[Book/Show Spoilers] What will Stannis do next season?

Ser Luke.

If he wasn't supposed to be on a redemption arc, he shouldn't have been a kinslayer that decided to burn a child alive in the books.

Please, the kinslaying stuff is dismissed soon enough in the books.Lords in Westeros have qualms with Stannis because they know his profound sense of justice and are fearful of the Red God, which makes considering they know nothing about it.Should have Stannis let Renly have a free pass just because he was his brother?He was also a traitor (and Renly himself knew this) with no problem in having Stannis killed.

If he wasn't supposed to be on a redemption arc, he shouldn't have been a kinslayer that decided to burn a child alive in the books.

If he's a kinslayer, what is Renly? And if Renly is also a kinslayer - or a kinslayer wannabe, more precisely - doesn't it frees Stannis from at least some guilt? I mean, kinslaying someone who wants to kinslay you isn't nearly as bad as kinslaying someone innocent (which show-Jaime did, by the way; just to prove how generally careful show-runners are with characters). And the funny thing is, Stannis himself doesn't try to hide from the fact that killing your own brother is a terrible burden. Quote from ACOK:

"Only Renly could vex me so with a piece of fruit. He brought his doom on himself with his treason, but I did love him, Davos. I know that now. I swear, I will go to my grave thinking of my brother's peach."

That's Stannis talking to Davos. Powerful line, as memorable as they come, and shows so much of Stannis. And it can never ever find it's way into TV show because: 1) TV Renly is different than book-Renly; 2) TV Stannis is different than book-Stannis; and 3) there was no peach, since show-runners didn't find it necessary to include it in a parley-scene they didn't find necessary to run more than a minute or two in a show they didn't find necessary to contain any other dimension of Stannis other than "he craves for power though he doesn't know what to do with it". If I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath for D&D's ability to create a redemption arc for anyone, let alone for Stannis.

And, in another news, D&D should’ve known better than to turn against Stannis: when they were butchering Cat, Robb, Jon, Sansa, Sandor, Littlefinger, and all other characters that got short-sticks in adaptation, only a fraction of fandom was complaining, while majority was willing to give them a pass; after they assassinated Stannis, however, they’re facing the wroth of legions. The Power of Stannis in practice. “The usurper, Dan Wise! The usurper David Benioff. The usurper, HBO.”

Seriously? People are still complaining that Stannis is evil for winning a fight that Renly started, turning his own plan back on him if you will? At least he only contemplated burning one child alive, unlike the hundreds that Tywins or Balons reavers presumably killed (i doubt they left children alive when they destroyed all those villages, but I could be wrong), or the hundreds that would have starved when Renly cut off Kings landings food supplies. Props to Robb for at least remaining honourable in that regard(that I recall), even though his politics sucked.

And yea, I suspect that D&D are going to continue making Stannis look worse and worse. GRRM said that the show could end differently to the book, he may have trolling, but no doubt we actually will see night king Stannis if that's the case.

Episode 1 - 2 : Gathering his army. Diplomatic moves with some Lords.

Episode 3 : Sailing away from Dragonstone : epic moment.

Episode 5 / 6 : Arrives at the Wall smashing down the Wildlings.

Episode 7 - 9 : Lord Commander election, meetings with Jon / Mance.

Episode 10 : Jon refusing his offer as he becomes Lord C

That's a pretty good outline, but I think Episode 5/6 is kinda early for the big battle at the Wall. But who knows.

What will Stannis do next season?

Grow a moustache, learn to twirl it.

Start wearing a Black Cape, maybe a Top Hat.

Start the Industrial Revolution, and create locomotives and a Northern Rail Network for the sole purpose of tying Val to the train tracks.

You know, the obvious stuff in Stannis's story that we clearly missed.

I dont think we're going to get a battle at the wall. I think we're going to get the Siege of the Wall. B0oth Snow and Stannis storlines dont have much left in them for Season 4. so I think what we get is a drawn out seige lasting for 3 episodes. with skirmishes leading up to a full on attack on the gate.

I think Stanniss arrival happens earlier like episode 6. and the election of Jon becomes part of episode 9.

Ialso think before Stannis leaves we could get some bannermen politics with some waiting to surrender and others wanting revenge on weak targets.

I'm excited to see Stannis heading North already. His arrival at the Wall is a huge event, so it'll probably happen towards the end of S4. During the journey, he and Melisandre could have some great conversations about the Lord of Light, prophecies (stone dragons, 3 mounts, krakens, Others) etc. That'll give Stannis some character development, and it might work out to have all these prophecies come from the same source.

I'm definitely not of the mindset that Stannis is being ruined as a character - they're just getting started with him. If anything, I think they're giving him too much life. I read his character an insanely driven man who is losing humanity, becoming a shell of sorts in a quest to occupy the Iron Throne. On top of it all, Stannis has a fanatical entitlement through his growing belief in the Lord of Light. I do hope they add that element, or something similar..

I was disappointed they didn't make it ambiguous over whether Stannis would hear Davos out. I didn't think much of Stannis in A Clash of Kings and most of A Storm of Swords. So when I realized it was Stannis of all people that came to the aid of the Night's Watch, I started to see him in a different light. I never expected him to show up and I bet 99.9% of readers did as well.

Agree 100%. When Jon is sent on a suicide mission to treat with Mance and the riders appear I had NO clue who they were. It was one of the coolest moments when you realize it was Stannis who came to the aid of the Watch. I wouldn't mind if he disappears until that very moment in S4, wherever it may be. I'd hate it if they spoil it by actually showing him depart Dragonstone with his army and/or sailing towards the Wall.

Also remember that the message said the Wall needs to be saved from the White Walkers. It doesn't even mention Mance or the Wildlings.

It's possible Stannis won't even make it there in time and Jon and the Night's Watch will defeat them.

What will Stannis do next season?

Grow a moustache, learn to twirl it.

Start wearing a Black Cape, maybe a Top Hat.

Start the Industrial Revolution, and create locomotives and a Northern Rail Network for the sole purpose of tying Val to the train tracks.

You know, the obvious stuff in Stannis's story that we clearly missed.

lmao you win the internet for today.

I too dont think Stannis is butchered as a character... remember the books guys, at this moment, not many of us were fascinated by him... I, for one, truly started to appreciate him from his interactions with Jon, his politics at the Wall, his badassery that appeared there...

I guess he will arrive at the Wall around episode 5.

As I said earlier, I could see him rallying his men at the beginning of the season, then, maybe one scene or two on the boats to the North with Davos and Mel.

Also remember that the message said the Wall needs to be saved from the White Walkers. It doesn't even mention Mance or the Wildlings.

It's possible Stannis won't even make it there in time and Jon and the Night's Watch will defeat them.

I don't know, one of the reasons the King and Lord Commander hit it off was because they were fighting the same battles together.

Their reluctant friendship doesn't have the same ring to it if Jon defeats the wildlings before Stannis gets there.

I have a feeling they will in fact cut the Kingsmoot entirely. It's all part of the 'negative population growth' D&D have been talking about. Balon gets whacked, then Euron comes and seizes the Seastone Chair (either off-screen or on-screen - I'm leaning more towards the former)

On the second thought, you are right, it sounds likely. Unfortunately.

So they're just going to have Stannis do nothing for like 8 episodes after clearly establishing he needs to leave soon, and also give Jon much less to do? No shot. Stannis will arrive during Mance's attack and save the watch and begin one of the better character arcs in the latter half of the books. Possibly even the best, when you think about it.

Archived