[BOOK/TV SPOILERS] Episode 10 Preview

I'm seeing a surprising amount of non-reader comments suggesting that they might not stick around with Ned gone, both in youtube comments and in the comments on EW and other review sites...hopefully by the time episode 10 rolls around and they get to see the awesome finale stuff, that'll change. :worried:

I totally get it.

I was super bummed out when Ned died, but then became stoked on the journey of other characters. Tyrion really started standing out as a great character for me in CoK, and it was great having Jaime chapters.

Then I almost wanted to stop reading when Winterfell was destroyed. And again after the Red Wedding.

It just goes to show how well both the books and the show have characters we really care about. People will be bummed out, but they'll be back for Season 2.

I really hope the non-readers stick around, especially Larry - his reviews are just too cute! I wanted to give him a hug when he burst into tears over Ned's death. :(

There several moments when I was too heartsick to continue reading the first time, but even at the time I knew it was just a temporary feeling. I was too invested in the story, and too thirsty for Stark vengeance, to stop. I'm hoping that the non-reader audience will come to feel like this. By now they've had some time to cool off from Ned's death.

Sunday can't come fast enough - yet I don't want it to come either. How can we be asked to wait one more year to see A Clash of Kings played out on screen??

What's really surprising to me isn't the non-reader's reaction to Ned's death, but the fierce loyalty to Drogo of all characters. The OtakuASSEMBLE guy said he'll tune in for episode 10 but is done with the series if Drogo dies. WTF? He's probably just hamming it up a bit for the camera but still, maybe they made Drogo too likeable in the show or something. Hopefully Dany's big finale will center the attention back to her on that continent.

As far as the lack of time-filling events for this episode, I disagree. Here's what we'll likely get (no particular order):

-Dragons (duh)

-King in the North

-Jon's escape, return, and the start of the ranging

-Arya, Yoren, and the rest heading out of KL

-Joff tormenting Sansa

-Tyrion with Shae, and then with his father getting sent to KL

-Bran's last dream

-Cat talking with Jaime (apparently moved from book 2 to now instead...will she possibly release him a season early???)

And there's room there for some HBO-screated scenes, but I think what's there is plenty. Several of these are extremely pivotal moments in the entire series and they'll have some room to breathe and let us take in the emotions of everything.

I doubt that Cat would release him a season early. she hasn't met Brienne yet and she plays a big role Jaime's turn around. I know they've done some softening of his charector, but i think she still needs to be with him when he's set free.

I agree that showing Arya leaving King's Landing with Yoren and Co. is a better stopping point for Arya's storyline than Ned's execution. Both Hot Pie and Lommy Greenhands have been cast this season (but not Jaqen H'ghar or Rorge or Biter as far as I can tell).

I wonder if we'll get Hot Pie's story of kicking a boy to death in the balls. :ohwell:

Wonder how the king in the North will go down without Riverrun and the Tullys. It was more epic in the book due to the fact it wasn't just the northern banner men pronouncing Robb King but everyone present. Also IIRC I thought it was a good quarter of the way into CoK before Catelyn first interrogates Jaimie yet in the preview it seems its moved to this very season.

It's her last chapter in Clash of Kings.

I still don't like that the showed the King in the North, that was a very major end of the first book, but anyway, what can we do... Hopefully they will show a lot of Renly and Stannis in preparation for season 2, perhaps just to give full focus to the War of the Five Kings, and show who the major players are. Also, I can't wait to see those dragons!!!

I wonder... It would definitely have to be someone who is not very important...

The actor who plays Renly has said there is no more of his character for the rest of his season.

If the viewers don't stick around, then so be it. It just validates the cowardice formulaic TV that people put out because they can say that people actually don't want a real story, despite them supposedly clamoring for it. It's like how everyone wants a smaller government but no one actually wants to cut any programs (err just using that as an example, don't want to get into politics).

I'd rather the show be canceled than go the route of True Blood (though that's not going to happen I'm pretty sure).

I hope they don't skimp on the dragons like they did the battles. I know they said in interviews they worked hard to get them right....but they said that about the battles too. My biggest fear now is that Dany will step in the fire, close up of the eggs, they crack and credits roll.

True, I forgot that her release of Jaime was more because of Brickon "dying".

BTW, does anyone know if this is last episode will be longer than the usual 60 minutes?

I don't have a reference right now, but I believe it is 53 minutes; if so, that would make it one of the shortest episodes, maybe the shortest. Episode 8 was 59 minutes and Episode 9 was somewhere inbetween.

I did not see the preview spoiler because I watched the episode on the HBO app and they don't show previews. I also have the episode recorded on my DVR but after seeing people complain about the spoiler (I still have no idea what is being spoiled; I just started the first book last night =p ) I don't think I'm going to watch the previews. I trust that even though they killed of Ned (who I thought was the main character) the series will still hold the interest of most viewers. It still has mine, anyway.

I hope they don't skimp on the dragons like they did the battles. I know they said in interviews they worked hard to get them right....but they said that about the battles too. My biggest fear now is that Dany will step in the fire, close up of the eggs, they crack and credits roll.

That wouldn't be the worst thing. The show is already renewed for a second season, and they've hired a bunch of SFX artists for the next season - they might want to wait for that to show the dragons. I'm torn on that - but I think crappy dragons are much much worse than no dragons.

That wouldn't be the worst thing. The show is already renewed for a second season, and they've hired a bunch of SFX artists for the next season - they might want to wait for that to show the dragons. I'm torn on that - but I think crappy dragons are much much worse than no dragons.

I concur. This is an occasion where showing a little and promising more for next season should work

EDIT though then we would miss the reaction of Rakharo etc to the dragons which would be a small shame

Could this episode have reports of Renly and Stannis' claims coming in, and Cat leaving for the south to parley with Renly? It's way too soon for her to free Jaime.

I'd love next season to open with Maester Cressen. :happy:

Could this episode have reports of Renly and Stannis' claims coming in, and Cat leaving for the south to parley with Renly? It's way too soon for her to free Jaime.

I'd love next season to open with Maester Cressen. :happy:

The Cressen scene sold me on the series after AGoT almost broke it for me. I can't wait.

My biggest fear now is that Dany will step in the fire, close up of the eggs, they crack and credits roll.

I actually wouldn't have a problem with this, as long as they made it unmistakably clear what just happened (dragon screams, shadows, the dothraki and Jorah all wide-eyed and awestruck, etc). If our choice is between that and crappy CGI, I would choose the former - but obviously if the CGI is good enough it'd be fine.

Archived