Season 2 + 3 Start Dates

ProducersBitch

A brief introduction about myself. I work for a producer who may or may not have upcoming projects at HBO and thus I may or may not be privy to "inside" information. That being said, I am a rabid ASOIAF fan and have torn through every book and have watched the GoT series possibly five times over.

According to the "HBO Competitive Calendar" (how shows are mapped out and scheduled against other shows across different networks, demographics etc.) the start date for GoT: Season 2 is April 8, 2012. The start date for GoT: Season 3 is March 3, 2013.

Cheers all. Glad to be part of a community who enjoys ASOIAF as much as I do!

• 1 month later...

the start date for GoT: Season 2 is April 8, 2012. The start date for GoT: Season 3 is March 3, 2013.

Huh. Interesting. Thanks. I find the S3 date a bit surprising though. Its very early to have a date (since it isn't even formally greenlit yet) but the actual date given is also very early in the year. In 2012, Luck precedes GoT but a full season of Luck (or any other normal sized HBO show) wouldn't fit before March 3rd, unless they plan to cut the season length substantially, which I can't see them doing. Luck is way too high profile.

One wild rumour I heard a while back is that HBO have already decided not to bring Boardwalk Empire back for a fourth season and some of their other shows could be moved up in the schedule as a result.

However, that was 1) baseless speculation at best and 2) would only affect GoT Season 4, not the next season.

One wild rumour I heard a while back is that HBO have already decided not to bring Boardwalk Empire back for a fourth season and some of their other shows could be moved up in the schedule as a result.

Wow. Are the ratings on BE that bad? But even if that happens, given all the shows that HBO seem to be associated with, they can easily fill any open slot in their schedule with new shows (I've heard of an Aaron Sorkin production, Neil Gaiman, Ewan MacGregor in something, Stephen King). I've wondered whether True Blood could be ending soon with all these speculated shows but that seems to be very strong still.

I thought it was already announced that season 2 started on April 17 or 18?

No. Don't think so. I think that date is simply based on last year's premiere. The earliest time is the beginning of April though, based on Luck's schedule.

A brief introduction about myself. I work for a producer who may or may not have upcoming projects at HBO and thus I may or may not be privy to "inside" information. That being said, I am a rabid ASOIAF fan and have torn through every book and have watched the GoT series possibly five times over.

According to the "HBO Competitive Calendar" (how shows are mapped out and scheduled against other shows across different networks, demographics etc.) the start date for GoT: Season 2 is April 8, 2012. The start date for GoT: Season 3 is March 3, 2013.

Cheers all. Glad to be part of a community who enjoys ASOIAF as much as I do!

Winter is coming... but not until spring.

So, season 2 starts in April 2012 and season 3 starts filming around May 2012? If that's correction then this forum will have a lot to talk about. Can't wait.

We'll see. Probably just talking about proper pre-production beginning in May. Given that S3 is unlikely to be greenlit until S2 begins in Apr, they wouldn't have the time to start filming in May.

However, that was 1) baseless speculation at best and 2) would only affect GoT Season 4, not the next season.

This is really interesting - once I started to feel like Boardwalk Empire was dragging earlier this season (I've fallen behind and have only seen the first three episodes) I was hoping this might happen!

My thought is that the Boardwalk Empire cancellation will make room for GoT to (1) move to the feature fall spot and (2) give us a 16-20 episode SoS season. HBO has done 2-part seasons before for Entourage (S3) and The Sopranos (S6), so my proposed calendar would be (given that Boardwalk Empire has already been renewed for S3 in fall 2012):

Spring 2012 - S2 (CoK)

Spring 2013 - S3, Part 1 (SoS)

Fall 2013 - S3, Part 2 (SoS)

This makes sense to me. Either that, or I'm just really hoping to get all my GoT six months sooner than expected starting next fall!

This is really interesting - once I started to feel like Boardwalk Empire was dragging earlier this season (I've fallen behind and have only seen the first three episodes) I was hoping this might happen!

My thought is that the Boardwalk Empire cancellation will make room for GoT to (1) move to the feature fall spot and (2) give us a 16-20 episode SoS season. HBO has done 2-part seasons before for Entourage (S3) and The Sopranos (S6), so my proposed calendar would be (given that Boardwalk Empire has already been renewed for S3 in fall 2012):

Spring 2012 - S2 (CoK)

Spring 2013 - S3, Part 1 (SoS)

Fall 2013 - S3, Part 2 (SoS)

This makes sense to me. Either that, or I'm just really hoping to get all my GoT six months sooner than expected starting next fall!

I was going to post something very similar to this, but you stole my thunder. I didn't know about the 'Entourage' 2-part season, but I knew about 'The Sopranos' and also 'Oz'. 'Oz' had six seasons: five were eight-episode seasons, but season four was sixteen episodes, aired in two eight-episode stretches, July 12, 2000 - Aug 30, 2000 & Jan 07, 2001 - Feb 25, 2001. That's about four months between the two half-seasons, which is something similar to what I could imagine them doing with GoT (though I'm hardly banking on it, it's just a really pleasant fantasy). The idea of no fourth season for 'Boardwalk Empire' certainly seems like it could fit with a season or half-season (however you want to define it) of GoT airing in the fall. This might also make sense for the OP's idea of the third season starting a month early, which would then in turn possibly fit with Charles Dance's suggestion (though probably just a muff on his part) of season three filming starting a month or two earlier. This would also mean that the greenlight for season 3 (and possibly 4) would need to come earlier, maybe at the time of the DVD/Blu-ray release, though it wouldn't necessarily have to be made public (rumors would abound). They could also hold off on official casting announcements (not that we seem to get them until months after the greenlight, anyway). Anyway, it's all just fancy I suppose, but I've gotten so far ahead of myself with recent rumors that I'm now going to be disappointed if the next renewal isn't for two seasons or a double-length season. :crying:

If Boardwalk Empire gets cancelled, it means their policy with good but expensive shows hasn't changed (Rome, Deadwood). It also means there's a big chance GoT won't make it past it's third season.

It doesn't mean that for GoT at all: the two shows have had different trajectories as far as their popularity has gone. BE has been declining in the ratings more or less since its premiere, while GoT grew through its first season and has been generating more buzz during the wait for season 2. HBO clearly knows it has a hit on its hands with the show; that obviously can change quickly, but I'm guessing it would more likely to be around the time of seasons five and six that people might start feeling the show has gotten stale. Right now it's hot as a buttered tart.

It is very speculative alright. That and the idea of 2 seasons of GoT in one year. But who knows I suppose...

There wouldn't be 2 seasons of GoT in one year, they're just talking about filming 3 and 4 consecutively.

There wouldn't be 2 seasons of GoT in one year, they're just talking about filming 3 and 4 consecutively.

I don't mean to be brusque, but what are you basing this on? It would seem to me to be a little strange to accelerate the filming so dramatically, if they chose to film two seasons consecutively, but then not accelerate the airing (all three series that we've talked about as comparisons, 'Entourage', 'Oz' and 'The Sopranos', show an accelerated airing schedule for their two-part seasons compared to the gaps between seasons). I mean, they're going to end up with one season in the can for a whole year, and the cast and crew on hiatus for a year and a half? I'm not saying that wouldn't happen, but I just don't see the advantage to doing it that way. I mean, I realize they would probably save money with the filming of two seasons together, so I can see that side of it. Maybe they would just keep filming a season a year after that, but keep each season in the can for a year before airing it?

'Entourage', 'Oz' and 'The Sopranos', show an accelerated airing schedule for their two-part seasons compared to the gaps between seasons).

Does Sopranos show an accelerated showing schedule? The first half of S6 seems to have debuted in Mar 06 and the second in Apr 07.

Archived