College Football 2008

WarGalley

[quote name='WarGalley' post='1508034' date='Sep 6 2008, 19.14']Just saw the Washington-BYU finale. Very stupid rule. I hate it. I'm not sure if they can change the rule before the season is over, but they should. Very stupid.[/quote]

I can see why the rule was implemented but the way it was applied here was just idiotic. It really should cost the ref his job. No excuse for inserting himself into the game in that momement. Mayyyybbbeee in the first or second quarter that call is made, but with two seconds left? Just disgusting.

that Washington call is just absolutely pathetic. The ref should be fired and the rule needs to be adjusted/eliminated. Preventing unsportsmanlike taunting is one thing, penalizing a team for making a clutch play and bumping chests with a teammate is another.

this will generate a lot of sympathy for Ty Willingham though. I do hope the ref is fired. because if he's fired that generates a huge chilling effect on any other ref in the country inserting themselves in the game and calling this bullshit penalty for the rest of the year.

Buffalo is keeping it close to Pitt, 9-10 at the half.

My Cal Bears are destroying Wazzu right now. I wish I could get this game but I'll have to content myself with the ESPN scoreline which reads 42-3 at the half. Maryland on the other hand looks like crap against middle tennessee state. I'm have a good feeling *knock on wood* about next weekend.

[quote name='lockesnow' post='1508065' date='Sep 6 2008, 18.53']that Washington call is just absolutely pathetic. The ref should be fired and the rule needs to be adjusted/eliminated. Preventing unsportsmanlike taunting is one thing, penalizing a team for making a clutch play and bumping chests with a teammate is another.

this will generate a lot of sympathy for Ty Willingham though. I do hope the ref is fired. because if he's fired that generates a huge chilling effect on any other ref in the country inserting themselves in the game and calling this bullshit penalty for the rest of the year.

Buffalo is keeping it close to Pitt, 9-10 at the half.[/quote]
I was so a team get called for that in a game at Michigan and all the player did was give his fraternity salute.

ND sucks again having trouble with a team that lost to Cal Poly.

East Carolina looks scary or the ACC and Big East are very weak.

Well, there's been a bunch of condolences for S.John, but allow me to quote from one week ago:

[quote]Hahahahahahahaha

Oh my, if Wannstache and Shittsburgh go down on the same day as the Chokies I don't know that I'll be able to contain myself.

I'm sorry, only one more item of rubbing it in and I'll stop: That blocked kick, what an incredible play. It does not get anymore poetic than that, beating VT on a blocked kick.[/quote]

I'd like you to meet someone...her name is Karma. She's a real bitch.

In other news, VT beat Furman 24-7 after holding a commanding 3-0 halftime lead. :sick:

Haha, well that was simply retaliation for your reaction over the Pitt debacle last year. If I had known we'd go down to the same damn team the next week I wouldn't have said a word.

Whatever, I'm 10-12 beers deep about to head out the door, soon I wont even know what football is. Enjoy yourselves tonight. :cheers:

27-16...*sigh*. Though not unexpected, still a little disappointing.

That sack of Willy when it was 17-16, that sorta sealed the deal. It was the chance for Buff to go ahead and when they couldn't it was only a matter of time for Pitt to score and for the Bulls to not be able to answer again.

[quote name='HokieStone' post='1508087' date='Sep 6 2008, 20.14']In other news, VT beat Furman 24-7 after holding a commanding 3-0 halftime lead. :sick:[/quote]

Yea, we get the W this way. Thats huge for the guys on the team, but all things considered this sounds as bad as losing last week. We only got 3 points on 1-AA team in the first half when all things were equal. The second half in a game like this isn't even fair and we won on conditioning and depth alone. We won't have that advantage against anyone but Western Kentucky or maybe Maryland from here on out, at least not to the same degree.

Were you at the game HS? Is it as bad as I think it is right now?

Re: Washington- The ref's timing couldn't have been worse and he's an idiot. By the rulebook though he made the right call. Locker did throw the ball in the air, no matter what ESPN is saying. The problem is with the ridiculous celebration rules and the even more ridiculous crackdown the NCAA is enacting on said violations.

[quote name='Lukkake' post='1508101' date='Sep 6 2008, 19.02'][b]Re: Washington- The ref's timing couldn't have been worse and he's an idiot. By the rulebook though he made the right call. Locker did throw the ball in the air, no matter what ESPN is saying. The problem is with the ridiculous celebration rules and the even more ridiculous crackdown the NCAA is enacting on said violations.[/b][/quote]

I would agree with that if they called it all of the time; however, there have been a lot of touchdowns were the player tosses the ball into the air and it was not called. The rules state the player must toss the ball high into the air, how high is too high, that's up to the interpenetration of the ref.

I don't think the Washington refs should lose their job, but they should have ignored the call. Yes, the letter of the rule was violated. The rule needs to change, and the refs need to know when not to make calls.

I don't know whether Washington was robbed; 15 yards is still not that much, and it was still blocked, not missed. Even if made it doesn't guarantee anything. But refereeing should never make people wonder about the outcome of the game. And in this case, it did.

The Ducks are still a bit scary; they turned it over twice, didn't get any turnovers and lost Johnson to a shoulder injury early. But they otherwise dominated, looked good on defense and their running game looked crazy.

I went to the UGA game today. [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFtszXrC0R0"]Moreno is fucking awesome. This guy is the best RB in the nation. [/url] Our Offense looks great. Moreno, Stafford, King, Massaqua, Green, everyone. I am worried that our defense at times can not get pressure on the QB. We need more from our DE. Besides that, very impressed. The easy stuff is over. Nothing but tough games ahead with South Carolina next week. they always play us well.

I do not think Miami liked that last field goal. Randy did not do much of a handshake with Urban. Maybe he can write a book this offseason about how he will not forget about it.

The penalty against Washington was bullshit. Let guys show some emotion. It looks like the NCAA wants to take all the fun out of the damn game.

Surprised about WVU. Not sure what to think about them. Not sure if ECU is that good or VT and WVU have slipped a good bit this year.

I doubt OSU drops in the polls. Everyone wants 1 vs. 3 next week.

[quote name='TheHoundRules' post='1508171' date='Sep 7 2008, 01.19']Surprised about WVU. Not sure what to think about them. Not sure if ECU is that good or VT and WVU have slipped a good bit this year.[/quote]

Not trying to take anything away from ECU, they are solid on both sides of the ball. A good football team. But IMO both VT and WVU are down this year. WVU beat ECU 48-7 last year, thats an ass-kicking. Something ain't jivin' at WVU. West Virginia is no doubt more talented on both sides of the ball and yet ECU made us look stupid. I just couldn't help but feel like our talent was not utilized. Thats a problem. I'll tell you, I had really hoped that after Dickrod left we wouldn't miss a beat, but we will. This will not be the only game we lose this year.

[quote name='Lukkake' post='1508101' date='Sep 6 2008, 22.02']Were you at the game HS? Is it as bad as I think it is right now?[/quote]

No, I had to work on Saturday...and I had already decided not to spend $200+ on gas to go see a 1-AA team. Since I was working, I didn't even get to see or listen to much of it. I know this - we scored our 3 TDs in a roughly 3 minute span in the 3rd quarter. So, take out those 3 minutes, and we only score a FG.

Is it as bad as you think? Unfortunately, I think it is. The defense is down this year - but I'm not exceedingly angry about that. Bud deserves to have an off year every 5 years or so. The kids are young...I think the D will be OK by the end of the season. The offense...what can you say. We're stuck with the same knucklehead of an OC, and O-line is still woefully behind where they should be.

[quote name='TheHoundRules' post='1508171' date='Sep 7 2008, 01.19']I went to the UGA game today. [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFtszXrC0R0"]Moreno is fucking awesome. This guy is the best RB in the nation. [/url] Our Offense looks great. Moreno, Stafford, King, Massaqua, Green, everyone. I am worried that our defense at times can not get pressure on the QB. We need more from our DE. Besides that, very impressed. The easy stuff is over. Nothing but tough games ahead with South Carolina next week. they always play us well.

I do not think Miami liked that last field goal. Randy did not do much of a handshake with Urban. Maybe he can write a book this offseason about how he will not forget about it.

The penalty against Washington was bullshit. Let guys show some emotion. It looks like the NCAA wants to take all the fun out of the damn game.

Surprised about WVU. Not sure what to think about them. Not sure if ECU is that good or VT and WVU have slipped a good bit this year.

I doubt OSU drops in the polls. Everyone wants 1 vs. 3 next week.[/quote]

:lol: knowshon pulled a sam mcguffie...someone needs to tell him that that move is trademarked. ;)

I hate to say it but the U is back....at least defensively. Their defensive impressed the hell out of me. If Miami's defense can keep up that level of effort, they have a real chance of winning the ACC. Nix needs to open up the offense, because Maerve looks like a keeper. I'm very thankful we don't play Miami for another 5 years.

I'm glad we won, but I'm really not a fan of Meyer's spread offense. It doesn't have a running game and the running plays take so fucking long to develop. His offense will work against average defenses, but it really struggles against good, fast defenses. Everybody always thinks Spurrier's offense was just about passing, but he always had a good running back. I miss those days.

I don't have a problem with Meyer kicking that field goal. Was it necessary? Absolutely not. But it's not Meyer's job to care about Miami's feelings. If a team feels like it needs to tack on a last second touchdown against the Gators for whatever reason, then go right ahead. Besides the UF-Miami series has a history of last second field goals. In 1982 (I think) Howard Schnellenberger kicked a last second field goal against Florida when Miami was already up three touchdowns. He was pissed, because Florida fans were throwing oranges at his team during the game. For some dumbass reason there was a citrus promotion at the game and they handed out oranges. They never did that again.

[quote name='H von T' post='1508460' date='Sep 7 2008, 12.42']I'm glad we won, but I'm really not a fan of Meyer's spread offense. It doesn't have a running game and the running plays take so fucking long to develop. His offense will work against average defenses, but it really struggles against good, fast defenses. Everybody always thinks Spurrier's offense was just about passing, but he always had a good running back. I miss those days.[/quote]
Fred Taylor is still the starter in Jacksoville after ten years.

Spurrier relied on a dominating running back and a quarberback who could check into running plays given the correct defensive alignment. His fault was that some of his passing plays took too long to develop and his quarterback would get creamed.

[quote]I don't have a problem with Meyer kicking that field goal. Was it necessary? Absolutely not.[/quote]

You have to pay $15000 just to get into the lottery for season tickets for one year at Florida. People pay big money to watch the coach run up the score.

Archived