Help me lose (or gain) weight

Bellis

I never ate ANY until this year. And now I like them. Well, some of them. I don't like squashes. I'm down with the beans and carrots and broccoli and califlower and celery.. the regular ones! :) Greens are ok.

I never ate ANY until this year. And now I like them. Well, some of them. I don't like squashes. I'm down with the beans and carrots and broccoli and califlower and celery.. the regular ones! :) Greens are ok.

if I can add a sauce to them and grill them, I don't mind squash (like as part of a kabob)

Maybe that is what I need to do?

What I really need to learn to eat are more veggies. I hate that I don't, but we were never served them as kids and I never learned to like them.

Many vegetables can be more tastefull if you do them with a little bit of olive oil. For example, celery: You can take fresh celery (the root), and cut it in slices and prepare them as if you are making a steak. You put sell and pepper on each side, and maybe some herbs. You heat a little bit oil (not more than a spoon) in a pan and fry them with, until they are goldish. They can be eaten alone, with some mashed potatoes.

LP, your food today sounds great. It's a long time since I did quinoa.

I ate two slices of fullgrain bread with sugar reduced jelly this morning. (I can not eat too salty in the morning, so I eat either müsli (full-grain oatmeal, dried berries, rasins and some cereals) with or without fruits, or two slices of bread with a sweet spreading. That helps me over the entire morning.) I drink tea.

For lunch: I had two small vegetable quiches and a salad of Romaine Lettuce and Tomato with olive oil, balsamico, basil and salt.

In the after-noon, I had simple oatmeal with a mix of berries, for my second attack of sweet teeth, but without additional sugar.

What I really need to learn to eat are more veggies. I hate that I don't, but we were never served them as kids and I never learned to like them.

best advice ever. :)

Cook, if necessary, only enough so that they are a bright color - it's amazing how full you can become just from veggies because of all the fiber.

Lany, LP - just watch what you use for the sauce, soy or otherwise, or it may severly impact how beneficial the veggies are.

hey great stories, everybody! this thread became much more cuddly over the last 24 hours.

locke, I shall check out those books. I'm pretty well read on the subject, but you never know, I'm open to learning something new.

minaku, my alcohol consumption is way down from where it was- if I have more than a single beer in an evening it's a rare event. I'm gearing up for another round of no-carbing it, which *sigh* necessarily means no beer either, but my head isn't in the right place for that yet. Aside from the fact that alcohol effectively stops your metabolism while it's in your system, for me the other ill effect is it breaks down my willpower regarding eating all sorts of crap. Screw the salad, give me the blue cheese burger and batter dipped onion rings, por favor. With ranch. and maple syrup.

Isk, yes, it's interesting how eating specific foods becomes so ritualized with me. I remove so many items from my diet, but there's always something else that crops up to take it's place.

I'm off today which means I can take my time, do a solid workout, and then have some tasty organic goodness from Whole Foods afterwards. :) I'm partial to the curry chicken salad and cranberry orange scones.

Lany, LP - just watch what you use for the sauce, soy or otherwise, or it may severly impact how beneficial the veggies are.

A couple tsp's of olive oil and some pepper is delicious.

I just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying all the 'cuddliness', too. Thanks for sharing your stories, everyone. And ztem, I found your post really helpful. As someone who has quit alcohol and smoking, I can definitely see the addiction elements in the way I treat certain foods and in the way I consider meals a reward-for-working-all-day experience. But I hadn't quite thought of it in the way you articulated, so thanks.

I just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying all the 'cuddliness', too. Thanks for sharing your stories, everyone. And ztem, I found your post really helpful. As someone who has quit alcohol and smoking, I can definitely see the addiction elements in the way I treat certain foods and in the way I consider meals a reward-for-working-all-day experience. But I hadn't quite thought of it in the way you articulated, so thanks.

np. :)

here's a little inspirational music for today's workout.

Bring the pain.

The last few posts in this thread (not yours, ztem) have me planning to dig out my delicious veggie recipes to try them out on the Things, poor brats. :) I have a very easy vegetable soup recipe, if anyone wants it, but I was thinking of putting it in the board dinner party thread.

You know what's also challenging that no one has brought up yet?

When your spouse eats way differently than you do.

I've had to coax Darling gently onto the ways of wheat bread. So far, he's gotten to honey wheat. I'm going to try and transition to "Nature's Pride" whole grain next (no HFCS) and see if he'll take it. I also got him onto low sugar jelly only after the scare a few years ago with his triglycerides and cholesterol.

His mom did white bread and Southern cooking (all fat all the time, mostly fried, with a lot of sugar). She also has some particularly disgusting recipes that he follows for fruit cobbler (self rising flour, chunks of butter) and potato casserole around the holidays (whole cartons of cream cheese).

It is very much the same in my house. XH2 eats like 5x more than I do and the worse stuff. I have limited his cooking for the family to Sundays only. I make steak on the grill, green salad and rice, he makes Italian sausage with peppers and onions with chips. :lol: It is a good thing he works nights all week or I'd never be able to eat well at home.

The DW and I have never eaten the same foods. She was a vegetarian when we met-then morphed into the eat right for your blood type diet. Now she is gluten, dairy, pork free in addition to the eat right blood type diet. We just make dinner at different times and I cook for the kid.

It works out okay for us, because we eat badly in different ways. I love carbs and sweets, and would happily eat an entire chocolate cake for breakfast, lunch, and dinner if I could get away with it. He thinks such things are disgusting, and prefers to indulge in extremely greasy food and pop, both of which I find nauseating. It lets us both help the other one, since we're rarely tempted at the same time.

We do often have to cook slightly different meals. He likes his food far spicer than I can tolerate, and I eat very little meat. He usual adds spices afterwards, or we cook at the same time in two different pans. We rarely have two completely different meals, but they're rarely the same, either. Some things are just compromised on. For example, Sunday I made a veggie pizza for us. Pizza is far from one of my favorite foods, but he loves it. He was less thrilled about the whole wheat crust, but it was worth it for the pizza.

I still eat poorly - well about 50/50 but the bad stuff is just less of it. My bad.

Also - I recently read a book:

You On A Diet. It tells you what fat is and does to your system short and long term and it scared the bloody hell out of me. Good book.

Archived