College Basketball: Whose All-American Team is Worse?

Matrim Fox Cauthon

Oh, shut the fuck up you nest of vipers and den of hypocrites and let us celebrate. We had a shitty first half of the season, and we persist being unraked "because reasons" while Duke was ranked #5.

I laughed. Wait, was I not supposed to?

And lastly, I will also reiterate my general disdain for court storming due to the fact that in my crotchety old age I realize that it is an inherently dangerous event. Do we really need to imagine what would happen if we combined the big stories of court storming and Marcus Smart's meltdown at TTU? Its only a matter of time, and when that happens woe be upon us all. Stay in your seats fans... its where you belong.

Exactly.

The last time people tried to storm the court at AFH, they were shamed back into the stands by resounding boos. That was more than a decade ago - 2003.

Regardless of whether I like it or not, court storming seems to becoming a more "acceptable" (i.e. common) practice in college basketball.

By whom? Certainly not your school's coach. And not with Arizona, who looks to want the PAC12 to create new rules against it. And definitely not with the SEC. I would love to see some numbers on how many courts are stormed by year, but I don't feel like it's on the rise.

It's baffling, but it's what UNC has dealt with since continuing to be unranked win after win, week after week.

I didn't know ranking were so important. It's not football, and the selection committee usually does a fine job seeding teams appropriately. The most comprehensive ranking system has you at 27. ESPN's super perfect ranking system (according to themselves) has you at 32. I thought it was quite funny when Duke jumped over us, but who really gives a shit?

I think the Cards will end up with more than 3 wins over 100+ RPI before the tourney starts, though.

That's just another reason why "bracketology" is a joke, but websites love getting page views so they've all started doing it. They also love trying to create more views by putting up potential match ups like KU-UNC.

There is a pretty great list of games tomorrow. This is the time of year once football dies down that I get more properly into college hoops, and check out the slate:

Football just died down?

I laughed. Wait, was I not supposed to?

It's not my place to tell you when you can or cannot laugh, but now you seem to be trolling, especially given that everyone else has moved beyond this conversation.

By whom? Certainly not your school's coach. And not with Arizona, who looks to want the PAC12 to create new rules against it. And definitely not with the SEC. I would love to see some numbers on how many courts are stormed by year, but I don't feel like it's on the rise.

By the fans who actually seem to be rushing at a more regular frequency.

I didn't know ranking were so important. It's not football, and the selection committee usually does a fine job seeding teams appropriately. The most comprehensive ranking system has you at 27. ESPN's super perfect ranking system (according to themselves) has you at 32. I thought it was quite funny when Duke jumped over us, but who really gives a shit?

It matters when it comes to the perception of a team's strength when it comes to seeding.

It matters when it comes to the perception of a team's strength when it comes to seeding.

You know, I suspect UNC fans will feel the same way I have seen many UK fans reacting lately. Seeding really won't matter this year because the team has the talent to beat anyone... its just a question of if they want to that day or not. (And if they want to for a full 40 minutes.) Throw on top of that the fact that there really isn't much difference between the top of the polls and number 20 in the polls and I think seeding is less important this year than most.

ETA: As a UK fan, my worst nightmare would be meeting up with a small school who features a speedy point guard who can get out and push the ball in transition. That has been our biggest weakness this year.

It's not my place to tell you when you can or cannot laugh, but now you seem to be trolling, especially given that everyone else has moved beyond this conversation.

Responding within 24 hours is now trolling? That is funny. Maybe some people have to actually work during the work day. I'm sure my patients would have loved it if I would have made them wait so that I could respond to some posts on a message board before it moved on without me. Rhom, what do you think? Does this board come before your patients?

By the fans who actually seem to be rushing at a more regular frequency.

Proof?

No it doesn't. Do you seriously think the committee cares at all where a team is ranked in the AP? Have you ever looked at a bracket before?

Oh, and this will likely be my only post during daylight hours today, the Troll Express is riding non-stop for the next ten hours :rolleyes:

Huge win for Wisconsin at Iowa. After the best start in school history they had lost 5 of 6. In the past 2 weeks the Badgers have once again strung together an impressive set of wins.

Beating the Hawkeyes on their home floor cements WI as one of the top teams in the country and gets them back in contention for the Big 10.

Whew, another tough one. The shift in intensity on defending Henderson from the first half (22 pts) to the second (0 pts) was fun to watch, and once again we just seemed to hit a point late in the game where we decided we aren't going to lose and there's nothing you can do about it. Such an improvement from last year where we seemed to blow close games late, now we just make it impossible for you to beat us because we simply are not going to turn the ball over, we're going to get good shots on offense and play lock-down defense, and then when you foul us we're going to make the free throws.

Go Gators!

Responding within 24 hours is now trolling? That is funny. Maybe some people have to actually work during the work day. I'm sure my patients would have loved it if I would have made them wait so that I could respond to some posts on a message board before it moved on without me. Rhom, what do you think? Does this board come before your patients?

So what if it is within 24 hours? So what if you had patients? The rest of the thread moved on and was largely talking about other things. But when the rest of the thread moved on, you wanted to spread the flames. That's the issue.

Proof?

Proof is for math. But I honestly find it hard to believe that you somehow expect me to gather the evidence for this, especially when it seems that this thread, in general, has complained more frequently about people rushing the court.

No it doesn't. Do you seriously think the committee cares at all where a team is ranked in the AP? Have you ever looked at a bracket before?

I have seen a bracket, and I do think that the committee does take the AP poll into some consideration at least for the better seeding spots, though they do tend to move some around to make for "better" games. Do you honestly believe that the committee lives in a bubble in which they are not aware of a teams AP ranking?

OK, I only saw the replay, but what I saw looked like a difficult block/charge foul, and nothing like what Boeheim's reaction was. He reacted as if it was a horrifically missed call. That's not what I saw.

ETA: I mean, maybe Boeheim would argue that it was a close call so you don't make a call at all to decide a game like that or something, but that wouldn't be too strong of an argument.

It was a close call. I think it was a bad call. But Duke was shooting like .45 from the line in the game. They were in no way shape or form out of the game until Boeheim blew a gasket and got them 4 free points.

It was a close call. I think it was a bad call. But Duke was shooting like .45 from the line in the game. They were in no way shape or form out of the game until Boeheim blew a gasket and got them 4 free points.

His body was moving up, but it looks like his feet are in position. That's the key to it. Either way, Boeheim's reaction took the game out of his players hands. If anything was learned from the last time they met, every second counts. He took away the option for a steal, turnover, dumb Duke play.

Grumble grumble Duke charging grumble grumble Boeheim Harbaughing on the refs grumble grumble.

maybe this helps...look at the charge as a makeup call for them missing Fair stepping out of bounds on the sideline.

So what if it is within 24 hours? So what if you had patients? The rest of the thread moved on and was largely talking about other things. But when the rest of the thread moved on, you wanted to spread the flames. That's the issue.

Proof is for math. But I honestly find it hard to believe that you somehow expect me to gather the evidence for this, especially when it seems that this thread, in general, has complained more frequently about people rushing the court.

I have seen a bracket, and I do think that the committee does take the AP poll into some consideration at least for the better seeding spots, though they do tend to move some around to make for "better" games. Do you honestly believe that the committee lives in a bubble in which they are not aware of a teams AP ranking?

This is a message board, not a chat room. I don't care if others have moved on, I'll post when I'm able.

When you're making wild assertions proof is required. Anecdotally, they're not showing more clips of court storming on ESPN now than when I was in college 10+ years ago.

Of course the committee is aware of a team's AP ranking, but that is just one very small part of what they use in creating the bracket. There are so many objective measurements of team rankings, that this one subjective composite ranking just doesn't hold the same weight that it did in the past.

This can only be settled by UNC playing KU in the tournament.

I would love for that to happen. Four straight would be fantastic.

Looks like KU and Wiggins came to play tonight. Owning Texas right now.

That was our best defensive performance all season, and what I have come to expect from a Bill Self team. Hopefully the team will now buy into the fact that great defense creates great offense, and they will not end the season as Coach Self's worse defensive team at KU.

Wiggins has been playing so well lately. He had one of the most impressive alley-oops I've ever seen. He got up there! Tarik Black had a pretty nice dunk too, but our starters' reactions on the bench took it to another level.

maybe this helps...look at the charge as a makeup call for them missing Fair stepping out of bounds on the sideline.

It looked like he had his foot up off of the sideline by the time he caught the ball. After watching it several time in slow mo right now I think it should have been a no-call. I don't know why the refs always have to make a call in that situation.

Archived