[Book Spoilers] Chekov's Chain

Damn it, I thought I was going to be the first person to post "Chekhov's chain" in these forums :(

But yeah, I think Shae will keep the chain, and will be wearing it when Tyrion finds her in Tywin's bed. If you introduce a chain in season 3, you'd better choke a bitch with it in season 4. As for sleeping with Tywin, she could perhaps do it to ensure her safety? Tywin wouldn't take too kindly to a whore that openly testifies about her clandestine affair with his son.

I have always had a major problem with Shae in Tywin's bed.

Even if he DID bed a known whore, there is NO WAY in Westeros that Tywin would follow Tyrion. No chance, no way, no how, not going to happen.

I really can't see any reason the would change this scene. The Hand's symbol in the show is just a badge, so they needed to add the chain somehow, and now they have.

The seeds of Shae being upset by the marriage have been planted, and I think the Tyrion/Tywin scene will go as the book allows.

I was so, so excited when they showed that chain. They have to use it to kill Shae. They zoomed in on it and everything and it just has to be important. I want him to kill Shae. Not because I want her dead or dislike her, but because it's very defining for Tyrion's future storyline.

This. I was very excited as well. I'm not really worried about it, because I think they'll keep the stoyline mostly intact. They've established Tyrion as a good guy of sorts, so to send him on the dark side is going to be a hoot, and they know people will stick with him anyway at this point.

Tyrion gets drunk, makes snarky comments, and bangs whores. If that's your definition of a "great guy," we should hang out :)

To me he's more of a "Doc Holliday/Jack Sparrow" character; extremely colorful, fatally flawed, and that's why everyone loves the character.

A much darker Jack Sparrow mind you, but yes. I love him too, both in the books and in the show. But more in the books.

With Dinklage they have a great actor who is able to show Tyrion in all his facets and I hope very much they will make use of this in order to show all the complexity of that fascinating literary character.The murder of Shae as lowest point in Tyrion's story so far and his inevitably following depression and bitterness have deeply shaped his future plot and should be shown. Martin will probalbly contrast this dark murder with emotional growth and a rise in competence and influence for the character Tyrion in future books. This murder was the moment of inner humiliation while Tyrion doing time as slave already marked his way back to himself.

All that could be shown wonderfully by Dinklage and I want to see it, I'd feel cheated if the showmakers kept so much of the actor's competences from me!

Ehm.... there is the serious chance, in the books, that Tywinn and Shae DIDN't share bed. There is the serious chance, in the books, that Varys plotted and executed the division and ruin of the Lannister family. That Tywinn was blocked in his batroom by the same venom they talk about for the whole book, and that Shae is somehow drugged.

not according to the text:

"M'lord?" a woman's voice called.

That might have hurt me once, when I still felt pain. The first step was the hardest. When he reached the bed Tyrion pulled the draperies aside and there she was, turning toward him with a sleepy smile on her lips. It died when she saw him.

she wouldn't have a sleepy smile on her face if it had all been staged and if either party weren't expecting to see the other. also the fact that she was wearing the chain that was now tywin's would be very difficult to stage.

i don't think tyrion will not kill shae. it's too big a part of his arc since it is that betrayal that kicks off the next phase for tyrion.

Even if he DID bed a known whore, there is NO WAY in Westeros that Tywin would follow Tyrion. No chance, no way, no how, not going to happen.

His own son's sloppy seconds. It's never made sense to me.

This, so much. Least believable twist in ASOIAF, possibly second to OMGADZ Aegon's alive!?!!

Tywin hanging Shae would be much more believable, even if it would damage Tyrion's character.

Two moments that renewed my faith in D&D:

The chain. There is no other reason at all for Tyrion to give Shae the chain and spend that much time talking about it if it wasn't going to be used by him to kill her. At least, I hope so. I don't want them to do the same thing they did with Cersei and Ros last season. That would be terrible.

The mention of Tyrion's first marriage. I don't believe it was mentioned again after 1x9, so hearing it in 3x5 pretty much confirms that it's not to be forgotten. Why bother mentioning it again after so long if nothing will come of it? Having Tyrion's emotions been displayed like that when he said it and Tywin's cold, slow answer assures me that they will at least keep that part of the story as it was in the book.

One reason that can be given for Tyrion's massive whitewashing could be that D&D want his murder of Shae, and to a lesser degree Tywin, to be all the more shocking to non-readers. Dinklage is a great actor, so I have complete faith in him he can pull off Tyrion's angry rampage and later depression perfectly. It's up to D&D whether they allow him to go this way with the character. There could be another Emmy for him if it's all handled well.

As horrible as some of this actions are, I NEED HIM TO START ACTING LIKE THE CRUEL, NASTY BITTER MAN THAT HE OFTEN IS.

YES, he does some ''nice'' things but Tyrion is NOT a nice or GOOD man. I need them to stop this white washing because I'm afraid I'll be disgusted with the show if they white wash him any further and he doesn't end up killing shae, and tywin kills shae and tyrion is the doomed hero who kills his father in revenge for his lost love.

They also won't have the scene where he rapes a sex slave in the novels, they didn't have bard soup did they? they didnt have antler men they didnt have the forced marriage of sansa on the wedding day, in stead NICE TYRION TELLS HER

NICE TYRION OBJECTS AND SAYS ITS NOT FAIR ON POOR SANSA

oh my god, what theyve done to this character PISSES. ME. OFF.

Isn't that why he kills him in the books anyway, over what Tywin did to his wife from his youth?

Isn't that why he kills him in the books anyway, over what Tywin did to his wife from his youth?

If I recall correctly, I think it's because Tywin called her a whore. Since the characters can't get the emotional tone for it from a never-before-seen-character such as Tyrion's wife, I think the show is going to get it from Shae's untimely death. And Tywin as the murderer.

Archived