Winds of Winter Manuscript Length

Uxomi

I'd like to believe he's luring us into a false sense of abandonment as far as ASOIAF goes, what with his tight-lippedness regarding TWOW, that blog post title "Winter is Coming..." which was actually announcing the GAME OF THRONES screenings at his movie theater in Santa Fe, now this chapter from the next WildCards as a gift (which he didn't actually write, he's the editor)...

My current favorite summer-child pipe dream is that they haven't announced the premiere date for Season 4 yet because they want to announce it in conjunction with the release date of The Winds of Winter.

I'd like to believe he's luring us into a false sense of abandonment as far as ASOIAF goes, what with his tight-lippedness regarding TWOW, that blog post title "Winter is Coming..." which was actually announcing the GAME OF THRONES screenings at his movie theater in Santa Fe, now this chapter from the next WildCards as a gift (which he didn't actually write, he's the editor)...

My current favorite summer-child pipe dream is that they haven't announced the premiere date for Season 4 yet because they want to announce it in conjunction with the release date of The Winds of Winter.

Encouraging this sort of optimism is nothing short of cruel :P

Actually they announced the premiere date months ago: It's March 30th. That said, I agree with you that he seems to just want to drop it on people when it's ready, rather than having a long string of updates and promises. And I think that providing a sample from something other than TWOW is probably a good sign. If it were still a long way off, he might give out some more to keep the fans happy.

For the record, the publication date for ADWD was announced March 3rd, 2011; season one premiered April 17th.

Actually they announced the premiere date months ago: It's March 30th.

Umm, you sure? Haven't seen this confirmed anywhere at all. It would stand to reason if it was but I'm fairly certain there has been no official announcement as of yet.

No gift ASOIAF chapter this year. It's wildcards instead. What does this indicate?

Probably nothing other than that he doesn't want to spoil any more of the book. We know that at the very least he had an Aeron chapter he was willing to share with us.

Umm, you sure? Haven't seen this confirmed anywhere at all. It would stand to reason if it was but I'm fairly certain there has been no official announcement as of yet.

Actually you're right, it looks like HBO hasn't officially said that yet. Although it is kind of being treated as a given, since March 31st and April 1st were the premiere dates for the last two seasons.

Actually they announced the premiere date months ago: It's March 30th. That said, I agree with you that he seems to just want to drop it on people when it's ready, rather than having a long string of updates and promises. And I think that providing a sample from something other than TWOW is probably a good sign. If it were still a long way off, he might give out some more to keep the fans happy.

For the record, the publication date for ADWD was announced March 3rd, 2011; season one premiered April 17th.

Really, season four begins March 30th? This is the first I have heard about that. Too bad it's still two and a half months away though.

I agree with your sample statement. That it isn't from WoW, from which the last sample was a year ago, could mean something. However, we've recently gotten a Barristan chapter in the paperback from aDwD. If he'd release anything online, I guess it would be that one, and January might still be viewed as too close to the paperback. Perhaps the Barristan chapter will appear online in a few months.

So aDwD was announced at March 3rd, and was in stores in July? That's 4,5 months, somewhat. I guess we can count on the same time between an aWoW announcement and its publication.

There can be no true despair without hope. So, as I terrorize readers, I will feed its people hope to poison their souls.

Makes sense, yes, but not official. The closest we've gotten is GRRM saying on his blog that it'll be "oh, late March or early April, I'd say".

That's exactly it. The premiere date for season 3 was announced officially a matter of weeks after season 2 ended.

Few if any? So we might not get any updates at all? Oh, the cruelty... :(

But just imagine this: One day, you wake up in the morning, get yourself a cup of coffee and get ready to go to work. You've got a little while before you have to leave, so you figure you'll fire up the laptop and browse the internet, when all of a sudden… BAM! You find out, out of nowhere, that GRRM has just announced he is finished with TWoW and it will be out in 2 months.

How sweet is that going to be?

I'm optimistic, 2014 will be a good year. And hey, if he doesn't release it this year, at least we still get the World book to hold us over.

But just imagine this: One day, you wake up in the morning, get yourself a cup of coffee and get ready to go to work. You've got a little while before you have to leave, so you figure you'll fire up the laptop and browse the internet, when all of a sudden… BAM! You find out, out of nowhere, that GRRM has just announced he is finished with TWoW and it will be out in 2 months.

How sweet is that going to be?

I'm optimistic, 2014 will be a good year. And hey, if he doesn't release it this year, at least we still get the World book to hold us over.

if we're lucky we get the world book you mean

it still doesn't have an official release date, so it could very easily be pushed back yet again. I mean just look how many time the paper back for ADwD was pushed back

if we're lucky we get the world book you mean

it still doesn't have an official release date, so it could very easily be pushed back yet again. I mean just look how many time the paper back for ADwD was pushed back

Amazon has begun accepting preorders for TWoIaF, with a release date of October 28th. It's worth noting that the publishing length is only 288 pages, with much of it likely to be artwork.

Girls is 12 episodes this year so that might push GoT back to April 6th. It is kind of weird that they haven't announced an official release date yet though. I don't think that means TWOW is coming out this year, that would quite the assumption, but I wonder why a release date hasn't been announced. Maybe they want the first teaser to act as a premiere date announcement?

I'm pretty sure GRRM has more of TWOW written than we think/know. The last real update we got was last March or April when GRRM said he was a quarter through the book. That would be about 400 pages written in the six months since October 2012. He's got nothing scheduled between now and May 30th. April 2013 to May 2014 is more than a year for plenty of progress to be made.

I'd say there's a 0% chance the book comes out in the next few months/in connection with the show. If it comes out this year it'll be in November or December. And as others including myself have said, he'd have to complete the novel before July, when he heads to Switzerland (and the UK in August). He would have to write faster than he's ever written before to pull that off, and while it's "possible" - remember he doesn't have any events planned between now and late May - I just don't think it'll happen.

I'd bet on it coming out in summer 2015, after the end of the fifth season

Archived