GOODKIND IV

Werthead

Normally when hungover I'd avoid Goodkinds work, but because Bran the Builder asked so nicely (and because I've started drinking again), here's the Terry Goodkind Quote of the Day!

At this point in the story Richard has escaped from the Mord Sith and bumps into a dragon (yup, a dragon) that works for Darken Rahl.

"What have we here?" came a decidedly female voice. "A tasty treat?"

Richard sprang to his feet and drew the sword, sending its ring into the air.

"I need your help."

"Only too glad to help you, little man. But not until after I eat you."

"I'm warning you, stay back! This sword has magic."

"Magic!" the dragon gasped in mock fright [at least it wasn't his thing]. It put a claw to its breast. "Oh, please, brave man, don't slay me with your magic sword!" It made a smoky rumble that Richard took for laughter. [and then Richard laughed. Then the chicken that was not a chicken laughed. Everybody laughed. ]

Richard kept the sword out, but felt suddenly foolish. [he finally realises] "You intend to eat me, then?"

"Well, I must admit, more for the amusement than the taste." [ can't disagree with that]

"I had heard red dragons were an independent sort, but that you are little more than a lapdog to Darken Rahl." A ball of flame boiled from the mouth, rising into the air. "I thought you might like to be free of your bonds, and be independent once more."

<blah blah blah>

"The entertainment is over. Time for my tasty treat."

"All right. I'm prepared to die." Richard had to think of a stall, to give himself time to think. Why would a red dragon be at the service of Darken Rahl? "But before you eat me, may I tell you something first?"

"Speak," the dragon snorted. "But make it short."

"I'm from Westland. I've never seen a dragon before. I always thought they would be fearsome creatures, and I must admit, you certainly are fearsome, but there is one thing I wasn't prepared for."

"And what would that be?"

"You are, without a doubt, the most stunningly beautiful creature I have ever seen."

It was the turth. Despite the deadly nature of it, it was strikingly beautiful. The neck of the dragon made itself ino an S shape as it pulled its head back, blinking in surprise. The eyes frowned a little, doubting.

"It's true," Richard said. "I'm to be eaten, I have no reason to lie. [ He's even more foolish than I thought You are beautiful. I never thought I would see anything as magnificent as you. Do you have a name?"

"Scarlet."

"Scarlet. What a lovely name. Are all red dragons as stunning as you, or are you special?

Scarlet put a claw to her breast. "That would not be for me to say." The head snaked its way toward him again. "I have never had a man I was about to eat tell me such a thing."

An idea began forming in Richard's mind [This must be the first time in the series. This is unprecedented ]. He put the sword back in its scabbard [Oh. The great complex idea was putting his sword back in the scabbard . "Scarlet, I know a creature as proud as you would not be at the beck of anyone, much less one as demanding as Darken Rahl, unless there was terrible need. You are too beautiful and noble a creature for that."

Scarlet's head floated closer. "Why would you say such things to me?"

"Because I believe in the truth. I think you do too." [ The truth of the dragon that is not a dragon, perhaps?

"What is your name?"

"Richard Cypher. I am the Seeker."

<and it goes on like that>

~Terry Goodkind, Wizard's First Rule

The more I do this, the more I think that Wizard's First Rule may be the stupidest book of the whole series, though thats a tough call to make.

Up to Goodkind's usual standards I see. I've added in a little commentary, because it seems ripe for it.

Normally when hungover I'd avoid Goodkinds work, but because Bran the Builder asked so nicely (and because I've started drinking again), here's the Terry Goodkind Quote of the Day!

aw, thanks!

definitely where Shrek got it from... very scary - it almost feels as if he's about to launch into S&M Dragon style! :sick:

My wife is strong christian and she liked "His Dark Materials" quite a bit. She did say the last book got a little weird.

yeah, the third book is a little odd - and frequently the one that causes offence. they are well worth a read as the writing is good and the story quite origional (considering they are written for the "Young Adult/teenager" audience). It is very clear that Mr Pullman has a low opinion of organised religion though.

Tatsächlich habe ich jetzt meine Zeit verschwendet um hier zu antworten, aber nur um dich zu ärgern antworte ich jetzt auf Deutsch, was eh' nicht verstehen wirst, Arschgesicht. Du bist ein armer kleiner Wurm, ein Spackmat, der im Leben nichts anderes hat als seinen kleinen Kreuzzug für Scheisse zwischen zwei Buchdeckeln und einen Autor dessen widerliche und selbstgefällige Selbstdarstellung abstossen ist. Vom großen Bild hast du noch nicht viel gesehen, mit der geistigen Flexibilität einer Brechstange haust du hier eine Idiotie nach der anderen raus, ich würde dir raten, einfach mal den Schaum vom Mund zu wischen und ein bisschen weniger rohes Fleisch zu essen.

:lol::rofl::lol: (just got the better half to translate for me)

Fan-bloody-tastic mate!

How does the whole talking dragons, talking wolves, magical sprites, and evil chickens fit into the idea of "I don't write fantasy" thing? How do they help illustrate the nobility of the human spirit?

ninja crustaceans are a degraded race in SoT. They follow Bushido -- and that is totally antithetical to the Code of Rand.

That, or maybe they're just crunchy in milk?

How does the whole talking dragons, talking wolves, magical sprites, and evil chickens fit into the idea of "I don't write fantasy" thing? How do they help illustrate the nobility of the human spirit?

Richard's discussion with the dragon in the most recent quote of the day illustrated this most important of themes quite effectively, I think. You see, while most mainstream "fantasy" authors would have Richard engage Scarlet in a violent, epic, and yet intellectually unstimulating battle, Terry instead had Richard recognize the dragon's inherent nobility. And how better to exemplify this theme both in Richard and Scarlet at once? The dragon is shown to be not truly a bitter, petty, and ravenous monster, but a noble beast that possesses more humanity than her former master. Richard is shown to have that greatest of qualities: the ability to bring out the nobility that lies within us all. In truth, the existence of these fantasy cliches in Goodkind's novels is meaningless. It is the interaction that matters: how Richard is often able to take the pawns of evil and shape them into forces for good.

It is the interaction that matters: how Richard is often able to take the pawns of evil and shape them into forces for good

Oh. Okay! Kinda like Lilo and Stitch do with the cousins in the TV series based on the movie...It makes more sense now!

Oh. Okay! Kinda like Lilo and Stitch do with the cousins in the TV series based on the movie...It makes more sense now!

I couldn't say; I've never watched it. But while the analogy may be true on the surface, I sincerely doubt that the show's writers handle the characters with the same depth and emotion that Goodkind does. In short, it's probably just another silly fantasy, not a story about realistic people moving through a perhaps less realistic world.

Archived