The Logistics of Dancing with Dragons

A poster on a Hungarian message board reported that his ADWD order shipped from amazon.com (US) already 5 July. But then again, since he lives far away and chose the cheapest shipping option, his estimated arrival time is 5 August. I think that once amazon are certain that the book will not arrive too early, they ship even before the official street date.

I live in the middle of relatively nowhere in New England, and I have a delivery date of the 12th (I have Amazon Prime and did the 2-day shipping with delivery on release date option), but it's still totally "not yet shipped" up. The nearest city to me is Boston, which isn't exactly crazy far away but is still at least two hours away on a good day, so not exactly in my backyard; it's not like there is a distribution center down the street from me. I just want them to ship the stupid thing!

Also a middle of relatively nowhere New Englander here, and in my experience with UPS it just has to reach the Shrewsbury hub by Monday night to get to me the next day. Neither UPS or USPS do anything on Sunday so anyone being told it "shipped" today it just means it's in the box with a shipping label on it sitting in a pile somewhere. It's not going anywhere until tomorrow.

Also a middle of relatively nowhere New Englander here, and in my experience with UPS it just has to reach the Shrewsbury hub by Monday night to get to me the next day. Neither UPS or USPS do anything on Sunday so anyone being told it "shipped" today it just means it's in the box with a shipping label on it sitting in a pile somewhere. It's not going anywhere until tomorrow.

Ah, okay. I was going through tracking of old Amazon shipments to my house here in New England (I also get stuff shipped to me at school in Chicago), and they tend to go from Philly to Connecticut to Shrewsbury MA and then up to me. Generally leaving two days before in the afternoon from Amazon, getting to Shrewsbury at about 8pm-midnight, and going out for delivery the morning of expected delivery. So if it ships at some point in the next few hours it will probably be okay, unless for some reason Amazon is doing more centralized shipping for a big release like ADwD and going to air ship everywhere (which would maybe make sense security-wise after the fiasco with Amazon.de but really doesn't seem to make much sense cost-wise).

I live in the middle of relatively nowhere in New England, and I have a delivery date of the 12th (I have Amazon Prime and did the 2-day shipping with delivery on release date option), but it's still totally "not yet shipped" up. The nearest city to me is Boston, which isn't exactly crazy far away but is still at least two hours away on a good day, so not exactly in my backyard; it's not like there is a distribution center down the street from me. I just want them to ship the stupid thing!

Out of curiosity, where do you live? I'm in Western MA and am set for a Tuesday delivery, as well.

ETA: Mine now says "Shipping Soon." :)

Out of curiosity, where do you live? I'm in Western MA and am set for a Tuesday delivery, as well.

I live in southern Maine, so north rather than west, but a similar idea. Still says "Not yet shipped," which is starting to make me a bit antsy since it still claims it will be delivered on the 12th, but I think the nearest big Amazon distribution center is actually in Philly or something like that, so really not particularly close unless they're air-shipping for some reason or another?

I live in southern Maine, so north rather than west, but a similar idea. Still says "Not yet shipped," which is starting to make me a bit antsy since it still claims it will be delivered on the 12th, but I think the nearest big Amazon distribution center is actually in Philly or something like that, so really not particularly close unless they're air-shipping for some reason or another?

Ah, gotcha. Mine is now updated to "Shipping Soon" status. The closest distribution center to me is I believe in Albany, NY. (Actually Latham, but outside of Albany.)

They've always been true to their estimated shipping date for me, so I'm not too worried.

(And if that fails, I'll have the Kindle version to fight with my fiancee over anyway. :P)

Ah, gotcha. Mine is now updated to "Shipping Soon" status. The closest distribution center to me is I believe in Albany, NY. (Actually Latham, but outside of Albany.)

They've always been true to their estimated shipping date for me, so I'm not too worried.

(And if that fails, I'll have the Kindle version to fight with my fiancee over anyway. :P)

Ahaha, nice! Hopefully the "Shipping Soon" fairy will come into the Maine area orders soon. I too have never had problems with Amazon missing dates, so I should probably just chill out.

It will be so good to have this book in my hands, however....

Wow. That could have been exactly my post as I also live in Southern Maine and have been a little antsy as it always seems to take things longer to get here than expected.

Wow. That could have been exactly my post as I also live in Southern Maine and have been a little antsy as it always seems to take things longer to get here than expected.

Haha nice. Mine just went to Shipping Soon but now gives me an estimated delivery date of the 14th.

AAAAAAAAAAAH AMAZON. Do they ever change back to an original shipping date once it's actually shipped or not?

I've ordered lots of books and cds from amazon and even with regular shipping always get them on the release date. Often the day before, but it sounds like they've worked a deal with ups on this to prevent this. I bet most if not all of y'all get your books on Tuesday.

I am hoping to be awake enough tomorrow night to at least get through the prologue on my kindle before I go to bed. :)

Archived