GOODKIND IV

Werthead

"He was rude, combative, and abusive with Scott Bakker especially, and took the opportunity to bash the living hell out of Phillip Pullman".

Well, as anyone with a brain would be abusive with Bakker, that man can't write. His story line is abysmal and characters are so devoid of any essence of character they leave the reader with a sense of emptiness. Like ...who the hell writes like this... and who the hell did he pay off or sleep with to get his poop printed?

:lmao:

Oh man, I'm speechless. You do realise that is exactly how the majority of this board looks at Goodkind, right?

Yeah, I've got to agree that at the least there are multuple "mystars" running around the internet. On one of the other forums he made an appearance(i think it was three-seas) in the process of berating the people bashing Goodkind he said

While I've not yet read anything Bakker has written, I doubt I shall. With people like you who are so lacking a life you have nothing better to do what to spout off your petty and trite "we can't stand Goodkind because....." and then attempting to drag other writers like Bakker into your delusion is well... just sad. I've read Bakkers comments... perhaps you missed the point where Bakker didn't join in the bashing fest, just made a comment with regard to it, the same with GRRM. From what I read both seem to be well spoken people, and seemingly above your petty childish school yard bullying. To wit, just because someone doesn't join in and add his/her own vitriol to the fray (and lets be honest here, it is not Goodkind's fan who are the acidic ones), doesn't mean that they agree, just that they are kind enough to not embarrass you by telling what gits you are.

This seems like the "real" mystar to me.

Yeah, I remember that (since it was a comment to me) - I don't know or care what is said or by whom, as I'm just going with the flow and having fun with my responses. So meta, all of this, no?

:lmao:

Oh man, I'm speechless. You do realise that is exactly how the majority of this board looks at Goodkind, right?

That's absolutely brilliant! We all know the conspiracy theory that Mystar is Goodkind. I think that's a little far fetched. But could Mystar be Goodkind's editor? That response :rofl:

Mystar - if you actually don't like Bakker's novels, fair enough. Go and debate them like a mature and intelligent individual in one of the Bakker threads. As for the complex names - I'm sure you have no problem then with pronouncing Russian names, or Chinese names, or African names, or Indian names, or German names, or generally, non-English names. The criticism of names being too difficult strikes me as simple xenophobia - but then Goodkind has rather ridiculous naming conventions - Richard, ok that's alright in a fantasy setting. But his surname - Cypher. Really subtle. And Darken Rahl? Goodkind's mastery of subtlety is entirely unique. And it comes alongside names like Kahlan, an empire called "D'hara", a wizard named Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander. There's no consistency here at all - at least with Bakker you get consistency in the naming, he just decides that in his world they didn't have the same evolution of names as happened in Britain. Alternatively, keep trolling, because it's providing a lot of entertainment for us.

This thread though is about Goodkind, so if we can keep roughly to topic?

and isn't Bakker a Doctor of Philosophy

Yes. Bakker has some intelligent ideas about philosophy and politics and he's willing to directly participate in debates with his readers. Goodkind, by contrast, has read Ayn Rand. And he refuses to acknowledge the validity of anyone but himself in criticising his work.

I suspect that this "mystar" is not the real one. Other than the valid reason that Errant Bard has given us I would like to point out two details that have given away this attempted impersonation:

1. Lack of terrible spelling mistakes in his post.

2. He does not suggest that we should get a life.

Well, as anyone with a brain would be abusive with Bakker, that man can't write. His story line is abysmal and characters are so devoid of any essence of character they leave the reader with a sense of emptiness. Like ...who the hell writes like this... and who the hell did he pay off or sleep with to get his poop printed?

[...]

Why is it that these hacks think they have to have a name that is virtually unpronounceable? It only detracts from the story. "Oh I can write I've got names in my books like "Cu'lajeb" and "Rajn a'pissoff" Is it just because he run's head first into a brick wall, almost knocking himself unconscious to be able to think up a name for his characters... There could be no other explanation, unless they guy is just retarded, which is a very likely possibility.

What's so hard about pronouncing the names? I never got that argument. Just because you have never seen an Umlaut or an accent circonflexe and don't know how to pronounce it, it doesn't mean that one can't pronounce these names... :rolleyes:

And as for the empty characters... :rolleyes:

Just found out that Robert Newcomb's first-time publishing deal was for a larger amount of money than Goodkind's, meaning he no longer holds the record in either the UK (beaten by Erikson) or the USA (beaten by Newcomb). The only distressing thing in this satisfying outcome is that Newcomb is possibly even a worse writer than Goodkind.

Well, again your seem to have gotten your facts wrong...as always... doesn't surprise me in the least.. her is some interisting facts you seem to have over looked...

Terry's deal for his first three books was for $275,000 for the world English rights And that is to the best of our knowledge a larger deal than for any other new author was for world rights in all languages and thus not nearly as good a deal as Terry's. When you add up all the foreign language deals that were eventually made for Terry's first three books, the total advances added up to over a million dollars. And of course even that high amount has long since been earned out and the books have earned far more than that in royalties over the past decade.

Newcomb's deal was total rights USA, UK etc. (That from his own agents press release), making Newcombs deal smaller by much comparision, including Erikson's. Even Newcomb has admited that much.

Hope that helps....

Well, again your seem to have gotten your facts wrong...as always... doesn't surprise me in the least.. her is some interisting facts you seem to have over looked...

hmm.

as far as deals go - who really cares? its the quality of writing/story that matters to most readers isn't it?

I suspect that this "mystar" is not the real one. Other than the valid reason that Errant Bard has given us I would like to point out two details that have given away this attempted impersonation:

1. Lack of terrible spelling mistakes in his post.

2. He does not suggest that we should get a life.

ahh well, Some times I do take the time to correct my spelling, and why should I suggest that which you've clearly shown your disdain and contempt for?, I'm not the one who can't seem to get it right. I leave that you poor lost souls.

Seriously.... :P we can all play this game forever. I'm not going to say it isn't a blast. I get a kick outta reading your crap and watching you stumble about as if you were in the dark.

You have an opinion of Goodkind’s works...cool. Though you are in the vast minority, its ok. I know how troubled and unhappy people need an outlet for the poor quality and frustration that is their lives. BY your posts it is clear how trite and small your lives are. Sure you can try and poke me with "look who trolls and your just as bad for lurking here and there", consider this, You don't see me mocking or berating anyone but a couple of sad little people, simply giving back a small portion of what they spew out. Which is nothing in comparison to the countless hours you devote to this...it really is funny, for in the grand scheme of things, is backfiring on you, and you don't even know it.

Goodkind fans do indeed find you amusing for your lack of ability to see and understand.

I'm done here. I've got a booksigning to finsh arranging, and well there is "Goodkind The Event", the following day I need to finsh finalizing things on. Last year we had hundereds of people from the US and all over the world fly in to meet and hang out with Goodkind. This year even more... toodles!

If we cared, we'd need some official source for the numbers, and what they represent, anyway.

Yes well, you cared when you thought it was otherwise... Only when proven wrong, like any school yard bully do you then state "who cares"...telling...telling deed!

You have an opinion of Goodkind’s works...cool. Though you are in the vast minority, its ok. I know how troubled and unhappy people need an outlet for the poor quality and frustration that is their lives. BY your posts it is clear how trite and small your lives are. Sure you can try and poke me with "look who trolls and your just as bad for lurking here and there", consider this, You don't see me mocking or berating anyone but a couple of sad little people, simply giving back a small portion of what they spew out. Which is nothing in comparison to the countless hours you devote to this...it really is funny, for in the grand scheme of things, is backfiring on you, and you don't even know it.

Glad you enjoy this thread too.

Goodkind fans do indeed find you amusing for your lack of ability to see and understand.

what all of them? ;)

I'm done here. I've got a booksigning to finsh arranging, and well there is "Goodkind The Event", the following day I need to finsh finalizing things on. Last year we had hundereds of people from the US and all over the world fly in to meet and hang out with Goodkind. This year even more... toodles!

Good, I sincerely hope that everything goes well for you at the signing and that TG and all the fans have a fantastic time - it really is a superb experience to meet up with an author who's work you enjoy. :)

Why is it that these hacks think they have to have a name that is virtually unpronounceable? It only detracts from the story. "Oh I can write I've got names in my books like "Cu'lajeb" and "Rajn a'pissoff" Is it just because he run's head first into a brick wall, almost knocking himself unconscious to be able to think up a name for his characters... There could be no other explanation, unless they guy is just retarded, which is a very likely possibility.

Despite his inability to state it in a decent fashion, I have to agree with Mystar's point here. Not that the names are hard to pronounce or nonsensical, but simply that they unfortuantely conjure the memories of the Forgotten Realms. Menzoberranzan, Daermon N'a'shezzbaernon, the like.

I've not yet read Bakker, but from the continuous praise ( and Mystar's rabid hatred ) I'll have to get one of his books.

Am I the only one who thought that the chicken-that's-not-a-chicken scene was a tragedy of wasted potential?

There is absolutely no need for you to look at me in that hurtful way.

Look, picture it. You've spent the day helping your husband with his wild goose... uhm, chicken chase and hearing about the chicken that's not a chicken. You come into this house, alone, and this thing is standing on a corpse. Now, there's absolutely no way this tiny little thing could have killed a man, but nevertheless, the man is dead and the thing is standing on top of it.

Every reasonable part of you is screaming "it's just a freaking chicken!", but meanwhile, every non-reasonable part of you is screaming "no, it's not, it just looks like one!", and you're just completely terrified and have no idea why, and that just makes it worse.

You decide to just walk out, but you're trembling all over, so you knock over a candle when you try to pick it up, and now you can hear the damn thing behind you, in the dark, between you and the door. And at this point you're so mind-numbingly, unreasonably terrified that you're not questioning that it killed that guy anymore, you know it did, and you have no idea how this little feathered thing did it but you don't want to know.

And then you slip, and now it's two inches in front of your face, and before you know it, you're whimpering and begging for mercy, you're lying there on the floor begging a chicken for mercy, and there's still a part of you in the back of your mind that's creaming that this is stupid, this can't be happening, this isn't how the world works...

You're still looking at me that way...

Look, Stephen King in his prime could have owned that scene. I'm just saying. He would have played up the sheer insanity of it, of a completely humdrum, everyday thing like a chicken suddenly being a thing of terror. It would have worked.

But of course, Goodkind is no Stephen King in his prime. Heck, he's not even Stephen King today. So instead of going for the gut feeling, he starts making Kahlan think about it logically - in fact, he has her calculating how she might sacrifice one of her eyes in order to wring the chicken's neck. So then the reader starts thinking about it practially, realises that it really is just a tiny piece of poultry, and instead of being so stupid that it's scary, the scene is just stupid.

Maybe the Bakker post was mystar doing an impersonation of a GioG poster doing an impersonation of mystar. So deep, so many levels, just like Terry's writing.

I finally fully understand the concept of a mystar that is not a mystar

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Comic genius. I thought that the previous chicken part was hilarious, but this just takes it to a whole new level. Did Goodkind take this seriously, or was it supposed to be comedy? I find it incredibly hard to believe that he's being serious here. It seems there's also a new "thing". Does the chicken have a "thing" like Richard's then? If the chicken's thing rises up then I can understand why Kahlan might be scared. The chicken also seems to be only make a single type of sound - it can cackle. But as an evil chicken, that's all it can do.

On Goodkind's editor:

Seems like Goodkind's editor was also "touched by Terry".

I recall something about Goodkind going into a rant because he had a different editor for one of the books, Faith of the Fallen IIRC, who insisted he actually changed some things and write a few extra scenes to better explain the plot. The second that editor was off the scene, Goodkind ripped out all the changes made to the book for the paperback edition. The problem of course isn't limited to Goodkind but any author who's sold more than a few hundred thousand copies, namely that if this author is making your company a ton of money then you don't want to annoy them so run off to another publisher with their next project which could make you millions. Them's the realities of the publishing industry. See also: Stephen King, JK Rowling, Robert Jordan, Raymond Feist etc. I think Martin's insistence that both his UK and US editors give his books a thorough going-over speaks volumes about his credability. Even Erikson (whose own appreciation of editors seems to have been rather cold at the start of his series) has since embraced the opportunities afforded by longer editing processes on his novels.

There could be no other explanation, unless they guy is just retarded, which is a very likely possibility.

Pot.

Kettle.

Black.

Terry's deal for his first three books was for $275,000 for the world English rights And that is to the best of our knowledge a larger deal than for any other new author was for world rights in all languages and thus not nearly as good a deal as Terry's. When you add up all the foreign language deals that were eventually made for Terry's first three books, the total advances added up to over a million dollars. And of course even that high amount has long since been earned out and the books have earned far more than that in royalties over the past decade.

Newcomb's deal was total rights USA, UK etc. (That from his own agents press release), making Newcombs deal smaller by much comparision, including Erikson's. Even Newcomb has admited that much.

Hope that helps....

Not really. $275K is substantially less than the $700K figure usually quoted for Goodkind's deal. So are you saying that the deal was for $700K in the USA and $250K for the rest of the world, or what?

Archived