008, 23.22']I gotta say, I'm not recognizing the person to the right of Hurley...[/quote]

It's Desmond. Hard to recognize him without the beard.

At least it's still the same face, though. The person who looks to be an entirely different person is Juliet. Maybe it's just the angle and the way the light is coming in, but she looks like a total stranger.

[quote name='Mack Kilimaro' post='1597933' date='Nov 23 2008, 01.35']It's Desmond. Hard to recognize him without the beard.[/quote]

Ah yes. I'd forgotten that he's the unknown member of the Oceanic 6...in that he wasn't actually one of them, but he made it off the island anyway...

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1597934' date='Nov 23 2008, 00.37']Ah yes. I'd forgotten that he's the unknown member of the Oceanic 6...in that he wasn't actually one of them, but he made it off the island anyway...[/quote]

The sixth person of the Oceanic 6 was Aaron, if I remember right. Desmond stays on Penny's boat, wasn't part of the public deception. Ben's grouped with the off-island people too because he was sent away when he moved the island, and he's not grouped with the plane survivors either.

[quote name='Mack Kilimaro' post='1597943' date='Nov 23 2008, 00.50']The sixth person of the Oceanic 6 was Aaron, if I remember right. Desmond stays on Penny's boat, wasn't part of the public deception. Ben's grouped with the off-island people too because he was sent away when he moved the island, and he's not grouped with the plane survivors either.[/quote]

Oh I know Aaron was the sixth member...that's why I called him the unknown seventh member of the Oceanic Six... :P

[quote name='Werthead' post='1596159' date='Nov 21 2008, 04.50']Interesting contrast between the on-island and off-island crews.[/quote]

Team Jack and Team Sawyer. Let's Roll!

It will be interesting to see how Sawyer will handle the pressure of increased leadership responsibility this season. I assume Locke will continue to be "the crazy guy messin' around in the jungle", so that will pretty much make Sawyer "the boss" of the survivors on the island.

Lost seems to have fully recovered (in terms of quality) the past couple of seasons. And towards the end of S4, the show was really starting to build up some momentum. I expect good things from S5.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1597690' date='Nov 22 2008, 17.30']In the spin-off web game. Apparently this was a result of the writers deciding they needed to back off from the numbers as they were too weird. The explanation was originally supposed to be in the show itself.

Personally I thought it was so they could come up with another, less bewildering explanation for them in the meantime, but they're adamant this won't happen. The explanation stands. However, given that the DHARMA Initiative was supposed to be investigating the numbers as one of several different goals:

SPOILER: Lost S5
and S5 apparently features a lot of flashbacks to the heyday of the DHARMA Initiative, we may well get to see more of them in S5.
[/quote]

Wow, they answered one of the biggest mysteries of the series in a web game? The numbers were weird, but introducing them and then not explaining them in the show itself is a huge copout, IMO (and anyway, this show has a monster made out of smoke, so I fail to see how bad luck bringing numbers is weirder than that). Hopefully, as you say, they'll get some exposure in season 5.

Of all the characters on that season 5 publicity poster, is it odd that I find Miles Stromm to be the most intriguing? Even in the poster, the guy has a look of "What am I doing here?"

Here's to hoping that they do season 5 right.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1596159' date='Nov 21 2008, 06.50']Season 5 publicity poster [url="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_n3eH1jI8AZ8/SSSN74kOzkI/AAAAAAAAMNs/c43mJSL5fxc/s1600-h/LOST+S5+Promo.jpg"]here[/url]. Interesting contrast between the on-island and off-island crews.[/quote]

Couple more thoughts on the poster:

Hurley, Ben and Sawyer all seem to have eyes for Jack. It really doesn't feel as though Sawyer is looking at Kate.

Whatever Jack's looking at off in the distance seems to be the same direction that Juliet is looking.

Miles isn't looking at Sawyer, he's trying to get a look at Locke.

Kate's focus is Sawyer, obviously.

[quote name='Mack Kilimaro' post='1597933' date='Nov 22 2008, 21.35']It's Desmond. Hard to recognize him without the beard.

At least it's still the same face, though. The person who looks to be an entirely different person is Juliet. Maybe it's just the angle and the way the light is coming in, but she looks like a total stranger.[/quote]

It's kind of like they forgot that she's supposed to be on the island without a hairdresser and make-up. They did fine with the redhead and the others on the island side looking unglamorized, but she looks like she just left the Island Boutique.

• 3 weeks later...
[url="http://spoilerslost.blogspot.com/2008/12/new-sneak-peek-and-message-from-darlton.html"]New preview and vidcast [/url]from the producers.

They answer a surprisingly major spoiler question:

SPOILER: Lost
The smoke monster was on the Island before DHARMA arrived. That seemed likely from events in S3 and 4, but interesting to have it confirmed. They also seemed split on whether the DHARMA runway will reappear.

I don't think either the hats or the music were entirely necessary though :stunned:

Here's [url="http://spoilerslost.blogspot.com/2008/12/new-promo.html"]another S5 promo[/url] with some different footage.

Looks like they're really going for broke with the marketing for this season. It's still five weeks away!

Archived