[Book Spoilers] Pre-airing Discussion

Ran

About the Boltons, I believethat Theon's role guarantees Ramsay's existence in the show. Although, there are -believable- ways to make Roose replacing his bastard son, I don't think they'll change the story that significantly. I'm confident that we'll have our psycho-bastard Bolton next year. About how he could be introduced? I guess It depends on where the Winterfel's storyline is going to end this season. Also, I'd like the show to continue have Roose not appear that often and at the same time reinforce the common non-reader belief that he's just a loyal lord to Robb, until the "right" moment comes.

The fact that Roose mentioned flaying to Robb during the 4th episode makes me believe he will replace Ramsey in the show. Robb will likely send Roose north to combat Theon and the "betrayal" for Roose will be made apparent when he meets and surprisingly attacks/slaughters Roderick and his men outside Winterfell. Later on, perhaps as early as next season, Roose will likely be the one seen flaying Theon's fingers. They may also call Theon Reek in the show at that point, but I don't believe it will be explained. To the non-book audience, it will just seem like a name given to Theon to demean him. Roose will also likely be the one to Mary fake Arya.

The fact that Roose mentioned flaying to Robb during the 4th episode makes me believe he will replace Ramsey in the show. Robb will likely send Roose north to combat Theon and the "betrayal" for Roose will be made apparent when he meets and surprisingly attacks/slaughters Roderick and his men outside Winterfell. Later on, perhaps as early as next season, Roose will likely be the one seen flaying Theon's fingers. They may also call Theon Reek in the show at that point, but I don't believe it will be explained. To the non-book audience, it will just seem like a name given to Theon to demean him. Roose will also likely be the one to Mary fake Arya.

Yep. Roose is going to do it all. It's ACoK redux.

I bet that the person that Arya meets is LF . It makes sense because he knows her and he needs to discuss the plans of alliance with the Tyrells with Tywin . BTW where the hell is Ser Allistair Thorne ? Did he get lost with his dead hand somewhere ? I think we are running in the first plot hole of the show here .

Except Theon takes Winterfell in Episode SIX - and the "Robb is betrayed" is from Episode EIGHT. Why would they wait 2 weeks to show Robb's reaction?

I think it's either the Karstarks or Catelyn releasing Jaime.

Agreed - I think it is Cat releasing Jamie.

Having just finished my re-read of A Clash of Kings, I'm disappointed with no Reek/Ramsay since he was mentioned a few times in the book before he made his appearance. But, it would be hard to add him in now unless it was mentioned in passing by Maester Luwin (i.e., "Roose Bolton's bastard Ramsay Snow was killed, but we captured his wretched manservant, a man named Reek...")

I would love it, but that really is going way beyond the scope of the novels so far.

Not way beyond; we know that Nymeria's pack is loose in the Riverlands, and that she eventually saves Arya when she escapes Harrenhall. Arya also encounters a wolf in the woods while she's off taking a piss in the middle of the night; as long as they don't linger on it, I don't think it's that big of a stretch if Arya should have a chance encounter with Nymeria.

That's lame .

Nothing we can do. But like I've said before, they are doing a very job of keeping in the spirit of the novels, even though they can't afford a cast of thousands.

Not way beyond; we know that Nymeria's pack is loose in the Riverlands, and that she eventually saves Arya when she escapes Harrenhall. Arya also encounters a wolf in the woods while she's off taking a piss in the middle of the night; as long as they don't linger on it, I don't think it's that big of a stretch if Arya should have a chance encounter with Nymeria.

I think these things are inferred, but unless GRRM writes it, I think it's beyond the scope of the books. It'd be like if the show showed us Sandor's face in the Quiet Isle.

I bet that the person that Arya meets is LF . It makes sense because he knows her and he needs to discuss the plans of alliance with the Tyrells with Tywin . BTW where the hell is Ser Allistair Thorne ? Did he get lost with his dead hand somewhere ? I think we are running in the first plot hole of the show here .

Good call. I forgot about that in the first season. But didn't they kind of dismiss the idea of wights north of the wall early this season, through the letter to Tyrion? Wasn't that the whole purpose of his mission to KL? Also, in the book, did Thorne go back when Janos Slynt was sent to the wall, or did they go back separately?

Agreed - I think it is Cat releasing Jamie.

Having just finished my re-read of A Clash of Kings, I'm disappointed with no Reek/Ramsay since he was mentioned a few times in the book before he made his appearance. But, it would be hard to add him in now unless it was mentioned in passing by Maester Luwin (i.e., "Roose Bolton's bastard Ramsay Snow was killed, but we captured his wretched manservant, a man named Reek...")

Theon takes Winterfell in six and Robb and Catelyn hear about it. Bran escapes and is hunted by Theon in seven. Catelyn releases Jaime in eight as a response. I agree - it's pretty much laid out in the episode descriptions. The only mystery is whether the show will try to trick the viewer into thinking they are actually dead until Episode 10.

Good call. I forgot about that in the first season. But didn't they kind of dismiss the idea of wights north of the wall early this season, through the letter to Tyrion? Wasn't that the whole purpose of his mission to KL? Also, in the book, did Thorne go back when Janos Slynt was sent to the wall, or did they go back separately?

Yes, but even so the show mentioned it and now we are 6 episodes in and we still haven't seen him . Even some non book readers have wondered about this and I don't know how are they going to explain his absence . Also Thorne and Slynt were sent separately .

Edit : I meant Lord Commander said to Jon last season that Ser Allistair was going to KL .

Alright, after rewatching the preview of the episode and doing some stills, here are some random thoughts:

I guess we see Jon faking to kill Ygritte (towards the end of it, I like it).

Otherwise, the rest is really obvious.

We have a shot of Stonesnake shooting an arrow (guess it is him, was it him or Dalbridge the archer in the book ?).

In Qarth: there seems to be some actions (totally new from the books): guardsmen lying dead in their blood (Xaro finding them), Khovaro running somewhere, and Dany too... all of this seems to take place in the garden of a villa (doesnt seem like Xaro's gardens but who knows)... maybe an attack from the Sorrowful men, but that seems weird...

Glad we are to see the Spice King again.

Robb saying something I cant fully understand : "I mean to take it there myself."... well, not sure if this is that, but seems he learned the news from Winterfell... my guess is that, at first, he wants to go back there himself, but probably Roose and Cat reason him and he'll send someone else (Roose).

Guess the episode will mainly focus on Jon, Daenerys and Robb... plus the riot and Winterfell.

I think Arya, Davos, Stannis and Mel wont really appear next episode!

I think Robb said "I'll take his head myself," referring to Theon when he learns of the sack of Winterfell.

I'm unsure if this was previously discussed in the episode 5 threads, but they seem to have skipped over Ghost finding the obsidian weapons. Any idea why?

I figure Sam will be the one two find them in the show, but that's not a change I would be fond of.

I'm unsure if this was previously discussed in the episode 5 threads, but they seem to have skipped over Ghost finding the obsidian weapons. Any idea why?

I figure Sam will be the one two find them in the show, but that's not a change I would be fond of.

It could be cut, since it still has little significance (all though most readers believe it will be significant).

I guess they can skip the whole obsidian storyline... and replace it by something more simple, like fire: maybe Sam will kill the Other with just a torch...

Sadly I believe it is extremely likely this will happen, based on the evidence I will list after.

1. Roose will go to Winterfell.

2. Roose will betray the Northmen from Winterfell who think they are teaming up to retake the stronghold.

3. Theon will allow Roose inside Winterfell after seeing him kill the other Northmen.

4. Roose burns Winterfell.

Watch the 2x06 promo, Robb says "I'll take his head myself." It quickly cuts to Catelyn, yet the face he is looking at when he says it is not her, it is Roose. It is a man with short, black/gray hair.

Roose probably suggets "I'll go north to take Winterfell and deal with Theon/Ironmen." Robb responds "I'll take his head myself." At this point Catelyn probably says something like "Your men need you here to lead them", and Roose concurs.

As for Harrenhal, Ser Amory Lorch most likely will take the place of Tywin whenever he leaves. We then learn more about Amory with scenes including Arya as cupbearer, she knows him from the man who killed Yoren.

I think either A) He will be killed by Jaqen, or B) He will be fed to a Bear by.... who knows? Roose is in winterfell -_- Most likely he will be killed by Jaqen if Polliver is not.

Archived