Israeli Forces attack Aid Flotilla to Gaza

WhiteHaven

Also, one of the big questions now:

What is Israel gonna do with all the people they took into custody?

According to Swedish media, the Swedish detainees were given a choice of either voluntary immediate deportation or getting arrested, detained and prosecuted. At least 4 of them seem to have chosen the latter. It's believed they did this because the first option involves signing some sort of confession. Since apparently they include a Swedish MP and a bunch of highly educated types, I don't see them falling for this.

Are all the swedes accounted for? Last I heard two were still unaccounted for.

Dror Feiler apparently got a "slight facial injury" considering his history I'm not surprised some IDF soldier punched him in the face :P

Also, one of the big questions now:

What is Israel gonna do with all the people they took into custody?

I think the bigger question pertains to all the doom cement that Israel has now acquired. Thankfully the doom cement has been kept out of the hands of Al-Quehamas, but now Israel can use the doom cement for its own nefarious ends. This doom cement must be either properly disposed or handed over to another party.

I think the bigger question pertains to all the doom cement that Israel has now acquired. Thankfully the doom cement has been kept out of the hands of Al-Quehamas, but now Israel can use the doom cement for its own nefarious ends. This doom cement must be either properly disposed or handed over to another party.

We'll take it. You can trust Canada. B)

I have never, nor do I ever intend to believe that statement.

Hey we use our nuclear materials to produce medical isotopes and power. We need something to strike fear into the hearts of our enemies, and the hockey stick isn't cutting it anymore.

The peach movement may be large and strong and active, but I'd say it's not exactly visible

/snip

And thank the gods for that. Fruit should stay in the bin where it belongs.

Worse than doom cement, IMO.

The "weapons" found onboard the ship:

Kitchen knives and tools mostly, with a sling-shot and 1 or 2 actual knives.

What ship randomly carries dozens of sling shots and iron clubs? There was clearly some premeditation going on.

What ship randomly carries dozens of sling shots and iron clubs? There was clearly some premeditation going on.

The flotilla wasn't just bringing food and Armageddoncrete. They were bringing all sorts of supplies.

Like toys. Toys like slingshots.

And what iron clubs? I saw a bunch of tools and knives and shit.

An interesting article on the PR war being wagged here: http://www.stratfor.com/weekly/20100531_flotillas_and_wars_public_opinion?utm_source=GWeekly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=100531&utm_content=readmore&elq=ec0dbb5abd264ff39b3645c5d73e93b4

It is vital that the Israelis succeed in portraying the flotilla as an extremist plot. Whether extremist or not, the plot has generated an image of Israel quite damaging to Israeli political interests. Israel is increasingly isolated internationally, with heavy pressure on its relationship with Europe and the United States.

The Israelis will argue that this is all unfair, as they were provoked. Like the British, they seem to think that the issue is whose logic is correct. But the issue actually is, whose logic will be heard? As with a tank battle or an airstrike, this sort of warfare has nothing to do with fairness. It has to do with controlling public perception and using that public perception to shape foreign policy around the world. In this case, the issue will be whether the deaths were necessary. The Israeli argument of provocation will have limited traction.

Also, this probably isn't gonna help any: http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2010/5/31/871762/-Breaking:-Israel-shoots-young-American-Peace-Activist,-she-Loses-Eye

An American solidarity activist was shot in the face with a tear gas canister during a demonstration in Qalandiya, today. Emily Henochowicz is currently in Hadassah Hospital in Jerusalem undergoing surgery to remove her left eye, following the demonstration that was held in protest to Israel’s murder of at least 10 civilians aboard the Gaza Freedom Flotilla in international waters this morning.

21-year old Emily Henochowicz was hit in the face with a tear gas projectile fired directly at her by an Israeli soldier during the demonstration at Qalandiya checkpoint today.

And a 3rd one on the PR situation: http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/operation-mini-cast-lead-1.293417

This action also featured the pathetic focus on "public relations," as if there is something to explain, and again the sick question was asked: Why didn't the soldiers use more force.

Again Israel will pay a heavy diplomatic price, once which had not been considered ahead of time. Again, the Israeli propaganda machine has managed to convince only brainwashed Israelis, and once more no one asked the question: What was it for? Why were our soldiers thrown into this trap of pipes and ball bearings? What did we get out of it?

If Cast Lead was a turning point in the attitude of the world toward us, this operation is the second horror film of the apparently ongoing series. Israel proved yesterday that it learned nothing from the first movie.

And what have we instead? A country that is quickly becoming completely isolated. This is a place that turns away intellectuals, shoots peace activists, cuts off Gaza and now finds itself in an international blockade. Once more yesterday it seemed, and not for the first time, that Israel is increasingly breaking away from the mother ship, and losing touch with the world - which does not accept its actions and does not understand its motives.

Yesterday there was no one on the planet, not a newsman or analyst, except for its conscripted chorus, who could say a good word about the lethal takeover.

Toys my ass.

There is a big pile full of slingshots at :30, a couple dozen iron clubs at :37, improvised wood clubs at :41, and perhaps the most glaring of all: a big pile of gas masks at :50.

Toys my ass.

Yes, slingshots are toys. Just like BB guns.

In fact, the only thing that sets off any alarm bells there is the jar of rocks.

a couple dozen iron clubs at :37,

That looks like construction material to me. Specifically, scaffolding.

improvised wood clubs at :41,

Yes, hunks of wood (although admitedly one seems to have a grip fashioned on it). The rest look like chair legs or something.

and perhaps the most glaring of all: a big pile of gas masks at :50.

Gas masks on a ship?!?!? The HORROR!!!! Are they gonna scare the IDF with their funny voices?

It's a pile of random stuff that would make sense on a ship full of random relief supplies that could be improvised into a weapon. If they were really preparing for a fight, why didn't they have any sort of actual weapon.

If they were really preparing for a fight, why didn't they have any sort of actual weapon.

Those are real weapons. They are exactly the type of weapons these "activists" wanted. Lethal enough to provoke the Israelis into using excessive force, but simple enough to maintain the pretext of innocence.

Those are real weapons. They are exactly the type of weapons these "activists" wanted. Lethal enough to provoke the Israelis into using excessive force, but simple enough to maintain the pretext of innocence.

So, they wanted to be shot and killed? Is that what your saying here? Because coming up against soldiers with guns will do that, kill. You really think the people who died on that ship wanted to be martyrs? From what I've read, those activists don't seem to be the dying for Allah types. Is it possible they thought they were defending themselves? Because a slingshot against a gun is ridiculous, no matter how much a slingshot can ouchie... :unsure:

Archived