The One Week ADwD Countdown

BarrileteCosmico

Since I live in Pakistan I will sadly have to wait for an additional 8-16 days for it to be delivered to my house. So basically, the wait is AT LEAST another 2 weeks for me. It will be so hard avoiding the ADwD forums till then, as you lot are all discussing the book. I just hope the mods do their job and keep the place spoiler free.

I preordered the Kindle eBook, which, on the one hand, means there's no chance of me getting it early, but, on the other, there's no chance of me getting it late. Hurrah!

One of my friends suggested a ADWD release party (like we used to have for Harry Potter releases). Maybe I'll do ASOIAF-themed cocktails? Some hippocras, perhaps?

I'm the "Martin has overcome the worst knots in his story with ADWD and the final two books will come more quickly now that the plot is tightening up and the characters aren't so spread out." I think to believe otherwise will drive me mad, so even if I'm deluding myself, I'd rather be positive than sad when I'm done reading ADWD. Also, I think it's likely that the HBO series and the newfound popularity of his books will have reinvigorated him and give him additional motivation.

Personally, I expect he is actually done or near done with entire plot lines for certain pivotal characters (you know, the ones that have the greatest influence on the story he wishes to tell), and his problems have been with writing the supporting cast in believable roles which will allow those plot lines to more or less stand.

For example, he has finished Dany's story, but needs to make sure that Sansa's story makes sense as it progresses in parallel, that kind of thing.

It's six days now. After a six years wait.

Still debating whether to get "sick" and read it in one day, or impose myself a discipline of a maximum three chapters per day (and avoid internet for two weeks).

I'm planing to go by the Mom and Pop bookstore in my small town on Friday afternoon and act like a totally innocent idiot while I ask if, perchance, they have a copy of ADWD for sale... :ninja:

I'm the "Martin has overcome the worst knots in his story with ADWD and the final two books will come more quickly now that the plot is tightening up and the characters aren't so spread out." I think to believe otherwise will drive me mad, so even if I'm deluding myself, I'd rather be positive than sad when I'm done reading ADWD. Also, I think it's likely that the HBO series and the newfound popularity of his books will have reinvigorated him and give him additional motivation.

2 Books. Quickly.

L. O. L.

I remember when after Game of Thrones was published, I, too, couldn't wait for the last 2 books to come out (when it was only a trilogy). Then again after book 3, I couldn't wait for the final 2 books to come out (when there would be 5). So, don't hold your breath. My money is on 9 books, but I'm giving good odds to those who think he will do it in 7 ;o)

Also, I must say I am impressed with Bantam/Voyager/Whomever's ability to keep electronic forms of the book under wraps. I am quite adept at finding whatever I am looking for on the internet/usenet/etc., and this is the first time I have been unable to find an anticipated book (in one electronic form or another) less than a week before the hardback release. Looks like the only leaks have been on physical copies, and not electronic ones. Doesn't bother me, as after a decade I am quite content to wait until Tuesday, but yet I was quite surprised not to find it in my usual underground haunts. So kudos to the key-keepers, whom it appears none of which gave into the temptation to make a personal copy and share it before the public release.

I remember when after Game of Thrones was published, I, too, couldn't wait for the last 2 books to come out (when it was only a trilogy). Then again after book 3, I couldn't wait for the final 2 books to come out (when there would be 5).

It was never going to be a 5 book series.

It became a 4 book series while he was writing book 1. He skipped 5 and went straight to 6 when he realised that he couldn't wrap up what he needed in book 2. Book 3 didn't change that, as he finally wrapped up that arc.

Splitting book 4 into aFfC and aDwD has meant that we jumped up to 7 books. GRRM is still saying 7 books. This is the first time he has actually got within 2 books of finishing. I think he means it.

Some of us have been waiting 10+ years for news of some of our favorite characters.

I've been waiting 19 years for the 5th book in the War Against the Chtorr series, with the two main characters left in quite a dangerous situation. Suck it up!

Ok everyone, I need some help. I only have twenty dollars until weds. Which should I get, the e-book version for my nook at midnight, or should I just get a hardcopy? The e-book is cheaper, but I would have to use a credit card and then I wouldn't have a hard copy. And the hardcopy, I would have to wait a WHOLE 7 HOURS more to read it because my neighborhood bookstores don't open till 8 or 9...........

Voyager Books, one of ADwD's publishers, have released a free ADwD app for iPhone:

An App and an Icon of Dragons

Voyager is delighted to announce our new, free Dance with Dragons app. Available in all countries with App Stores excepting Canada, the US and the Philippines for your iPad or iPhone, the app provides the perfect companion to Martin's gargantuan and multifarious Song of Ice and Fire series, offering expert synopses of all the titles, a unique 'select your house' game, a glimpse at George's schedule and an exclusive extract from A Dance with Dragons, Martin's long-awaited new novel. ... We’re thrilled to be able to offer this app to George’s dedicated fans as a reward for their patience in waiting for A Dance with Dragons and hope you all enjoy the exciting range of features.

They've also published a nice ADwD-icon:

http://www.voyagerbo...dragonsicon.jpg

Archived