Role in WoW: Sansa Stark (Spoilers)

Ours if the Fury

There are some points that you guys are forgetting. First President Jackson isn't the only person in history that could have been pointed to. Henry the 8 married Anne Boyln while still married to Katherine his first wife. He had made the "appearance of trying to rid himself of her" and then took matters into his own hands. Then there is his great grandfather Edward the 3 who might have been still married when he married Elizabeth of Woodsville(she might have been still married).His own grand uncle also married the queen of England and daughter of the king of france not while she was married but Jared Tudor (I think), was basically born of common stock. Anne Boyln's grandfather was a simple merchant upstart, she was 2 generations for being born with dirt beneath her nails. My point is this yes power is a trick on the wall a shadow and it resides where men think it does. The reason that King Henry the 8 could marry and still not have the common revolt or Edward with his possibly married wife is because they knew the trick of making the commons loving them. They had an iron grip on the government and the commons. They were put putty in these rulers' hands. It's not enough for you to call your self a ruler you have to have to ability to effect people without being affected yourself. Anyway back to Sansa and all the possibilities for her future.

you mean Edward iv. Edward iii reigned in the 14th century. and I've never heard there was any doubt that Elizabeth Woodville's first husband was dead.

on the tudors I think you're saying it right; Catherine de valois was daughter of the French king, widow of henry V of England; then married owen tudor. had 2 sons with owen, jasper and Edmund. Edmund is father of henry vii, and grandfather of henry viii. Edmund died just before or after henry vii was born, his brother jasper was the mentor of henry vii through his life and ultimately guided him to the thorne.

i'll wager the HTH marriage never happens.

i'll speculate on the end of sansa's arc, but no idea how she'll get there.

1. I think she's most likely to either die before the end of the series or end up completely betraying the starks or both. it seems overwhelmingly likely to me that the death of her direwolf so early in the series foreshadows something bad.

2. If things go relatively well for her, even if only in the interim, I'd say her most likely marriage partners are Aegon or Stannis.

3. But I wouldn't be at all surprised if she dies a virgin, never finding love, never reaching that glittery chivalrous world she dreamed of; never finding her night in shining armor. Her marriage to Tyrion remains a real problem for any subsequent marriage IMHO. Tyrion will openly be back in Westeros soon enough that no one will be able to claim he's dead.

I think it's likely GRRM has it in for Sansa. He's set up her up to be the poor little beautiful rich girl no one minds seeing get her comeuppance. he'll make her pay for her selfishness, disloyalty, vanity and superficiality. We could yet see GRRM turn around and confound this somewhat foreshadowed outcome too, and I kind of hope so, but I do think this kind of end for sansa has been set up.

4. Or, if Tyrion's arc goes in one likely direction, and he ends up as hand of the Queen (Daenaerys), and lord of Casterly Rock, maybe he will reclaim Sansa, and she will live her life as his wife, accept the fact she has to have sex with him, bear him children, etc. I do think Tyrion is alive at the end. I think the witty dwarf being one the few who emerges alive from all this chaos is one the points of the books, if you can there are points to it.

It's possible-he could be a good candidate for the NW as a Ranger someday, if he proves too asocial for rule.

I always figured news Rickon would alive could be a catalyst for Sansa leaving LF and the Vale.

I would love it if that was the controversial Sansa chapter. Killing LF to keep Rickon or her bros safe.

Even to keep " fArya " safe.

is there any chance that sansa will end up as queen on the iron throne

if she does become queen, it will most likely be through marrying the king not ruling herself.

You guys need to stop trying to kill Starks!!

Arya will never kill Sansa as a faceless man. She just would not do it.

GRRM has killed enough Starks.

while i agree that arya most likely will not kill sansa, i cannot be sure grrm wouldn't kill another stark. in fact, it's arya that i really worry about.

if she does become queen, it will most likely be through marrying the king not ruling herself.

while i agree that arya most likely will not kill sansa, i cannot be sure grrm wouldn't kill another stark. in fact, it's arya that i really worry about.

I agree Sansa will not rule as Queen, but she may BE someone's queen

Arya. He's not allowed to kill Arya. I'm quite sure his wife forbid him!!

Well no one is safe from death in this series-that being said, I haven't seen any foreshadowing for Sansa's death in the series-yet. There were plenty of indicators Robb was doomed, even from ACoK, where Theon has a vision of Robb and Grey Wind joining the Starks in the catacombs. Ned's death was set up as well...but Sansa just doesn't have that imagery yet. For both Ned, and Robb, their fatal ends were logical for their story arcs, but Sansa's story arc seems to be about her growing up from a naive girl who believes in fairy tales, to something very different.

I'm not sure what she will be in the end, but until we see it, she's not going to die.

"My skin has gone from porcelain, to ivory, to steel."

I think some on this thread have overstated or exaggerated Sansa's various claims going into WoW.

1) First off, Sansa has no claim to Casterly Rock whatsoever. With Tywin's and Kevan's deaths, ownership would pass to Kevan's heirs. Since Lancel has refused his inheritance and joined the Faith Militant, Martyn Lannister is the heir apparent to Casterly Rock. Tyrion's rights could only be reinstated by royal decree, which will not happen while Tommen sits the Iron Throne.

2) Sansa also has no claim to Riverrun. The crown has declared the Tully's forfeit of all lands and titles, raising Emmon Frey to Lord of Riverrun. Should Emmon Frey be killed, as some have predicted, by the BWB, the lordship would pass to his grandson by Cleon Frey, Tywin. If the Tully's rights were reinstated by royal decree, Edmure and his offspring would be Lords of Riverrun, followed by the Blackfish.

3) Sansa has no claim to the Riverlands or Harrenhal. While LF is currently Lord Paramount of the Riverlands and Lord of Harrenhal, Alayne Stone has not been legitimized as his heir. LF has no incentive to legitimize Alayne, and such a legitimization would destroy Sansa's value as an heir to the North.

4) Sansa has no direct claim to the Vale. Harry the Heir would inherit in the event of SweetRobin's death. Sansa's children by Harry could, however, inherit Lordship of the Vale. As others have pointed out, Sansa cannot legally marry Harry unless her marriage to Tyrion has been annulled by the High Septon.

5) Sansa's true value lies as heir to Winterfell and the North. As far as the Iron Throne is concerned, she is the only surviving child of Eddard Stark, and her husband could become Lord of Winterfell. Ramsay Bolton, however, is the current Lord of Winterfell through his marriage to Fake Arya. He has been legitimized by royal decree, and his father is Warden of the North. Several know and many suspect that "Arya" is a fake, but the one person who has the standing to prove this to the Iron Throne is LF. If Ramsay is killed in the upcoming battle at Winterfell, he would likely leave no heirs (unless Jeyne is pregnant). If Rickon is rescued by Davos and unveiled to the North, he would stand in the way of Sansa's inheritance. Even if that were to happen, however, the Iron Throne would probably refuse to recognize his claim.

My main point is that Sansa stands to inherit nothing so long as Tommen (or Myrcella) sits the Iron Throne. All signs, however, point to this changing in the next book. Until we read a Cersei chapter, we don't know exactly what happened in KL at the end of aDwD. It would likely serve LF's interests, therefore, to make a deal with one of the other claimants to the throne (or possibly the High Sparrow).

So who could LF strike a bargain with? Euron Greyjoy seems to be hitched to the Dany bandwagon. The Dornish seem to have abandoned any efforts to crown Myrcella. Aegon wants to marry his aunt, but could potentially settle for Sansa if it seems like Dany isn't coming anytime soon. A Sansa-Aegon pairing, however, would mean LF working with Varys. LF and Varys work at cross-purposes more often than not.

Despite their adversarial past, LF could prove himself quite useful to Stannis. He has already played a role in the death of one of Stannis' usurpers. LF could confirm the truth of Fake Arya, helping to unravel the Bolton coalition. As Protector of the Vale, LF can pledge the knights of the Vale to Stannis' cause, giving him much-needed swords. So far, Stannis has had difficulty winning the respect of the Northern lords. Recognizing and legitimizing Sansa Stark's claims could win Stannis favor with them.

All that being said, however, I don't think LF's plans will work out the way he wants them to. If Sansa does come into power, it will likely be in spite of LF, not because of him.

I think some on this thread have overstated or exaggerated Sansa's various claims going into WoW.

1) First off, Sansa has no claim to Casterly Rock whatsoever. With Tywin's and Kevan's deaths, ownership would pass to Kevan's heirs. Since Lancel has refused his inheritance and joined the Faith Militant, Martyn Lannister is the heir apparent to Casterly Rock. Tyrion's rights could only be reinstated by royal decree, which will not happen while Tommen sits the Iron Throne.

2) Sansa also has no claim to Riverrun. The crown has declared the Tully's forfeit of all lands and titles, raising Emmon Frey to Lord of Riverrun. Should Emmon Frey be killed, as some have predicted, by the BWB, the lordship would pass to his grandson by Cleon Frey, Tywin. If the Tully's rights were reinstated by royal decree, Edmure and his offspring would be Lords of Riverrun, followed by the Blackfish.

3) Sansa has no claim to the Riverlands or Harrenhal. While LF is currently Lord Paramount of the Riverlands and Lord of Harrenhal, Alayne Stone has not been legitimized as his heir. LF has no incentive to legitimize Alayne, and such a legitimization would destroy Sansa's value as an heir to the North.

4) Sansa has no direct claim to the Vale. Harry the Heir would inherit in the event of SweetRobin's death. Sansa's children by Harry could, however, inherit Lordship of the Vale. As others have pointed out, Sansa cannot legally marry Harry unless her marriage to Tyrion has been annulled by the High Septon.

5) Sansa's true value lies as heir to Winterfell and the North. As far as the Iron Throne is concerned, she is the only surviving child of Eddard Stark, and her husband could become Lord of Winterfell. Ramsay Bolton, however, is the current Lord of Winterfell through his marriage to Fake Arya. He has been legitimized by royal decree, and his father is Warden of the North. Several know and many suspect that "Arya" is a fake, but the one person who has the standing to prove this to the Iron Throne is LF. If Ramsay is killed in the upcoming battle at Winterfell, he would likely leave no heirs (unless Jeyne is pregnant). If Rickon is rescued by Davos and unveiled to the North, he would stand in the way of Sansa's inheritance. Even if that were to happen, however, the Iron Throne would probably refuse to recognize his claim.

My main point is that Sansa stands to inherit nothing so long as Tommen (or Myrcella) sits the Iron Throne. All signs, however, point to this changing in the next book. Until we read a Cersei chapter, we don't know exactly what happened in KL at the end of aDwD. It would likely serve LF's interests, therefore, to make a deal with one of the other claimants to the throne (or possibly the High Sparrow).

So who could LF strike a bargain with? Euron Greyjoy seems to be hitched to the Dany bandwagon. The Dornish seem to have abandoned any efforts to crown Myrcella. Aegon wants to marry his aunt, but could potentially settle for Sansa if it seems like Dany isn't coming anytime soon. A Sansa-Aegon pairing, however, would mean LF working with Varys. LF and Varys work at cross-purposes more often than not.

Despite their adversarial past, LF could prove himself quite useful to Stannis. He has already played a role in the death of one of Stannis' usurpers. LF could confirm the truth of Fake Arya, helping to unravel the Bolton coalition. As Protector of the Vale, LF can pledge the knights of the Vale to Stannis' cause, giving him much-needed swords. So far, Stannis has had difficulty winning the respect of the Northern lords. Recognizing and legitimizing Sansa Stark's claims could win Stannis favor with them.

All that being said, however, I don't think LF's plans will work out the way he wants them to. If Sansa does come into power, it will likely be in spite of LF, not because of him.

(1) Barring Tyrion's return and reunion with Sansa, I agree, she has no claim to Casterly Rock.

(2) The same logic you're using to deny Sansa's claim to Riverrun could be used to deny her claim to Winterfell. After all, the Iron Throne decreed that Winterfell and the North now belong to the Boltons. If you agree that she has a claim to the North, then logically you have to concede that she has some claim to Riverrun, even if it's not as strong.

(3) I think you're a little confused on the logic behind her claim to Harrenhall. It's not through her false identity as Alayne Stone, but rather through her maternal grandmother, a Whent of Harrenhall. Her claim to all of the Riverlands comes from her Tully heritage, not the recent appointment of her false father.

(4) I don't believe anyone has argued that she has a direct claim to the Vale, just that her family history (niece to former regent, first cousin to current Lord Paramount, ward of current regent) and her potential marriage to Harry the Heir would make her very easy for the nobility and small folk of the Vale to rally around.

(5) Agreed, yes, her best and most valuable claims are to Winterfell and the North.

(2) The same logic you're using to deny Sansa's claim to Riverrun could be used to deny her claim to Winterfell. After all, the Iron Throne decreed that Winterfell and the North now belong to the Boltons. If you agree that she has a claim to the North, then logically you have to concede that she has some claim to Riverrun, even if it's not as strong.

(3) I think you're a little confused on the logic behind her claim to Harrenhall. It's not through her false identity as Alayne Stone, but rather through her maternal grandmother, a Whent of Harrenhall. Her claim to all of the Riverlands comes from her Tully heritage, not the recent appointment of her false father.

(4) I don't believe anyone has argued that she has a direct claim to the Vale, just that her family history (niece to former regent, first cousin to current Lord Paramount, ward of current regent) and her potential marriage to Harry the Heir would make her very easy for the nobility and small folk of the Vale to rally around.

I intended the post less as a refutation of anyone's specific claims, and more as an outline of the various obstacles to Sansa and/or her offspring claiming rights to these lands and titles. But thanks for your helpful critique.

2) I think there's an important difference between Ramsay Bolton's claim to Winterfell and Emmon Frey's claim to Riverrun. Ramsay is claiming his lordship in Arya Stark's name. Since we know she's not Arya, Bolton's claim is based on false pretenses. The crown did not specifically disinherit the Starks in the way that they did the Tullys. I know it's slightly semantics, but I would argue that Emmon Frey has a more solid claim to Riverrun than Ramsay Bolton to Winterfell.

3) I had no idea about the Whent connection. Thanks for pointing that out. Of course, she can't claim anything through her Tully heritage so long as the Tullys have been disinherited of all lands and titles. The only way I can see it working out is if the Tullys are reinstated, LF dies, and Rickon reclaims Winterfell. Edmure and his heirs would be lords of Riverrun, and Robin Arryn is already Lord of the Vale, so the Whent rights to Harrenhal would pass to Catelyn's children. Bran/Rickon would get priority, unless Bran stays in his tree and Rickon becomes Lord or Winterfell. So many things have to happen for this to work that I'm almost tempted to think that's exactly what GRRM will do.

4) Agreed.

Also, Jon Snow's parentage and/or Robb Stark's will could change all of this.

It's true the Tully's have been dispossessed of Riverrun for Emmon Frey-but there's no way in hell that's going to stand up long term. The Frey's are too hated to hold Riverrun, and the Lannister/Baratheon regime is crumbling fast. Eventually, Riverrun will be up for grabs again and if Edmure and Roslin's 'belly trout' aren't available to claim Riverrun, (which again seems likely considering Emmon's vested interest in getting rid of both of them,) then Sansa's next in line.

LF, I think is betting on the fact that the Lannister's will fall, and the Frey's won't last either. (Nor could the Boltons and even if fArya wasn't denounced, Sansa still comes before her in the line of succession,) the one thing LF doesn't know is that Rickon is still very much alive-and coming home.

I intended the post less as a refutation of anyone's specific claims, and more as an outline of the various obstacles to Sansa and/or her offspring claiming rights to these lands and titles. But thanks for your helpful critique.

2) I think there's an important difference between Ramsay Bolton's claim to Winterfell and Emmon Frey's claim to Riverrun. Ramsay is claiming his lordship in Arya Stark's name. Since we know she's not Arya, Bolton's claim is based on false pretenses. The crown did not specifically disinherit the Starks in the way that they did the Tullys. I know it's slightly semantics, but I would argue that Emmon Frey has a more solid claim to Riverrun than Ramsay Bolton to Winterfell.

3) I had no idea about the Whent connection. Thanks for pointing that out. Of course, she can't claim anything through her Tully heritage so long as the Tullys have been disinherited of all lands and titles. The only way I can see it working out is if the Tullys are reinstated, LF dies, and Rickon reclaims Winterfell. Edmure and his heirs would be lords of Riverrun, and Robin Arryn is already Lord of the Vale, so the Whent rights to Harrenhal would pass to Catelyn's children. Bran/Rickon would get priority, unless Bran stays in his tree and Rickon becomes Lord or Winterfell. So many things have to happen for this to work that I'm almost tempted to think that's exactly what GRRM will do.

4) Agreed.

Also, Jon Snow's parentage and/or Robb Stark's will could change all of this.

But the crown did disinherit the Starks the same way they did the Tullys. Remember, Roose Bolton is the new Lord Paramount of the North and he was declared that before anyone knew of his son's wedding plans with (f)Arya. Moreover, if the Starks hadn't been stripped of their titles, Sansa would currently be Lady of Winterfell, not her younger sister. The marriage to (f)Arya was, in my reading, more of a ploy to win over the people and nobility of the North.

I think where we're coming into conflict is over the idea of a "claim." A lot of your points are resting on the idea that the current King in the Iron Throne decreed that someone or some family doesn't have rights to a title any more so therefore they don't. However, the very nature of a claim is that it something used to dispute who should hold a title. After the Glorious Revolution, the Stuarts were kicked out of London and laws were written making it illegal for a Catholic to rule England, but that didn't stop the Stuarts and the Catholics from trying to take back the throne, nor did it mean that they had no claim to the throne. Or, to use an in-universe example, by the logic you employed above, Dany doesn't have a claim to the Iron Throne either because the Targaryans were "disinherited of all lands and titles." Robert no doubt decreed that both she and Viserys had no right to rule the Seven Kingdoms, but that decree doesn't undo a claim. The whole point of the claim is to dispute the decree.

It's true the Tully's have been dispossessed of Riverrun for Emmon Frey-but there's no way in hell that's going to stand up long term. The Frey's are too hated to hold Riverrun, and the Lannister/Baratheon regime is crumbling fast. Eventually, Riverrun will be up for grabs again and if Edmure and Roslin's 'belly trout' aren't available to claim Riverrun, (which again seems likely considering Emmon's vested interest in getting rid of both of them,) then Sansa's next in line.

On Riverrun, I think the Brotherhood has something big planned, and I don't think Emmon Frey has very long to live. While Roslin is currently within his power, Edmure is not. Edmure has been sent to Casterly Rock, out of Emmon's reach. So even if Emmon, in desperation, has Roslin killed, Edmure can always wed again. And next time he won't be marrying a Frey, for sure. The Lannisters hold Edmure hostage as much to keep the Freys in line as it is to keep the Riverlands in line. Should the Freys displease them, the Lannisters can always reinstate Edmure as Lord of Riverrun. The Freys are in a position of weakness, because their subjects despise them and they depend on the Lannisters to stay in power. If the Lannister-Tyrell alliance falters, which seems likely to happen, then the Lannisters won't have the strength to hold the Riverlands AND KL. A general uprising against the Freys, led by the BWB, would have a decent chance of success.

Isn't Sansa a claimant to Winterfell, Casterly Rock, Riverrun, and Rivendell?

On Riverrun, I think the Brotherhood has something big planned, and I don't think Emmon Frey has very long to live. While Roslin is currently within his power, Edmure is not. Edmure has been sent to Casterly Rock, out of Emmon's reach. So even if Emmon, in desperation, has Roslin killed, Edmure can always wed again. And next time he won't be marrying a Frey, for sure. The Lannisters hold Edmure hostage as much to keep the Freys in line as it is to keep the Riverlands in line.

I have a nasty suspicion, Edmure won't survive his trip to CR....Edmure and Genna both want him dead, (as well as a lot of other Frey's,) and then LF might want to get rid of Edmure, if he's betting on Sansa inheriting Riverrun.

But the crown did disinherit the Starks the same way they did the Tullys. Remember, Roose Bolton is the new Lord Paramount of the North and he was declared that before anyone knew of his son's wedding plans with (f)Arya. Moreover, if the Starks hadn't been stripped of their titles, Sansa would currently be Lady of Winterfell, not her younger sister. The marriage to (f)Arya was, in my reading, more of a ploy to win over the people and nobility of the North.

I think where we're coming into conflict is over the idea of a "claim." A lot of your points are resting on the idea that the current King in the Iron Throne decreed that someone or some family doesn't have rights to a title any more so therefore they don't. However, the very nature of a claim is that it something used to dispute who should hold a title. After the Glorious Revolution, the Stuarts were kicked out of London and laws were written making it illegal for a Catholic to rule England, but that didn't stop the Stuarts and the Catholics from trying to take back the throne, nor did it mean that they had no claim to the throne. Or, to use an in-universe example, by the logic you employed above, Dany doesn't have a claim to the Iron Throne either because the Targaryans were "disinherited of all lands and titles." Robert no doubt decreed that both she and Viserys had no right to rule the Seven Kingdoms, but that decree doesn't undo a claim. The whole point of the claim is to dispute the decree.

I can't dispute your argument without going back and finding the relevant text. But I will say that my understanding of the situation is that the Starks lost their "Wardens of the North" title, not their rights to Winterfell per se. I think they de facto lose their rights because they have been extinguished in the male line. Fake Arya is still "Lady Stark of Winterfell," but there would be no Starks after her. So, for example, if Rickon or Bran were to reveal themselves, they wouldn't necessarily be legally barred from assuming lordship of Winterfell. Stannis has demonstrated in the past, with Jon Snow, that he wants a Stark in Winterfell. So if Davos returns with Rickon, Stannis will almost certainly have to recognize him as Lord Stark.

Thanks for the clarification on the definition of "claim." I honestly misused the word without realizing it, when I probably meant to say something closer to "legal right." I think my broader point still stands, though, in the sense that a major power shift needs to take place in order for Sansa to successfully assert her various claims. If her or LF were to curry favor with an usurper to the Iron Throne (Stannis, Dany, etc.), this person would be able to both recognize and enforce her claim. The powers-that-be (Bolton/Frey/Lannister/Tyrell) at the conclusion of aDwD, however, have every reason to deny Sansa's claims forcefully.

Archived