Season 4 recent Castings: Craster Wives, Lord Blackmont, The Knight of The Gate...

HodorForKing

Looks like they're excited about the Lords Declarant. Do you think they'll cast someone to play Lyn Corbray?

the fact that the knight of the gate has been filming in maclarens episode's 4+5 suggests sansas gonna get to the vale pretty early this season, so I wouldn't be surprised if they got to the confrontation at the end of the series, Sansa's season end might be her starting to doubt LF after they hear news that the lords have declared

the fact that the knight of the gate has been filming in maclarens episode's 4+5 suggests sansas gonna get to the vale pretty early this season, so I wouldn't be surprised if they got to the confrontation at the end of the series, Sansa's season end might be her starting to doubt LF after they hear news that the lords have declared

I wonder if we'll see Lord Baelish's shitty home on the Fingers. That was one of my favorite LF moments from the books, it really humanized him and showed how far he has risen.

It's not the sex that's the problem, it's the gratuity of it. I'm hard pressed to think of any sex scene in the books that doesn't serve some purpose, either through plot or characterisation. Not so in the show, where it's often purely used for titillation.

I think most of the sex scenes do serve a purpose and move the plot along, for example Loras sleeping with Littlefinger's informant was a good way to show Littlefinger's resources and powers of manipulation. I won't speak for you, but I didn't find it titillating. And there is plenty of gratuitous sexual content in the books, I remember the scene where Jaime came across one of the Freys sleeping with a girl and GRRM couldn't help but mention how her breasts bobbed and she gave his cock a little squeeze on the way out. I rolled my eyes so far back in my head I could see my bald spot. I think people just tune out when the sexual content comes and miss the depth and ultimate purpose of the scene because it's more awkward for many to watch sexual content play out on the screen than read about in your head.

And the show has toned down a lot of the sexual content when it comes to rape, which is very prevalent in the books, but nearly absent in the show. Let's not forget that Westeros is a power-driven society and a male-dominated one at that. It's not like these guys have a playstation, sex is going to be a huge part of life in this world; and that should be reflected in the show, as it is in the books. One of the posters on this forum has a great quote from GRRM as a signature, which I'm always reminded of, because I don't see a fraction of the complaints about "gratuitous violence" from the people who are dismissing the sexual content as being gratuitous:

I do get occasional letters from readers who object to the sexual content in the books... but oddly enough, no one seems to object to the violence. It is a sad commentary on American society that there are people who will be outraged by a description of a penis entering a vagina, but not troubled at all by a description of an axe entering a head.

Dismiss the show runners as perverts all you like, but I betcha the author of the books is fine with it.

Question is : what the heck is Stannis gonna do until episode 9 ?

They could have him arrive at the Wall earlier but it would ruin the surprise effect of his charge which is too much of an epic moment to miss...

Maybe, as many said, they could develop something linked to AshaYara's storyline... having him capture her or cross paths with her...

It's a good question, one notes that Carice van Houten left one of the first messages about going to the production , long time ago now, so they must have filmed something early.

I would guess that Davos's, story, maybe?, of gathering Stannis's banner men (are there any left!) could take up a couple of episodes. They set out for the wall, could run into Asha/Yara. The sure left her with a sort of cliff hanger in E10, since that's not in the book.

I get the feeling that with Marshall having plenty of time , this time, the battle for the wall will be all of episode 9, there sure is plenty of wild and crazy stuff to elaborate on.

Have a felling Stannis's travel to the wall will only be lightly elaborated, Dillane and van Houten may have been doing some else for sometime now, since I am guessing the big episode 9 sequence will be pretty near the last thing they shoot.

(Tho were does that leave Kingsmoot? Season 5? With or without Asha/Yara?)

I wonder if we'll see Lord Baelish's shitty home on the Fingers. That was one of my favorite LF moments from the books, it really humanized him and showed how far he has risen.

I think most of the sex scenes do serve a purpose and move the plot along, for example Loras sleeping with Littlefinger's informant was a good way to show Littlefinger's resources and powers of manipulation. I won't speak for you, but I didn't find it titillating. And there is plenty of gratuitous sexual content in the books, I remember the scene where Jaime came across one of the Freys sleeping with a girl and GRRM couldn't help but mention how her breasts bobbed and she gave his cock a little squeeze on the way out. I rolled my eyes so far back in my head I could see my bald spot. I think people just tune out when the sexual content comes and miss the depth and ultimate purpose of the scene because it's more awkward for many to watch sexual content play out on the screen than read about in your head.

And the show has toned down a lot of the sexual content when it comes to rape, which is very prevalent in the books, but nearly absent in the show. Let's not forget that Westeros is a power-driven society and a male-dominated one at that. It's not like these guys have a playstation, sex is going to be a huge part of life in this world; and that should be reflected in the show, as it is in the books. One of the posters on this forum has a great quote from GRRM as a signature, which I'm always reminded of, because I don't see a fraction of the complaints about "gratuitous violence" from the people who are dismissing the sexual content as being gratuitous:

Dismiss the show runners as perverts all you like, but I betcha the author of the books is fine with it.

D+D have outright admitted that they're simply doing this to cater to perverts. There's no denying that.

I don't remember the scene you mention with the Frey, but in any case - consider this: How long was that scene? If it was just Jaime walking in on somebody I expect it was just a few lines. Not the equivalent of the 5 minute sex scenes we're getting that don't serve the plot at all. Keep in mind that sex is by default going to look more gratuitous on screen than it does on page and this should be taken into account. In the books a woman might have her breasts out, but it will be mentioned on one line and then the plot moves on. In the show, if you have a naked woman in a scene, she's there for the entire scene and it comes across as a lot more fanservicey. Anyway, I'm in a rush so I don't have time for full reply right now.

Anyone think that they might be trying to sneak in an actor for Coldhands with one of these male actors? They might have one of them playing the character, but don't want to reveal too much about the character at this point. Since he's playing an unnamed character, the Knight of the Gate character seems like the most likely candidate. And with their faces partially covered, they both look enough like Benjen, if that theory turns out to be true.

D+D have outright admitted that they're simply doing this to cater to perverts. There's no denying that.

I don't remember the scene you mention with the Frey, but in any case - consider this: How long was that scene? If it was just Jaime walking in on somebody I expect it was just a few lines. Not the equivalent of the 5 minute sex scenes we're getting that don't serve the plot at all. Keep in mind that sex is by default going to look more gratuitous on screen than it does on page and this should be taken into account. In the books a woman might have her breasts out, but it will be mentioned on one line and then the plot moves on. In the show, if you have a naked woman in a scene, she's there for the entire scene and it comes across as a lot more fanservicey. Anyway, I'm in a rush so I don't have time for full reply right now.

When did they admit this?

Also what about the multipage Asha-Qarl sex scene? That didn't seem to have any real purpose.

Apparently, Locke should go the the Wall, according to rumors, but it is not know if it will be as a Black Brother or something else... although, I can see D&D trying to create their own redemption arc character with him which could be interesting !

Apparently, Locke should go the the Wall, according to rumors, but it is not know if it will be as a Black Brother or something else... although, I can see D&D trying to create their own redemption arc character with him which could be interesting !

IMO either Locke or Thorne will take the role of Donal Nooye. Thorne is a lot les vile on the show imo, but I hope it is Locke. He's one of the only profound changes I liked, so I hope his "fuck the nobility" attitude will be rewarded with a heroic sacrifice instead of using him as a lousy Bowen Marsh stand in.

Do you have an explicit reference for that?

First nudity and adult situations are only 'perverse' in the eye of the beholder.

I don't like it when it's out of context, but I personally don't consider nudity and/or adult situations perversions.

I know of only one instance where a director was told that nudity was ok by one of the show runners, that was Neil Marshall in S2E9 the bar scene where either Benioff or Weiss , I don't know who, said it was ok for Bronn to disrobe the 'bar prostitute'. I frankly don't know why Marshall hesitated at that, I guess used to going through the MPAA?. A medieval tavern with nude women (or even nude hookers in a brothel, as on the show) if that's not in context then one is imposing modern puritanical concepts that don't apply.

I just want to say for the 100th time that this kind of thing is a hallmark of HBO, so Beioff and Weiss may have marching orders from HBO to include all the sex and nudity that George has in the books , at least as far as even HBO lets the envelope be pushed. I can promise you that some stuff George wrote will never be on the show.

On that score you go point the finger right at the creator of the source material.

(In fact GRRM sort of irritates me on the page with some of this stuff , not the content, but the narrative is long enough as prose as it is without more elaboration of the obvious.)

Archived