Dragon Age 2

Relic

So far so good. As I stated earlier, I had the first one on console but got the pc version this time. It's taken me some time to get used to the controls. Console is much easier to move and pan around but I love the easy access to menus on pc.

Story-wise...

Who knew Flemeth had such a kicking body under those robes!!

People on the bioware forums are saying that there are importing issues; it imports from Origins a-okay, and then as DAII progresses, mangles the import until it's pretty nothing like the one you originally started with. Any of you guys had this issue and if so, does it really affect the game? Yeah, I'm figuring they'll patch it eventually, and can deal with it if it barely affects the story etc., but if it totally screws things up I may have to not import or wait for the patch.

I'm still waiting for my copy, as we don't get it till Friday.

Wow- that didnt take long. DA2 already up on torrents.

fuck'n pirates.

They'll be the first to bitch if/when it comes back to bite them in the ass with fewer new games.

Sure as shit, they won't be producing much new stuff other than entitled rants and youtube bitchfests.

anyway - i'm heading home to install my LEGIT copy.

So I haven't even started playing and already problems. Social site keeps logging me out, and during one of these times I tried entering my promo code for the entitlement key (Black Emporium) and it tells me to log in. I log in, try again, and it tells me the code has been used. Nothing is listed for it in my entitlements which means I cannot download it, humbug.

Edit: And now it shows, I think Firefox may have been screwing me over.

Playing now as a Male Rouge. Lot of fun so far, but goddamn fucking bioware social forums. My fucking EA account won't let me log on, and if I try to use my email account to start a new Bioware login it fucking tells me I already have registered with that name.

Can't get my fucking Dead Space armor.

fuck'n pirates.

They'll be the first to bitch if/when it comes back to bite them in the ass with fewer new games.

Sure as shit, they won't be producing much new stuff other than entitled rants and youtube bitchfests.

anyway - i'm heading home to install my LEGIT copy.

And they'll always be the first to acknowledge that pretty much no games are worth $50/60 as well. I haven't bought a new game since Mass Effect 2 and not one before that since Rock Band 2 simply because games are way too expensive; but I haven't pirated any either. The music industry is finally having to drop their CD prices so that they (since the artist in most cases doesn't get shit from CD sales) only do very well rather than huge fucking pay-day all day ee'ry day and I wouldn't be surprised if the video game industry had to do the same when people realize that EA Games, etc. will put out tons of shitty half-made games as long as people put out $60 for them. I've seen conflicting figures from within the industry about whether game sales as a whole are up or down, but a quick look at wikipedia shows that some of the best selling games of all time shipped since the recession began, so the video game companies really can't complain about that. Pirating games from companies like EA Games and Activision won't cause fewer good games to be made, I think it'll cause fewer shitty ones to be made. I predict that in the near future the industry will undergo a metamorphosis the same way the music industry has; larger companies that refuse to be competitive and use more innovative policies concerning the way they release, price, and produce games will give way to more independent producers or the rebirth of old bought out studios that will publish most of their content digitally (look at the success of Angry Birds and Xbox Live Arcade) that are more concerned with quality control than spamming the market with more shitty EA Sports clones, more halo spin-offs, movie games, etc.

Got it for PS3 today and it's amazing. Don't listen to all the crying going on at the BioWare forums. Most, if not all, gaming sites have given it 8.5+ out of 10. Check IGN and Gamespot. I really think it is an improvement over the first. I imported my Origins save, and so far I haven't seen any reference to anything I've done in it. But, I'm not really that far, as I've been doing a lot of sidequests. The fighting is a lot more fun. I have a male Warrior right now, but when your a Mage, it's actually fun instead of just sitting there waiting for your spell to fire randomly. DAII is just as great, if not better, than DA:O. If you're worried about it, go rent it first. And if you like it, buy it!

The PC analogue: Pirate it, then buy it :D At least that's what I did for ME and DAO.

Don't drive Tobin to murder!

My consensus so far? I'm enjoying it.

Cons to me: Camera, the dumbed down inventory as far as item descriptions, and I dislike the narrative style that jumps around and thrusts you right into the middle of different parts. For the narrative and jumping through time, I understand that works for books like ASoIAF, but it's not what I think should be leveraged for what is touted as an RPG. I should have complete control over my character's history and choices, not only during certain brief periods of his life.

Pros: The new combat style, skills trees, graphics, etc.

Overall? I like it and hope future mods fix all my gripes (except the narrative).

*grumble*grumble*

I equate pirates to /hackers and gold pharmers - sucking scum.

but this board is a nice place, so i'll play nice.

I played only for a little bit so far (still dealing with WoW issues) and a few impressions:

• it's pretty
  • Much faster combat
  • damn camera feels like it's on skates
  • I can't tinker with their stuff? but they need new shoes...and Mom needs a fricken sweater!
  • Templar boy needs to step out of my face - Apostate = Not Taking Your Shit, Fancypants.
  • the difficulty curve is rediculous (Hard: So, I'm supposed to fight a red-con ogre and continuous waves of 10+ hurlocks with only three characters since my healer just got bashed into the ground? Oh, I get 5 potions to split among all of us! Nice. Thanks. Normal: Oh, so now the Ogre suddenly doesn't resist everything I toss and the waves are down to 4 hurlocks for each of us. This is...tolerable...)
  • --that was the point my computer BLUE SCREENED - which it hasn't done in probably 8 years--

So, I guess I'll get a little farther tonight.

Hopefully.

I got it last night but I couldnt play I had a damn raid to go to. Humbug

Tobin what are your thoughts on the game overall? Is it fun?

I'm a mage at heart - so that's what I'm playing first. I imported my HN-Q Rogue game, but haven't seen anything that I recognize yet.

Haven't played it long enough to really settle on an opinion yet (I think I blue-screened after about 20mins play).

It's very different - so it's taking me a little bit to get used to things.

I liked how in DA:O I had more control over pacing and the tactics seemed to work better - DA2 made me feel like I was trying to juggle hampsters while iceskating. Not sure if it was a bug, but it seemed like the tank never took a potion unless I forced her to - despite having the tactics set up for it.

I also have to reserve my opinion on control issues because I've been having problems with my wireless mouse&keyboard - so I don't want to curse the game unfairly for hardware stuff. I'll put fresh batteries in and see if that improves things.

The no friendly-fire thing is really taking some getting used to - I'm not sure I actually like that.

It encourages you to just blast away instead of using tactical decisions so you don't kill your own guys. I guess you could chalk this under the 'dumbing down combat' heading.

The textures are a little strange - it's like its high rez in some things and low rez in others, so it makes things look a little displaced sometimes...

All this stuff might be contributed to the game being new and my computer acting funny after the WoW patch finished. I'll do a full diagnostic, driver update and virus scan tonight to see if that fixes things.

Archived