The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

2 hours ago, direpupy said:

but the actual hatching happened some time before that

I think that is not really clear:

On the last day of the year [130 AC], two hundred forty-one “barefoot lambs,” [...] were covered with pitch and chained to poles along the broad cobbled thoroughfare that ran eastward from Cobbler’s Square up to the Dragonpit. [...]

“Rhaenyra the Pretender was gone, her dragons dead, the mummer kings all fallen, and yet the realm knew not peace,” Septon Eustace wrote soon after. [...]

[Aegon II] started with the crownlands, sending forth his own men and the stormlanders of Borros Baratheon against Rosby, Stokeworth, and Duskendale and the surrounding keeps and villages. [...]

This campaign proved a grave mistake, for it only served to harden the hearts of the late queen’s men against the king. Reports soon reached King’s Landing of warriors gathering in great numbers at Winterfell, Barrowton, and White Harbor. [...]

Even more grave were the tidings from the Vale, where Lady Jeyne Arryn had assembled fifteen hundred knights and eight thousand men-at-arms, and sent envoys to the Braavosi to arrange for ships to bring them down upon King’s Landing. With them would come a dragon. Lady Rhaena of House Targaryen, brave Baela’s twin, had brought a dragon’s egg with her to the Vale…an egg that had proved fertile, bringing forth a pale pink hatchling with black horns and crest. Rhaena named her Morning.

It seems to me it was already some time into 131 AC when the Greens learned about Morning, so she could have hatched very early in 131, as well. I would not consider 129 AC an option anymore, though.

1 hour ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

It seems to me it was already some time into 131 AC when the Greens learned about Morning, so she could have hatched very early in 131, as well. I would not consider 129 AC an option anymore, though.

This all sounds like its happening in the first few weeks of 131 so yes its an option, but in the chaos of the war news of the hatchling might not have come out untill some time after it hatched. Also Rhaena lost her first hatchling shortly after it hatched so she might not have wanted it made public untill she knew for certain that it would survive, and because a dead hatchling would also be bad omen others would probably agree so 129 is to my mind still an option.

13 minutes ago, direpupy said:

Also Rhaena lost her first hatchling shortly after it hatched so she might not have wanted it made public untill she knew for certain that it would survive, and because a dead hatchling would also be bad omen others would probably agree so 129 is to my mind still an option.

If Morning had already hatched when Joffrey Velaryon went to King's Landing, he would have told his mother for sure and the small council would have known, too. So I think Morning had not hatched at that point. Anyways, I am not adamant about this.

2 minutes ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

If Morning had already hatched when Joffrey Velaryon went to King's Landing, he would have told his mother for sure and the small council would have known, too. So I think Morning had not hatched at that point. Anyways, I am not adamant about this.

It is rather vague but i do think the range of the hatching should at least include 131, so in that regard you have a good point.

10 hours ago, direpupy said:

As far as i can tell its because the beginning of 131 is when the greens heard about Morning, but the actual hatching happened some time before that. 

I guess it depends on how fast the greens heard about it and i do not have my copy of F&B at hand right now to check the wording.

You're right. Here is the wording:

As the city’s septs rang their bells to signal the end of the old year and the coming of the new, King Aegon II proceeded along the street (thereafter known as Shepherd’s Way, rather than Hill Street as before) in his litter, whilst his knights rode to either side, setting their torches to the captive lambs to light his way.

[...]

Even more grave were the tidings from the Vale, where Lady Jeyne Arryn had assembled fifteen hundred knights and eight thousand men-at-arms, and sent envoys to the Braavosi to arrange for ships to bring them down upon King’s Landing. With them would come a dragon. Lady Rhaena of House Targaryen, brave Baela’s twin, had brought a dragon’s egg with her to the Vale…an egg that had proved fertile, bringing forth a pale pink hatchling with black horns and crest. Rhaena named her Morning.

The Greens learned about Morning's hatching at the start of 131 AC but we do not know when the hatching occured exactly.

My guess is that Morning was born in late 130 AC because one would assume such news would be spread rapidly after the birth. As far as we know Rhaenyra never learn about it. However, we know Rhaenyra received letters from Jeyne Arryn when she was staying at Duskendale in between her flight from the capital (~late 9th moon of 130 AC) and her death at Dragonstone (22th day of the 10th moon of 130 AC).

Quick note, folks, we are testing moving the wiki to a brand new server. The DB is up to date through the 16th, but any changes made after that may be lost ATM. Apologies for that. I would suggest not doing much work until I give the all clear. Hammering out some issues still.

ETA: Also, those who make family trees and maps and such which uses specialized extensions, if you can poke around and see if those still seem to be looking right, let me know. And any other issues, let me know! 

Edited by Ran

Okay, folks, so far I've seen no issues and the server is now steady, so I think we're fine to say that you can now work on this wiki. Do let me know if there are any issues with things like uploading images, getting thumbnails made, etc.