Planetos or GRRth or ...?

Lord Puff Fish

I don't like GRRTH. Mostly because I constantly keep trying to pronounce it Gee-ahr-ahr-s.

Gearth sounds nice, but it's kinda counterintuitive. So i just go with Planetos. Yes, it sounds cheesy and if it was an actual in-universe name I would be pissed, but when I need something to refer to martinworld as, Planetos is clear and easy to understand

Google says it all:

GRRTH: About 11,900 results (and most of them have to do with Star Wars)

GRRTH + asoiaf: About 442 results

Planetos + asoiaf: 7,880,000

All that says is that the awful Planetos has been around much longer than the alternative. Oh well.

The planet itself (assuming that the world of ASoIaF follows our own celestial rules) is not named.

As for the fan-given name for the world, the "best" term is the one that suits your particular audience. Your audience can be your own internal monologue, your fellow forumites here, friends who have never read the books, etc. - your personally preferred term isn't necessarily going to be the best term to use when discussing the concept.

The planet itself (assuming that the world of ASoIaF follows our own celestial rules) is not named.

As for the fan-given name for the world, the "best" term is the one that suits your particular audience. Your audience can be your own internal monologue, your fellow forumites here, friends who have never read the books, etc. - your personally preferred term isn't necessarily going to be the best term to use when discussing the concept.

Well said, but if we can't argue like a bunch of kids, what could we possibly while away the tedious wait with??

Google says it all:

GRRTH: About 11,900 results (and most of them have to do with Star Wars)

GRRTH + asoiaf: About 442 results

Planetos + asoiaf: 7,880,000

Owned!

Off topic, but "Planetos" gets 25,270,000,000 results because it's Lithuanian for "planet".

If you are going for symmetry, even if the name of the planet references the name of ours, it wouldn't be named Earth. It would be named Aardos, Erthos, Eorthos or whatever sounds nicer. And I accept the wide-spread usage of Planetos in fandom because it's pretty self-explanatory, but it's not going to be the official name. We don't call our planet "Planet".

If you are going for symmetry, even if the name of the planet references the name of ours, it wouldn't be named Earth. It would be named Aardos, Erthos, Eorthos or whatever sounds nicer. And I accept the wide-spread usage of Planetos in fandom because it's pretty self-explanatory, but it's not going to be the official name. We don't call our planet "Planet".

We've had some books and so far there's no "official" name. I guess it's very possible that there will never be an official name.

Maybe Apple will pay someone to say in the upcoming "world of ice and fire" book that the Maesters call the planet MacOS or whatever, but maybe we won't get an answer. Maybe people in Westeros just call it "world", why not? I'm no anthropologist, but I'm not quite sure every culture names the whole planet something specific.

Therefore Planetos already won because everybody already uses it. It already servers its purpose: people know what it means. Obviously Planetos would sound extremely stupid in-world, and if Martin comes up with something like the ideas you had (Aardos is kind of cool) it will take over. But we don't need a in-universe name, the story works just as fine without it.

We've had some books and so far there's no "official" name. I guess it's very possible that there will never be an official name.

Maybe Apple will pay someone to say in the upcoming "world of ice and fire" book that the Maesters call the planet MacOS or whatever, but maybe we won't get an answer. Maybe people in Westeros just call it "world", why not? I'm no anthropologist, but I'm not quite sure every culture names the whole planet something specific.

Therefore Planetos already won because everybody already uses it. It already servers its purpose: people know what it means. Obviously Planetos would sound extremely stupid in-world, and if Martin comes up with something like the ideas you had (Aardos is kind of cool) it will take over. But we don't need a in-universe name, the story works just as fine without it.

Oh, I agree completely, I was just talking hypothetically. I usually don't participate in the discussions about the cosmology of the ASOIAF universe because they bore me to tears, so I'm more than fine without official in-universe name or any extensive info about the planet - as far as I'm concerned, the story that is taking part in Westeros and partially in Essos is what's important, not if there are more continents, how big the planet is, what's their solar system like, etc.

Archived