[Book Spoilers] Pre-airing Discussion

Ran

For all those suspecting that Roose will go north to re-take Winterfell, how? Yarra (Asha) holds Moat Cailin by now, doesn't she?

I thought Asha/Yara attacks Deepwood Motte further north, both in the book and according to the plans in the series. But I may be wrong.

I thought Asha/Yara attacks Deepwood Motte further north, both in the book and according to the plans in the series. But I may be wrong.

You are correct.

While all of us would like to see characters like Ramsey, the Reeds, etc in the TV series, adding too many characters for non-readers to try to follow would likely lead to disaster. Making Osha take the part of the Reeds and Roose take the part of Ramsey just makes more sense. Otherwise, a non-reader could miss one episode and then be completely lost as more and more characters are constantly introduced. Heck, some are probably lost right now due to them having to skip around so much in an attempt to try to get everyone in.

They barely have time to give the current characters proper screen time. Much less add in additional "fluff" characters. It does suck, but I do believe that it's necessary.

Season 3 is supposed to be just the first half of book 3 (I'd imagine it likely ends with the red wedding), so they should be able to give everyone proper screen time without having everything feel rushed and mashed together.

Reading this thread has made me sigh - I refuse to give up on Ramsay just yet. He needs to be in the show, having Roose play his part as well just won't work.

As for the Reeds, I love them, but I'm kind of okay with them not being in it yet. I think they should make an appearance at some point though, even if they meet up with Bran at the Wall or something. I like Maester Luwin, so I'm fine with him taking Rickon to Skagos, that change isn't too bad, and Osha is brilliant, I think she could hunt well enough for them, and she knows what's beyond the Wall. It's just convincing her to go back there that might be tricky - that needs to be made believable.

I'm a little annoyed at certain changes, but I do try not to nitpick. Very excited for this episode! I also hope they include the House of the Undying, even if it's not this week.

that means Balon is a poor strategist

well.... "We can finally be independent if we help the winning side with their war. Fuck it. We're going North!"

Actuality what happen to the stash of dragoglass weapons? Jon is about to go with Qhorin, will he find it before he leaves or will they give that part to Sam now to keep him more involved while Jon is away?

Why? Last season Catelyn went from Winterfell to King's Landing and then to the Eyre in three episodes. Why can't Roose reach Winterfell by episode 10 if Robb sends him ther in episode 6?

I was referring to the fact that it makes no sense to send Roose Bolton to march all the way back north to "save" Winterfell when they're somewhere in the Westerlands. It obviously could be done from a show-production way but why would Robb send away one of his senior commanders (and presumably at least some troops) and hope they show up at Winterfell with any kind of chance of retaking it? Why wouldn't he arrange such a force from the reserves/guards/etc. still up north which are actually in a position to get to Winterfell in a timely fashion?

Also, since we see it's Roose giving Robb the news about Winterfell, doesn't that imply Roose has someone up North feeding him information and probably in place to act as needed (i.e. Ramsay)?

I don't know, I just think that combining Ramsay and Roose would be a really strange and (imo) bad divergence from the books.

I think they will "kill" them this season and resurrect them the next one.

Yeah, there will be several cliffhangers between the seasons like Bran and Rickon dead, Tyrion getting hacked and passing out on the Blackwater. ANy others?

Yeah, there will be several cliffhangers between the seasons like Bran and Rickon dead, Tyrion getting hacked and passing out on the Blackwater. ANy others?

Davos.

Another cliffhanger - depending how it pans out - will be Jon Snow with the Wildlings. Do you think it will be with the death of the Halfhand?

I am really surprised with the talk I've heard about the place by people thinking RW will be at the end of this season (unless I am completely misreading them). At Comicon Weiss (I think) said ASoS was so large it will need to be split into 2 seasons, or at least 1 and a half, and that RW will be in there somewhere.

(Apologies if these comments are off topic).

Another cliffhanger - depending how it pans out - will be Jon Snow with the Wildlings. Do you think it will be with the death of the Halfhand?

I am really surprised with the talk I've heard about the place by people thinking RW will be at the end of this season (unless I am completely misreading them). At Comicon Weiss (I think) said ASoS was so large it will need to be split into 2 seasons, or at least 1 and a half, and that RW will be in there somewhere.

(Apologies if these comments are off topic).

ASOS is confirmed to be split over two seasons. GRRM said that the first season will roughly cover the first half of ASOS, most likely including the RW. GRRM will be writing S03E07, working title: Autumn Winds, most people consider this to the events in Queenscrown and before the RW.

Not that I'm not enjoying this season, it gets better every episode, but I've been slightly disappointed.

I am however hoping that Roose will mention his bastard son, who can help retake Winterfell. Season redeemed in one line.

Perhaps afterward, Cat and Robb talking will give chilly and creepy impressions of the infamous Bastard of Bolton, since we've gotten nothing about him from the story up north.

But with ASOS split into 2 seasons, there will be the trickey business of no Theon/no Ramsay for 2 whole seasons? I mean they could throw in 3 or 4 random flaying scenes per season, but not sure that will work.

Actuality what happen to the stash of dragoglass weapons? Jon is about to go with Qhorin, will he find it before he leaves or will they give that part to Sam now to keep him more involved while Jon is away?

Nice catch, cause if they follow the book, we wont see Sam, Grenn, Edd or Jeor again this seaon. I like the idea of some more story on the fist with Sam finding the obsidan weaponry.

I'm expecting a good riot scene and not some bare minimum like with some certain previous scenes.

+ looking forward to seeing House of the Undying

.5 is probably Half Hand saying that to Jon--you have to do this, so just make it quick and efficient.

Or it's probably Ygritte who's saying that to Jon.

#4 is probably Hound saving Sansa in the riot?

#9 is Joffrey? I remember yelling that in some of the trailers?

4. Do not mess with The Hound.

Thank gods! At last a Sandor scene! It might be either about how he'll cut through the crowd during the riot to save Sansa, or about how he'll be rude (almost psycho) with Sansa after she tells him something he doesn't like.

5. "Strike hard and true, Jon Snow, or I'll come back and haunt you."

Ygritte talking to Jon before he pretends to kill her?

7. "I'm no ordinary woman - my dreams come true!"

Cersei?

8. There's a brilliant moment involving Joffrey (Jack Gleeson) and some cow dung.

This, I know for sure, is from the riot scene. It's going to be thrown by a commoner; in the book, it's the reason why Joffrey sends the Hound in the crowd, which, of course, doesn't help the already tense situation.

9. "Kill them - kill them all!"

Probably Joffrey.

Archived