Okay this is just a thread to talk about all good things lannister

if we could go in this order it would be great and then change as you see fit

Jamie

Tyrion

Cersei

Kevan

Tywin

Okay ill start

who doesnt love Jamie, did something bad, in a situation that required drastic moves and besides that hasnt done a bad thing!!

Tyrion is my favourite Lannister out of all them. Smartest and the least narcissistic one out of the three children.

I used to despise the Lannisters, but after I learned more of them over time I don't really, although I am quite mixed,and I do not like Cersei at all. She is 'I love to hate' type character.

I'm a Stark supporter through and through but Jaime and Tyrion are among my top 5 favourite characters. They're the only Lannisters I like and want to live throughout the story (but I don't think they will).

Most people don't like Jaime still because he pushed Bran out the window, but that's what this series is about, liking characters that are both white and black (grey).

Jaime has my sympathies as he evolves. GRRM has done a wonderful work with this character.

Tyrion is overrated (heresy detected!). Sometimes too whiny, and sometimes he handles the situation inappropriately. I loved him in AGoT, partly in ACoK, but he went down very much in ASoS on. Still, interesting what will come of him in the end.

Cersei... I can't wait for her to kick the bucket. What a stupid and arrogant bitch. Still, she's one of main movers of the plot, I give her that.

Kevan is just nothing special. Good solid guy. Serving Tywin faithfully along with Mountain, Lorch, and the likes speaks bad of him though.

Tywin is splendidly gilded rotten shit. His death is highly symbolic, and I love GRRM for it.

Joffrey is his mother with a floppy dick. Got what he deserved.

Tommen and Myrcella are good kids, nothing more to say yet. I'd like them to survive, but they might not.

A few secondary Lannisters are interesting. Lancel is going through an interesting arc, Daven is depicted colorfully in Jaime's chapters.

I'm a Stark supporter through and through but Jaime and Tyrion are among my top 5 favourite characters. They're the only Lannisters I like and want to live throughout the story (but I don't think they will).

Most people don't like Jaime still because he pushed Bran out the window, but that's what this series is about, liking characters that are both white and black (grey).

Some of these characters aren't grey though.

Take Cersei for instance.

I've kind of read the Lannisters as playing a unique role in the game of thrones. They are the unsentimental realists. Tywin was too practical for his own good. Tyrion was cynical about magic. They all blew off reports from the wall, Tyrion laughed at the decomposed hand that had been brought to get the IT's attention even though he ws the most likely to believe. The idea of dragons gets overlooked as impossible. They are not religious at all, merely put on a show. Their advantage has always been gold, wits and skill, not anything othrworldly. Well, until only recently in the books (Tyron's dragon quest and Cersei's undead champion...)

Some of these characters aren't grey though.

Take Cersei for instance.

I'm saying Jaime is a grey character because he's a changed man, a better man, but he still pushed Bran and he was having sex with his sister for years. He isn't a wholly white (good) character, he still has done bad things (black) but because he's not wholly white or black, he's grey.

And there are people who will defend Cersei, and call her grey.

Tywin is an egoistic asshole. Cersei ditto, and she is also paranoid and sadistic. I hate the two, well, Tywin is dead, so only Cersei is really left to hate and I hope she will die in a shameful and memorable way.

I like all other Lannsiters. Jaime is a narcissist and braggart, but he also cares about his family and is very loyal in a twisted sense. Tyrion is an extreme cynic and that makes him look egoistic and merciless, but he is really a very caring guy to his friends. Kevan did his duty towards his family and Lancel was just overly ambitious, and now he is overly repentant.

... love them all, above all because they're human: there is no magic mojo surrounding the Lannisters like there is the Starks and Targaeryens... They did it using just their charisma, ruthlessness, intelligence and sheer badassery...

I hope GRRM will make Cersei more "likable" in WoW. He did that with Theon and Jaime

Yes, absolutely

Even if there is some whitewashing in it I prefer HBO Cersei to book Cersei - so far. I loved how Cersei's relationship to her children was described, I like her more complex and not as cardboard evil.

I love Arya and Jon and I loved Cat. And yet I am not willing to root for Starks against Lannisters. It is the one individual character that fascinates me or not and not to which family he or she belongs. Tyrion, Jaime and Cersei are certainly among the most complex and interesting.

Actually I hope that those frontlines as in "one family against the other", the stereotype of fairy tales and heroic fantasy will be made obsolete by Martin's quality of writing. It is the the compexity of the individual character that counts, the characterisation via belonging to a certain group is a plot tool, a crutch to get the story started and Martin will for sure invert that conventional approach.

I hope GRRM will make Cersei more "likable" in WoW. He did that with Theon and Jaime

"Likable" = boring. Jaime is the same person he always was, just more self-aware.

Jaime is the only Lannister I can stand. Well, also Tommen, how could anyone not like Tommen. And Myrcella gets a pass, too.

Archived