Son of Videogames Thread

Inigima

So I just completed DXHR...

And I went with Darrow's truth-message as my ending option, the way everything was phrased made it seem like I would offer humanity the truth and let people figure out for themselves what the hell to think, but it had a decided anti-technology slant to it that I didn't really care for.

The final boss-fight was much better than the other ones I thought. I did end up running around being pretty violent, but I didn't really have to do that (I just got impatient) so it felt as though there were options as to how you wanted to do the fight. The other ones were all about ramboing out, which I thought felt at odds with the rest of the game.

Not that you really needed any combat-oriented praxis point to do the bosses, but you had to be carrying weapons and ammo enough for it, which doesn't really fit a sneaky character.

It was like they tried to make a sneaky Deus Ex game and a Doom-like shooter all at once, which was a shame.

It was perhaps a bit short, over-all, since I explored like a maniac and completed every side-quest I could find and still managed to complete the game in 22 hours. I didn't bother with any of the "hardmode" challenges like a pacifist approach though, so I guess a playthrough like that would be much longer.

I just got Dungeons of Dredmor of steam and played it a bit. It's a "roguelike" game, a genre that I've never tried before. It seems like a fun way to kill time. I've been playing it with permadeath, which is apparently the right way to play a roguelike game.

It has steamplay so you can play it on a mac as well. It crashes when I tried to run it full screen however. The game has an achievement for crashing, though!

Achievement for crashing. Lol. Reminds me of Champions of Norrath for the PS2. That should never have cleared testing, it was so full of bugs it was unbelievable; including the one where it would crashed as you saved, thus corrupting your save. Which is a shame, but it wasn't a bad game. Nothing great, but a nice little hack n' slash.

I lost a whole darn summer of my life to Fallout 3. And then wondered why Oblivion wasn't nearly as good.

I wanted to like Oblivion so much, but I just didn't like the gameplay. It's designed to be played in FP mode. I don't like first person shooters, and I discovered in Oblivion that I detest first person sword fighting. Optional 3rd person mode is a good concept but not well executed in Oblivion. If people rave about 3rd person mode in Skyrim I could be tempted, but only to buy the GOTY version used, most likely.

I'm in a bit of a gaming hiatus at the moment. I can't yet buy anymore games that are in my list of games I want to play, but the games I have that I've yet to complete are not really jumping up and saying "play me". There's still a bit more of Sports Champions I want to get through. RUSE is OK, but a bit pedestrian. Perhaps i should get back to Final Fantasy IX, it is quite fun. And I should dust off Folklore.

I lost a whole darn summer of my life to Fallout 3. And then wondered why Oblivion wasn't nearly as good.

I have the exact opposite experience of this... I really liked Fallout Vegas, but Fallout 3 just didn't grab my attention. I did one walkthrough of the game, and was finished with it. Oblivion on the other hand, was phenomenal to me. I played that game for hours.

I can not wait until Skyram comes out next month

Hmmm. So rumours of Playstation 4 in 18 month's time. http://socialbarrel.com/%E2%80%9Cplaystation-4-in-18-months%E2%80%9D-report/19365/ . That puts it at about March 2013, 7 years after PS3 launched in Japan.

Allow PS3 to continue to sell for 3 years until PS4 install base is large enough. Sounds about right. Expect official anouncement around march next year, if true.

Serious Sam 3 trailer.

"No, taking cover behind walls is not a fun way of playing a videogame!"

"You can stand there all you want, Mr Elliott, but your health is not going to automatically regenerate. Stop being such a fucking pussy!"

Nice. Like the way they also took the mickey out of their own Headless Kamikaze monsters.

Bought and finished Deus Ex over the weekend. Overall I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I aug'ed my guy with hacker and good stealth skills, mainly using non lethal takedowns and the stun gun, backed up with silenced pistol if things got a bit hairy. No other weapons. The rescuing of Farida when going back to Hengsha for the 2nd time was an epic run across the map to draw fire away from the chopper, try take down the heavy mobs, gulp down more food then try again. I started carrying more weapons after that mission

Quite a lot of really cool RPGs came out this year, DA2, Witcher 2, Deus Ex and a few more to come over the next couple of months. Already bought Dead Island and preloaded, Rage looks pretty cool and its featured on Breaking Bad the last couple of episodes. Jessie seems to be playing it with a peripheral gun controller though.

That leaves Skyrim at the end of the year and ME3 at the start of the next. Thats an epic amount of RPG goodness for a lil over a year.

ETA: Nvidia issues once again with Deus Ex. Under DX11 the game kept freezing all the time. On my laptop with a lesser GFX card, ATI5870, no issues whatsoever.

Thats DA2 and Deus Ex DX11 issue with Nvida, not to mention random blue screens while laddering on SC2. Last fucking time I buy Nvidia.

Confession time:

I resorted to using a walkthrough to get about half of the puzzle pieces in Braid. I don't feel too bad, because even with a walkthrough it can be tricky time and sequence everything right, especially the levels where key's have minds of their own. I don't think there is any way I'd be able to do the speed run trophy.

Braid is a neat little platformer. But it's not as "deep" as some people make it out to be.

Having fun playing Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light as Raziel from Legacy of Kain. It's just a different skin, and raziel's voice. But I'm pining for another Legacy of Kain game so this wil have to do. A pity you can only play as Kain if you are playing Co-op.

Anyone got their eye on Warhammer 40K: Space Marines?

Confession time:

I resorted to using a walkthrough to get about half of the puzzle pieces in Braid. I don't feel too bad, because even with a walkthrough it can be tricky time and sequence everything right, especially the levels where key's have minds of their own. I don't think there is any way I'd be able to do the speed run trophy.

I did the exact same thing. I knew exactly what would happen if I didn't use a walkthrough: I would get frustrated, only play the game intermittently, and the game would perhaps never be finished. At the very least, it wouldn't be a cohesive experience since it would be take a long time. So, I gave every puzzle the old college try before resorting to gamefaqs. I think I solved something like half of them.

I thought it was a great game though. The ending, in particular, blew me away. I seem to remember seeing some quotes from the creator that made him sound pompous and annoying, but I'm still very interested in his next game.

So I just completed DXHR...

And I went with Darrow's truth-message as my ending option, the way everything was phrased made it seem like I would offer humanity the truth and let people figure out for themselves what the hell to think, but it had a decided anti-technology slant to it that I didn't really care for.

The final boss-fight was much better than the other ones I thought. I did end up running around being pretty violent, but I didn't really have to do that (I just got impatient) so it felt as though there were options as to how you wanted to do the fight. The other ones were all about ramboing out, which I thought felt at odds with the rest of the game.

Not that you really needed any combat-oriented praxis point to do the bosses, but you had to be carrying weapons and ammo enough for it, which doesn't really fit a sneaky character.

It was like they tried to make a sneaky Deus Ex game and a Doom-like shooter all at once, which was a shame.

It was perhaps a bit short, over-all, since I explored like a maniac and completed every side-quest I could find and still managed to complete the game in 22 hours. I didn't bother with any of the "hardmode" challenges like a pacifist approach though, so I guess a playthrough like that would be much longer.

Eh, I am having a tricky time with the bossfights since I am going the stealth/hacking/mostly non lethal violence route. Also doesn't help that my computer is ancient enough to end up in a museum. :P

Anyone got their eye on Warhammer 40K: Space Marines?

Seems to be getting a mixed reception (check out the comments for early reactions, there's also a few links to reviews).

Main complaints are that it's too short and repetitive, but for mindless violence with a tinge of tactically interesting combat it's reasonably entertaining. For some reason almost everyone is comparing it to Gears of War, with quite a few people saying it's better and a few others saying it's worse.

I was very interested in the game until I tried the demo and found it a little dull but I probably need to give it another chance. I'm hearing mixed things about and the single player campaign is supposed to be short. I'm waiting to hear more about the multiplayer experience to see if that might change my mind about buying it. I'm a warhammer fan so I will probably pick it up sooner or later when it goes on sale on steam.

I was very interested in the game until I tried the demo and found it a little dull but I probably need to give it another chance. I'm hearing mixed things about and the single player campaign is supposed to be short. I'm waiting to hear more about the multiplayer experience to see if that might change my mind about buying it. I'm a warhammer fan so I will probably pick it up sooner or later when it goes on sale on steam.

Gotta say, I had a lot of fun with the demo. For a 20minute demo, I played it a few more times than i probably should have...

Archived