How do you cope with the rising cost on gasoline?

Waldo Frey

The gas hit $4 last night. The rumor goes around that it will be $5 on Memorial Day.

It seems that the public has an air of resignation in this matter. Three years ago, GW was blamed for his ties with his Texan oil barons when the gas price was around $4. There was a clamor about tapping the national oil reserve or cutting the gas sales tax. Nowadays there is not much noise at all.

Are the gas price in Europe rising fast as well?

A gallon in Britain is about £6.27. Ignoring the difference between a US gallon and an Imperial gallon for the sake of my limited maths skills, that means a gallon in Britain costs $10.24.

In other words, my heart bleeds.

The gas hit $4 last night. The rumor goes around that it will be $5 on Memorial Day.

It seems that the public has an air of resignation in this matter. Three years ago, GW was blamed for his ties with his Texan oil barons when the gas price was around $4. There was a clamor about tapping the national oil reserve or cutting the gas sales tax. Nowadays there is not much noise at all.

Are the gas price in Europe rising fast as well?

It is insane. I don't have much of a commute. It's only 7 miles from my door to my office, but that's also where my daughter's pre-K is so I often have to go home to get Henry off the bus and then go back to the college to get Delia from pre-K. I've started leaving about 15 minutes early and just picking Delia up when I leave the office instead of coming back. Ser Stripe has a huge commute. It's about 70 miles each way. We just suck it up... although we did start going to the grocery store that offers gas discounts when you use their discount shopping card for groceries.

Hereward,

I understand gasoline is more expensive for you and others in Europe and has been for some time. That doesn't make riseing gasoline prices in the US any easier for the average US consumer to deal with.

OK, I understand it's not easy. Though as incomes are higher in the US and price rises are faster here, especially at a time when wages are not rising and taxes are rising sharply, unlike the US, then I would say that it very much is "easier for the average US consumer to deal with".

Traded in my V6 truck and bought a turbo diesel sportwagon. It gets 45 miles per gallon. I occassionally bike (with trailer) to pick up my son from daycare depending on the weather and my schedule.

OK, I understand it's not easy. Though as incomes are higher in the US and price rises are faster here, especially at a time when wages are not rising and taxes are rising sharply, unlike the US, then I would say that it very much is "easier for the average US consumer to deal with".

Stiff upper lip and all that. Pip, pip, cheerrio.

I just bought a fancy new car which gets poorer mileage than my old beater did, and has a big gas tank that requires premium gas. That first $80 fill-up was... difficult. I've calculated it costs $8 a day just to drive to and from work, and about $25 for the round trip to my girlfriend's place. But yeah, I knew what I was getting into when I bought the car. I'm just sucking it up. And I'll take gas money contributions from my friends when we go on road trips up to Maine and whatnot this summer.

Guest Raids

We don't have a car.

I'm cool with the increase in cab fares to help cover the difference though - this kind of thing really hits them hard. Think about tipping your cab drivers extra at times like this.

I will actually be renting a car this weekend, so it will affect me then. Man do I wish a zip-car like system would catch on more generally at airports, train stations, etc. Renting cars is such an enormous pain in the ass. And that way, the gas would be built right into the cost of the rental, which would be great.

This weekend, instead of driving from northwest Michigan all the way down to southest Michigan, stopping in mid-Michigan, I would have totally considered taking a zipcar from the airport for one day, returning it the next, catching a train to mid-Michigan, repeat with the zipcar, and then another train to the Detroit airport, and home, and then metro from National to my apartment. I would have logged about 120 miles instead of 312 miles driving.

None of this is feasible with the current wait in line, deal with dipshit rental agent, etc. car rental system. But if you're just showing up, hopping on a train, getting off, grabbing the car and getting out of there, it seems totally reasonable.

Now if only trains were fast and cost-effective. And existent. Right, that.

I am lamenting these prices in a way I have not had to in years. In CO I could bike and bus everywhere. Here, I have a 14.1 mile (one way, so 28.2 miles round trip) commute every day. And that really is the best commute possible since if I lived closer, my husband would end up making that same commute but going the other way. I bought a tiny car that gets good gas mileage, but it's still crazy expensive. I need to find a way to carpool.

I mostly just have to eat the extra costs. My workplace has effectively non-existent commuting options (it's a 20-minute drive, but a 2 1/2 hour bus commute if you hit all the stops right and the driver isn't running late).

I'm grateful I have a sedan with decent gas mileage.

I walk and use public transportation. I actually drive only a total of about 2 miles a week, to the grocery store and back on Sundays. Should probably just get rid of the car, but it is so useful on those occasions that I drive back up north to see the folks.

I actually had no idea gas prices were rising until I randomly walked past one in the district last weekend and really did a double-take; I hadn't heard anyone mention that were rising that badly again.

A gallon in Britain is about £6.27. Ignoring the difference between a US gallon and an Imperial gallon for the sake of my limited maths skills, that means a gallon in Britain costs $10.24.

In other words, my heart bleeds.

Maricopa County, AZ - 9,224 sq mi (23,891 km²)

Northern Ireland - 5,345 sq mi (13,843 km2)

Wales - 8,022 sq mi (20,779 km2)

I'm betting we drive just ever so slightly more than you do.

I'm fortunate in that I can take the bus 28 of the 30 miles in to work (in the city).

My car only gets about 22mpg city and 26 mpg highway. We recently bought a 2001 Honda Civic which gets about 35 mpg average. This is to make up for the 2003 Tundra that only gets about 15. But we need the truck too often to warrant getting rid of it.

The real problem is when these price increases find their way into the cost of pretty much everything else. We don't live in a climate that would support year round farming so we rely on super markets for at least 70% of our food. Most, if not all, supermarket food has to be transported significant distrances and the gas prices drive up food prices. And then there are the other 'essentials' that have to be shipped to local stores - cleaning supplies, clothing, etc.

So this isn't so simple a matter as curbing one's driving habits.

Maricopa County, AZ - 9,224 sq mi (23,891 km²)

Northern Ireland - 5,345 sq mi (13,843 km2)

Wales - 8,022 sq mi (20,779 km2)

I'm betting we drive just ever so slightly more than you do.

Yeah, each time this topic comes up people talk about the relative cost of gasoline/liter in the US and Europe. Definitely the Europeans pay more per liters, but do numbers exist on how much folks spend (relatively) per month on gasoline?

Archived