Who named Jon Snow?

Kingdoms'Rights

Relatively new here and not sure if this has been discussed, but i see a couple people who could have named Jon Snow. If what we are told is true and Ned is the father, i think we can assume that he was named after Jon Arryn, right? If you believe R+L=J, then either R or L would have named him I imagine. Maybe Lyanna told Ned to call him Jon as a cover up, helping him hide the fact that its not really his child? Or perhaps Rhaegar wanted to name his son after his long time friend (which is done quite often) Jon Connington.

your thoughts? :dunno:

Any guesses on what Rhaegar would have named after discovering he was a boy?

Yeah. He was probably expecting a "Visenya", but seeing as he can't name him that, could he have named him after the closest male name to Visenya: Viserys?

Viserys was alive at that time, so won't that be terribly confusing? :P

Rhaegar ran away with/ kidnapped another highborn woman from a noble and powerful family while abandoning his wife and kids to fulfill a prophecy he believed in. I dont think "confusing" is the biggest issue in this...

GRRM says in an SSM that Ned named Jon, probably after Jon Arryn, who he looked up to.

Rhaegar probably called Jon Viserys, since he was naming his children after Aegon and his sisters. He had an Aegon and a Rhaenys so he needed a Visenya, so he named Jon the male equivalent, Viserys since Jon wasn't a girl.

GRRM says in an SSM that Ned named Jon, probably after Jon Arryn, who he looked up to.

Rhaegar probably called Jon Viserys, since he was naming his children after Aegon and his sisters. He had an Aegon and a Rhaenys so he needed a Visenya, so he named Jon the male equivalent, Viserys since Jon wasn't a girl.

But his brother was Viserys, why would he name his son after his brother. Two of the same namesake growing up the same age. It wouldn't have worked. Valerion or something I'd think, after one of their Dragons instead.

Archived