[Book/Show Spoilers] What will Stannis do next season?

Ser Luke.

So they're just going to have Stannis do nothing for like 8 episodes after clearly establishing he needs to leave soon, and also give Jon much less to do? No shot. Stannis will arrive during Mance's attack and save the watch and begin one of the better character arcs in the latter half of the books. Possibly even the best, when you think about it.

8 episodes? Where are you getting this from? Oh, right. Speculation. HAR!

Regardless of when he gets there, the motivation for Stannis to go to the Wall is completely different. The Battle for Castle Black will happen in the first half of the season, presumably. I'd say they're about 2/3 through SoS now, so they'll finish that up and roll into Feast for the last part of S4.

I don't know why they dragged Jon's escape into two episodes. He should have been shot in the leg during the escape and arrived (semi) healthy enough to talk about Mance's invasion to Aemon. Then Stannis could come save the Wall from the Wildlings. At this point, no one even knows Mance is coming except Jon.

8 episodes? Where are you getting this from? Oh, right. Speculation. HAR!

Regardless of when he gets there, the motivation for Stannis to go to the Wall is completely different. The Battle for Castle Black will happen in the first half of the season, presumably. I'd say they're about 2/3 through SoS now, so they'll finish that up and roll into Feast for the last part of S4.

I don't know why they dragged Jon's escape into two episodes. He should have been shot in the leg during the escape and arrived (semi) healthy enough to talk about Mance's invasion to Aemon. Then Stannis could come save the Wall from the Wildlings. At this point, no one even knows Mance is coming except Jon.

It's obviously speculation, but I don't see the point of cutting it out either. Lets say the battle is episode 5, and Stannis comes about episode 6...what would be the point besides to make it more boring?

Also Stannis' motivations are not completely different. Davos reminds him he must do his duty to the realm and help the NW if he has any hope to curry favor with anyone in Westeros, and Mel also tells him that is where his true enemy lies. Sure there's much more weight on Melissandre's vision, but in hindsight we get Stannis' admission that Davos reminded him of his duty, which can and probably will happen in the show. Remember that Stannis did call for Davos' death in the books and then later admits the man reminded him that it's not about rights, it's about duty.

So they're just going to have Stannis do nothing for like 8 episodes after clearly establishing he needs to leave soon, and also give Jon much less to do? No shot.

Not to mention, its what the Red God demanded.

This ts the first time Melisandre and Davos agreed on the same thing: Stannis is leaving to the Wall stat.

Episode 1 - 2 : Gathering his army. Diplomatic moves with some Lords.

Episode 3 : Sailing away from Dragonstone : epic moment.

Episode 5 / 6 : Arrives at the Wall smashing down the Wildlings.

Episode 7 - 9 : Lord Commander election, meetings with Jon / Mance.

Episode 10 : Jon refusing his offer as he becomes Lord C

I think this is possible. Stannis has to do something, would be cool to see how Stannis turn into a good guy. I mean he will ofer Jon Winterfell, and all the non-readers will love that.

Then we'd have had to listen to him complaining how he used to be a wilding before he took an arrow to the knee.

I agree though, I thought Jon would have been more urgently trying to warn them even in his delirious state and I definitely didn't expect them to just leave it there. I got the impression they hadn't decided on how they were tackling the NW next season as they were writing it so they weren't willing to conclude either way. As in, they didn't have Slynt/Thorne, hadn't decided which battles they would include or how spread out the plot would be in S4. They've left it very open really, they can easily slow the pace right down or cut chunks and speed it up.

I agree what they done to stannis is terrible, D&D dont see the real stannis when they read the books im guessing.

We should sent them lines like: "I stopped believing in gods the day I saw the Windproud break up across the bay. Any gods so monstrous as to drown my mother and father would never have my worship, I vowed. In King’s Landing, the High Septon would prattle at me of how all justice and goodness flowed from the Seven, but all I ever saw of either was made by men." @ STORM OF SWORDS! Instead hes a Blind R'Hllor believing fanatic and has to be told by mellisandre to go to the wall.

I'm not a huge Stannis fan but I hate how Stannis is portrayed on the show. When I think of Stannis I think Just, Righteous, and Zealous (Because of his burnings and forced conversions). TV show Stannis is a tyrannical dickhead who is controlled by Mel. The Justness and Righteousness is lacking in the show. That is what I like about Stannis.

And that last scene with Stannis was just terrible all around. Between him ordering Davos executed like he was Joffrey or how fast Mel just decides to abandon 1 war and switch to the other.

that is exactly how i saw it going down in the book. he IS about to have Davos beheaded when Davos pulls out the letter and starts to read. Book Stannis is controlled by Mel... Imprisoning Davos because she "knew" he didnt like her.) So what if the show decided to depict what happened. We already know that Stannis was about to kill Davos and continue his war on the South.... then he changed his mind after the letter was presented. I see no real deviation

Isnt he in the book? Everything he is doing is because of what she told him.. about himself, about who to kill...

The one time he left her behind, his entire fleet was destroyed along with most of his army. Mr man of honor DID in fact break his marriage vows with her. I'm sorry, im just unable to see how Book Stan and Show Stan are really that different. What is going to happen once Mel realizes Stannis ISNT AA? Will his new faith and dedication to the law trump the fact that he was convinced that he is the messiah?

that is exactly how i saw it going down in the book. he IS about to have Davos beheaded when Davos pulls out the letter and starts to read. Book Stannis is controlled by Mel... Imprisoning Davos because she "knew" he didnt like her.) So what if the show decided to depict what happened. We already know that Stannis was about to kill Davos and continue his war on the South.... then he changed his mind after the letter was presented. I see no real deviation

Yea.. except, not. You didn't read the books.

Isnt he in the book? Everything he is doing is because of what she told him.. about himself, about who to kill...

The one time he left her behind, his entire fleet was destroyed along with most of his army. Mr man of honor DID in fact break his marriage vows with her. I'm sorry, im just unable to see how Book Stan and Show Stan are really that different. What is going to happen once Mel realizes Stannis ISNT AA? Will his new faith and dedication to the law trump the fact that he was convinced that he is the messiah?

For example this dedication... it isn't there in the books. Everyone wants him to burn people while marching on Winterfellm but he doesn't. He may have adopted this faith as a tool, but he is not the religious zealot the show is showing.

Also, he is not Mel's bitch - he threatens her, he is extremely reluctant to see anything as proof of her power (3 kings had to die before he even considered burning Edric) and so on. While the show depicts him as her lapdog.

In the end the outcome is the same but in the books he makes decisions for himself, while the show puts every decision from his hands to Melisandre.

Archived