Football: A Dream of Defenders

The Iceman of the North

It's amazing how fluid United look at the moment compared to some labored performances last season. They ruthlessly exploited a hollow shell of an Arsenal team today, but Arsenal's indiscipline in recent weeks has been as damaging as their injuries and transfers. It's pretty much all self-inflicted for them. Arshavin was very lucky not to be sent off today and Jenkinson did get sent off.

City are surprisingly attack-oriented, especially compared to last season. Dzeko is a completely different player in the last couple of games and has helped them a lot, but their midfield today did not have DeJong or Milner and instead had both Silva and Nasri (and Toure, who they deploy as an attacker) behind two strikers. Mancini was not that aggressive last season away from home against teams like Spurs.

On the other hand, Chelsea look solid but not great going forward, Spurs lack a goal threat and Arsenal could be in for a tough season. It's very early days, and Chelsea in particular might find their rhythm later, but the two Manchester teams might open up a gap in the next couple of months, and hopefully Liverpool will find their groove early to keep them in sight.

Iskaral

I'd say the two Manchester sides look like favorites right now, but Chelsea especially is making some significant signings and you can surely expect them to compete up until the very end. They have a strong team, especially if they can get Modric as well. One wonders though if Chelsea isn't simply better off by putting Torres out of his misery, and on the bench.

City does indeed look far more fearsome than last year, when they often played 3 defensive midfielders. Mind you, De Jong was injured now, with him back in the team City could be back to their more boring ways. Still, with players like Dzeko, Aguero, Nasri, Silva and Adam Johnson it is hard to be a bore, you have to actively try to be one.

Liverpool to me looks very strong as well, as I've said before. Just some really good quality signings, a decent manager, I expect them to make it tough for United as well. Suarez is a megatalent, he was already by far the best player in our Dutch league when he played for Ajax. Coupled to the summer signings, Liverpool looks in great health.

I thought nothing would cheer me up after that defeat against City, but then Arsenal was defeated so spectacularly it made my day :cool4:

What's worse? Losing 5-1 at HOME, or 8-2 at the Champion's Fortress?

Oh yeah, and Tottenham are bottom of the league.

arsenal is looking ridiculous, letting 2 of their 3 best players go without having their replacements lined up.

and it's not as if this was out of the blue since city was sniffing around for nasri for a month and barcelona had fabregas in their sights for years.

I spent yesterday afternoon in a pub in Reading watching us stuff Arsenal 8-2 then went back to the field to watch Elbow and Muse play some fantastic music.

Good day.

Arsenal were shit, but they'll be better. They were missing their two key midfielders and their best defender. But Wenger has to take all responsibility for that- playing a high line against us is always a bad idea, let alone when we're that good and they're that fragile.

This is my favourite United team to watch in my lifetime, thus far. Some of the passing on display has been outrageous this season. Ashley Young looks like he's been playing in the team for years.

The list of players that Arsenal should have signed is as long as Pinnocchio's nose.

I listened to 5 Live's 606 phone-in last night and a few Arsenal fans were of the opinion that Wenger should go. One caller said that Arsenal could get Carlo Ancelotti or even someone like David Moyes (who has successfully got the best out of young players) or Owen Coyle who he described as a "young, exciting manager". Another caller joked that Arsene Wenger (who is bad at buying and good at selling) could swap jobs with David Moyes and then Wenger's first deed as Everton manager could be to sell Phil Jagielka to Arsenal for £20M.

Wayne Rooney has said he wants to beat Bobby Charlton's goal-scoring record for United. His goals against Arsenal helped him break into United's top ten of all time. :stunned:

Moving ahead of Ruud van Nistelrooy, who I always held in the highest esteem as a United player. My second favourite striker...never had a hope of displacing Larsson.

"I was aware I was one off 150 before the game. I asked how many Bobby Charlton scored. Giggsy (Ryan Giggs) said I had another 100 to go. That is a target. Hopefully I will do it in the next few years."

Fair play to the lad.

liverpool won and played well so i'm happy. they could have easily finished the game 5-1, but missed some good chances. oh well. is the coates deal going to be official? he was at the game saturday so i hope so.

i was hoping for united to drop some points, but damn that game was entertaining to say the least. also, rooney looks pretty good with his new hair transplant. maybe it's giving him power like samson. i can't wait for liverpool to face united this season. should be a fantastic game.

rooney looks pretty good with his new hair transplant. maybe it's giving him power like samson.

His face isn't looking any better though. The hair thing did probably applies to Torres as well: ever since he cut his hair he's been crap so maybe as it grows longer he'll get better.

His face isn't looking any better though. The hair thing did probably applies to Torres as well: ever since he cut his hair he's been crap so maybe as it grows longer he'll get better.

lol yeah rooney won't be on the cover of GQ anytime soon. i had that same theory with torres when he played for liverpool. however, i believe he needs to dye it blonde again to unlock his true powers. those were the days when i used to see his blonde hair "swoosh" from side to side as he flew past defenders.

Alex, Benayoun and Andre Santos (Fenerbache) have all been linked with Arsenal. I know nothing about Santos but the other two would be good additions to Arsenal's "squad".

Santos looks done, as does Park Chu-Young.

I've heard a renewed bid for Cahill and possibly Gourcuff. And what happened to the M'Vila story?

But if they signed them, they'd have a very strong first team.

There seems to be some fairly strong murmurs around that they're trying to sign either Goetze or Gourcuff. Also that they're still after Hazard, but given that they've just robbed Park off them and already had Gervinho this summer, that would seem unlikely.

It's a shame the Scottish Sun isn't a reliable 'paper. Stories like this being true would delight me. Samaras to Sunderland, Maloney off to Wigan and a couple new faces in. :laugh:

You do realise that if there is any truth in the Samaras story, it's not funny at all. It's very very sad- it means Steve Bruce has gone mad...and I think I might have to get some sort of counselling. Imagine replacing Darren Bent, one of the most prolific strikers in England, with bloody Samaras. Ugh...

I can't believe that...

Archived