Son of Videogames Thread

Inigima

As far as selecting the right weapon for a given situation, thats exactly what im talking about. One of the great joys of RPG's was always struggling to figure out what combination of items and weapons you have is needed in defeating a certain enemies or Boss.

You didn't need any of that in Mass Effect. If you chose the Assault Rifle, it was the right weapon for every situation :lol: . You had to force yourself to use other weapons, because there was nothing that other weapons could do that Assault Rifle also couldn't do relatively well. Not to mention the heat ammo system meant ammo management wasn't an issue. By limiting the type of weapons in ME2 per class, they force you to use your class abilities, which you could afford to ignore most of the time in ME1 if you wanted.

You didn't need some special gear combination for challenging enemies/bosses in ME1. The defensive and support abilities in the game was so powerful that I wouldn't be surprised if you could melee the whole thing. In ME2, they did went to the other extreme. I don't want crap load of gear like ME1 had, most of which were useless, but I wish they gave some sort of meaningful choice, i.e. this armor is better against geth attacks, while the other set offers additional protection against bionic abilities etc.

I loved having to switch between my different ammo in mass effect 1 to assure i had the right ammo for the specific enemy. And that function was necessary if you had the courage to do an Insanity play through

No, you really didn't need that for insanity. Unless you never used your defensive abilities.

Your choice of weapon and ammo matters more in ME2 than it did in ME1, due to the limited ammunition as well as the way different weapons/ammo/abilities behave against shields/armor/hp. You still have access to different ammo, more than in ME1 I believe. You just have to bring the right companions. Is that your issue? That Shepherd him/herself doesn't have all the ammo skills?

"if you had the courage to do an Insanity play through"

Oh man, how did I miss this the first time.

All insanity required was the patience to sit there and fire your shotgun at the same enemy for a minute solid as they lie crumpled in a heap in the corner with fucking immunity on.

All insanity required was the patience to sit there and fire your shotgun at the same enemy for a minute solid as they lie crumpled in a heap in the corner with fucking immunity on.

Alright what did you play it on, you obviously must have beat it on insanity to have this knowledge prove it. What system did you play it on PC or 360. If you did on the 360 step and post your Gamertag.

Hell my Pic on Live is the pic that you unlock from beating the game on Insanity, You need to learn to interpret whats in front of your eyes. i don't know how many times the same thing can go over your head, i love the series and Mass Effect 2 my own person rating is 9 out of 10. The things they changed to appease gamers like you though are the things that don;t appease gamers like me. They could have tweaked the things in a much better way than they did to both keep fans of the way things were happy while still trying to do things to bring people like you on board.

Before i continue to bother with this, i must ask are you an RPG fan or did you get Mass Effect cus it had a spaceman with a gun on the Cover. I just wanna know because this alone will answer all my questions and end this redundant conversation.

Me RPG fan since Final Fanstasy on Nintento, beat every one except 10 and 11 didn't have a PS2. Played and beat Chrono Trigger and it's crappy sequel Chrono Cross, Ive been on board with Bioware since the old Baldurs gate games. Knights of the Old republic is still one of my favourite games all time. i also have countless other RPG's and JRPG's under my belt. so thats why i need to know if your also a hardcore fan or just as i said someone who liked the cover of mass effect and all of sudden thinks he's a RPG fucking Guru.

PC and blew through it on Insanity with both an Adept and an Engineer. Both were only hard at the start. (the hardest fight in the game was killing those 2 assassins outside Chora's Den because I'm so low level I have no skills) All the higher levels do is give all the enemies immunity which means they just take longer to kill while you have them CCed. I turned it down for the last few playthroughs because it wasn't hard, just fucking annoying and long.

And again, we get back to what they changed to appeal to "gamers like me", whatever the fuck that means. What are these things? Cause the only thing I can figure out is "they took out the shitty inventory management for a less clunky system of equipment/power customization".

Haven't played either DA2 (or DA1 for that matter) nor do I give a shit what's going on at Bioware's forum. DA2 though seemed from everything I've heard to feel like a rush cash-in job. Although many people have also told me there's some good ideas buried in there that they hope will be carried forward into the next, (fingers-crossed) better game.

But that has nothing to do with what was being talked about: ME2 is a great roleplaying game. Some people shit on it though because, apparently, what defines an RPG isn't story or character progression or gameplay, it's excel.

What's being talked about here, partly, is Dragon Age II, that's how the subject of Bioware sucking got brought up. There is more to RPG elements than inventory management. The leveling system for ME2 was dumbed down too, though it was pretty dumb in Mass Effect to begin with. ME2 is a great action role playing hybrid game, but strictly role playing game? Where's the depth in leveling? In character interaction? The choices are cool.

So I guess I could give a shit about the ME2 vs. ME1 discussion that's raging around here. It's played out.

Chrono Cross really wasn't crappy. In fact, I'd say Chrono Cross was pretty awesome. It just wasn't Chrono Trigger or have that much to do with it. So not really a sequel.

That aside, it's one of the best games for the original Playstation.

you know what when put like that yaa you kinda right, it was better than alot of stuff that was out there. but after Chrono Trigger my expectations were through the roof. So i was disappointed that it wasn't as great as it's predecessor. God i still love Chrono Trigger lol.

What's being talked about here, partly, is Dragon Age II, that's how the subject of Bioware sucking got brought up. There is more to RPG elements than inventory management. The leveling system for ME2 was dumbed down too, though it was pretty dumb in Mass Effect to begin with. ME2 is a great action role playing hybrid game, but strictly role playing game? Where's the depth in leveling? In character interaction? The choices are cool.

So I guess I could give a shit about the ME2 vs. ME1 discussion that's raging around here. It's played out.

I agree with you 100% also i did agree with you about the Dragon age issue. DA2 should be avoided if possible, way over hyped.

What's dumbed down about the leveling system in ME2? You make meaningful choices about character progression. What more do you want?

I think the issue is confusing not having a bunch of stats to push around and the like with not having meaningful choices. ME2 strips it down to the important elements.

It gets back, imo, to this idea many have that it's the traditional trappings that make an RPG and not the core elements. For instance, you don't need an inventory system to make a choice with gearing out your character. That's the way it's often been done, but it's not the inventory system that makes it an RPG, it's the choice of how you customize and advance your character.

As for characfter interaction? Maybe. I could see that depending on what games you've played. There might RPGs with way more that I haven't touched.

you know what when put like that yaa you kinda right, it was better than alot of stuff that was out there. but after Chrono Trigger my expectations were through the roof. So i was disappointed that it wasn't as great as it's predecessor. God i still love Chrono Trigger lol.

Chrono Trigger is easily the greatest game of the SNES, it's port is the greatest game of the PS1, and I think it might very well be the greatest game of all time.

If you haven't yet, get a PS2 and give Persona 3 and Persona 4 a go. I get where you're coming from in terms of hating a lot of what's coming out these days, even if I don't always agree. But some really great stuff has been made in the last few years, it just takes a bit of digging to find in some cases.

Chrono Trigger is easily the greatest game of the SNES, it's port is the greatest game of the PS1, and I think it might very well be the greatest game of all time.

If you haven't yet, get a PS2 and give Persona 3 and Persona 4 a go. I get where you're coming from in terms of hating a lot of what's coming out these days, even if I don't always agree. But some really great stuff has been made in the last few years, it just takes a bit of digging to find in some cases.

No i haven't got a PS2 yet, i have been meaning too. I know there are abunch of really good RPG's i missed by not having that system. I occasionally play some of the great classics on the older systems through emulators. I actually did a quick Chrono run through about 3 months ago couldn't help myself. IGN actually named Chrono Trigger it's number 1 SNES game of all time.

Its not that i hate whats out there, there are still some great rpg's this generation, i just hate that studios are removing in part or in whole elements that were part of the larger RPG whole that made a game great, to be more appealing to a wider audience. I have never said once that a game couldn't still be great game with these elements removed or changed, but it must be done in way that still leaves the core experience at least similar to what we have come to love in the Genre. i mean I love Mass Effect 2 even with all that was said here tonight but i hate Final Fantasy XIII with all my heart and Soul cus that game they literally butchered that one.

Me2 went to far the other way, to the ridiculous point you couldn't loot weapons from the people you killed

Shryke covered most, but let me address this: you couldn't loot anything from people you killed in ME1, either. When you killed someone, you got a random assortment of junk that you could theoretically use, but really never did because you would buy everything you needed.

And when did taking the crappy weapons of the guys you'd just slaughtered ever become so important? The whole idea of killing enemies to take their stuff is pretty damn silly. Getting the occasional advanced piece of equipment for defeating some difficult foe, overcoming other difficulties etc. I'm totally cool with, but just collecting the random shit that mercenary #2495, whose brains you've just splattered across the room, carried is just stupid.

Chrono Cross really wasn't crappy. In fact, I'd say Chrono Cross was pretty awesome. It just wasn't Chrono Trigger or have that much to do with it. So not really a sequel.

That aside, it's one of the best games for the original Playstation.

I liked Chrono Cross better than Chrono Trigger. I loved all the characters, the music, and the exploration of it. I guess I'm in the minority on that one.

The best role playing experiences I've had on current gen have to be: Fallout New Vegas, Divinity 2, Two Worlds 2 (not amazing, but fun), and if I was gonna throw in a JRPG I guess I'd go with Star Ocean 4, though Lost Odyssey was fun. I wish games like Chrono Cross were still being made.

I liked Chrono Cross better than Chrono Trigger. I loved all the characters, the music, and the exploration of it. I guess I'm in the minority on that one.

The best role playing experiences I've had on current gen have to be: Fallout New Vegas, Divinity 2, Two Worlds 2 (not amazing, but fun), and if I was gonna throw in a JRPG I guess I'd go with Star Ocean 4, though Lost Odyssey was fun. I wish games like Chrono Cross were still being made.

Ya i can't agree with you on that one, you know what did piss me off about Chrono Cross that final battle having to win with colours and order the colours. Weird man just weird.

Ive been slacking on starting a new RPG, i got so many sitting here waiting to get played but i don't know where to start. In your opinion what should i play first Lost Odyssey or Star Ocean 4 i got them both.

Also i recommended it earlier in the thread but Blue Dragon for the 360 is a fun JRPG thats a throw back to how the old SNES games felt and played. Decent story colorful graphics weird characters. it's an ok game.

While you CAN just CC and pop n shoot i didnt play insane that way. I tried to be as fancy as possible, using a mix of sniping and run n gunning to get the job done. But i played as weapons heavy classes, not adapt or eng. I had TONS of fun on that difficulty setting.

I had TONS of fun on that difficulty setting.

How?! Even shooting an enemy with immunity with the Mako's main gun hardly does anything at all (but for extra 'fun' it sends them bouncing across the map so that you then have to spend extra time tracking them down) and since enemies hardly get any more dangerous compared to lower settings, insanity in ME1 was just an excercise in patience (something I am, admittedly, not overly blessed with).

Ya i can't agree with you on that one, you know what did piss me off about Chrono Cross that final battle having to win with colours and order the colours. Weird man just weird.

Ive been slacking on starting a new RPG, i got so many sitting here waiting to get played but i don't know where to start. In your opinion what should i play first Lost Odyssey or Star Ocean 4 i got them both.

Also i recommended it earlier in the thread but Blue Dragon for the 360 is a fun JRPG thats a throw back to how the old SNES games felt and played. Decent story colorful graphics weird characters. it's an ok game.

I tried Blue Dragon but couldn't get into it, though it's something I still intend to go back to. I believe those are the same dudes that made Lost Odyssey so that may answer your question about which game to try first.

I'm kind of torn on them myself. Lost Odyssey reminds me of Final Fantasy X era JRPGs. Kaim is an awesome main character, but there are some things with the game play that I found overly cumbersome. Battles can take forever some time, and each area has a level cap which makes grinding useless. I know a lot of people like that, but I kind of like grinding sometimes. It doesn't take long to reach level caps either making random battles all the more annoying. But overall this won't stop you from playing the game. I think the game's biggest weakness might be the dream sequences, which I've heard a lot of people praise through the roof. The dreams are a type of flashback presented in prose form. I've seen reviewers and gamers say the writing is truly amazing, "touching", and all that. After reading a few of the dreams I found them to be a bit melodramatic and kind of silly. Luckily you can skip them, but you are missing huge amounts of character development when you do. But the game is pretty fun, and the story itself though it meanders and gets tedious at times, is ultimately really good.

Star Ocean 4...well did you like Star Ocean 3? I think it's kind of an acquired taste. I loved Star Ocean 3, and 4 is not as good, but still fun.

So continuing on New Vegas. I've made Captain Kirk, or as close as I could get. Originally I was going for Evil Kirk but decided against it.

And it really is good. New Vegas feels so much more like a Fallout game in terms of writing and general options available. And so far hasn't been any more glitchy for me than Fallout 3. /crosses fingers

Archived