Board really slow

Slick Mongoose

We've had this problem in the past, and Amazon seems to have sorted it out for a long while. Basically, it's their server that's having the problem at the moment, and it's delaying things a bit I'm afraid. Hopefully they'll have it sorted out shortly.

• 3 months later...
I'm posting this to see if it's just me, but is the board a tad slow lately? Nothing major; just a short delay after clicking on links, esp. links to threads. I've noticed it over the last week or so, but more so today after the crash.

I thought it might be my computer or my net connection, but everywhere else is fine... just here is slow.

ETA: E.g., when clicking on links to threads (from the View New Posts list), it takes anywhere from 5 to 15 seconds for the thread to come up. Used to be fairly instantaneous.

I've noted it to Sparks (server admin). Possibly in whatever crash took out the database, some optimization settings were lost, and maybe that can be fixed. Alternatively, the board is finally groaning under the weight of so many old, unpurged posts. In that case, once I hear from her, if it turns out pruning the forum is a good idea, I'll have to schedule a long down time to let the board start chewing through old posts.

[quote name='Ran' post='1754248' date='Apr 14 2009, 02.11']I'll have to schedule a long down time to let the board start chewing through old posts.[/quote]
Well, just, you know, let us know. It would prevent many board-related deaths. ;)

Yeah, the board is reminding me of an elderly and nearly deaf relative at the moment. You click on something and then have time to go away, put dinner in the oven and then come back again before the next page loads. It is running slower than Dragonmount at the moment :stunned:

That's an exaggeration, surely? I'm not getting performance that slow at all. It's more a momentary hesitation before the next page loads, a second or two at most. Unless Amazon.com is acting up again, I suppose.

I'm easily getting delays of 5-10 seconds. Been that way since I posted last week. I don't think it's because of Amazon because when that was happening before, my status bar would be stuck at "assoc.amazon" something or other. Now, it seems to get stuck either at "Waiting for asoiaf.westeros.org..." or "Connecting to asoiaf.westeros.org...".

It's not an Amazon issue for me (they've been blocked since the last time their servers made the board unusable). That said, the board is running more slowly. I've had it hang for 5 seconds or more, just loading a page. It's not consistently that slow -- sometimes it's only a two or three seconds -- but it's enough to start getting annoying.

I'm easily getting delays of 5-10 seconds. Been that way since I posted last week. I don't think it's because of Amazon because when that was happening before, my status bar would be stuck at "assoc.amazon" something or other. Now, it seems to get stuck either at "Waiting for asoiaf.westeros.org..." or "Connecting to asoiaf.westeros.org...".

Yup. This is what I've been experiencing, too. Maybe it just hates Mets fans?

All right, guess it's just my end. I don't think I can do a big clean up today, but I guess we'll schedule a long down time this weekend and start pruning to see if that helps. I'll also consult with Sparks to see if there's any configuration magic she can work. :)

All right, guess it's just my end. I don't think I can do a big clean up today, but I guess we'll schedule a long down time this weekend and start pruning to see if that helps. I'll also consult with Sparks to see if there's any configuration magic she can work. :)

:)

That's cool. I mean, hell, we're closing in on a million again. Surely not all of that is quality (except for my posts, of course, which are PURE GOLD.)

That's an exaggeration, surely? I'm not getting performance that slow at all. It's more a momentary hesitation before the next page loads, a second or two at most. Unless Amazon.com is acting up again, I suppose.

There was an update to one of my Firefox plugins that seemed to be causing problems for all my Internet access. Now it's down to a somewhat more manageable 10 seconds for posts and 20 seconds or so for forums. Still slightly irritating though :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've given it a few days but there doesn't seem to have been much of an improvement. Pages are still taking a while to load. It's not as bad, maybe down to 10 seconds or so, but still nowhere near as fast as it was just a couple of months ago.

• 2 months later...

Okay, the board's been so slow for me at several points today it's been unusable. Don't seem to be having any problems with any other sites, but the board has been erratic. It's okay right now, for example, but it took about an hour after hitting 'post thread' for the Lost thread to appear in Entertainment, and when it did for some reason it appeared twice. Very weird. The wiki has also pointblank refused to load for most of the day but is okay now.

:(

Archived