So who will end up on Iron Throne?

Stan the Man Baratheon

Well that'd the thing isn't it. Jon's whole arc is very predictable (at this point). Bastard hero, finds out he's a prince from two ancient bloodlines, saves the world, and becomes king. How is that not the essence of what would be expected of the story from a casual reader. In fact for those types of reader if Jon did not end up as king that would be unexpected.

Well, we (believe that we) know that Jon is a prince from two ancient bloodlines, but most of the readers do not. Nor do we know that he will save the world. If it turns out that he is Rhaegar's son and if he saves the world, it still will be unexpceted to most of the people. I believe if anyone other than Dany sits in the Iron Throne in the end of the series, it could be seen as an unexpected outcome.

Well, we (believe that we) know that Jon is a prince from two ancient bloodlines, but most of the readers do not. Nor do we know that he will save the world. If it turns out that he is Rhaegar's son and if he saves the world, it still will be unexpceted to most of the people. I believe if anyone other than Dany sits in the Iron Throne in the end of the series, it could be seen as an unexpected outcome.

Even if the casual reader doesn't pick up on R+L=J they still see Jon as a hero of the story, and having the hero of the story end up as king is not unexpected. That's the point, from book one is was obvious that Jon was one of the heroes of the story.

Oh, I think if Dany ended up in the IT the forum might implode, it would be such a shock.

I think GRRM said the end will be bittersweet :dunno:

Jon will be king, but won't sit the IT. In fact, he's been king most of the fifth book, if you read carefully.

Daenerys stated boldly: she's khaleesi, not queen.

Tyrion's death will be epic, we'll all drip our tears on the book.

I think Rhaegar's right and Aegon will be king. Not Aegon Frey or Aegon "Blackfyre", I mean Aegon Targaryen.

(Btw, Jon's real name is Daemon, after discarding Daeron. R+L never gave a shit for naming him Aegon as his half-brother)

His Lordship won't sit the IT, but will have Sansa marry Aegon. He'll be content with being Hand.

I hope he's done with laying traps to troubadours who get killed before they reach their end, and he starts playing real hard, there's just two books ahead.

You people seriously, seriously, SERIOUSLY underestimate the internet.

The question is: does GRRM underestimate it? We know that he doesn't look at forums.

And I've watched two seasons of the show and read one book before I stumbled with R+L=J. I have friends who watch the show and/or read the books and still don't know this theory.

Even if the casual reader doesn't pick up on R+L=J they still see Jon as a hero of the story, and having the hero of the story end up as king is not unexpected. That's the point, from book one is was obvious that Jon was one of the heroes of the story.

Oh, I think if Dany ended up in the IT the forum might implode, it would be such a shock.

Jon Snow is one of the heroes of the story. Many people see Dany as the hero. Others see Tyrion or Arya. Not to mention the dead heroes, like Ned and Robb. And Stannis, that some people see as a hero, although I'll never understand why. So Jon is not the hero, he is one hero. The reason why you believe he is the hero is because you know about R+L=J and because there are really recent pieces of evidences hinting that he may be Azor Ahai Reborn and The Prince That Was Promised. But you probably would know nothing of that if you didn't read internet forums.

Moreover, we don't know when GRRM said that phrase (if he said it at all). He could have said that before ADwD. Would you think Jon was the hero before ADwD, when Melisandre saw him in the flames when she was trying to visualize Azor Ahai? Before his dream foreshadowing that he would handle Lightbringer to slay the undead?

Edit: Terrible, horrible spelling.

The question is: does GRRM underestimate it? We know that he doesn't look at forums.

And I've watched two seasons of the show and read one book before I stumbled with R+L=J. I have friends who watch the show and/or read the books and still don't know this theory.

Jon Snow is one of the heroes of the story. Many people see Dany as the hero. Others see Tyrion or Arya. Not to mention the dead heroes, like Ned and Robb. And Stannis, that some people see as a hero, although I'll never understand why. So Jon is not the hero, he is one hero. The reason why you believe he is the hero is because you know about R+L=J and because there are really recent pieces of evidences hinting that he may be Azor Ahai Reborn and The Prince That Was Promised. But you probably would no nothing of that if you didn't read internet forums.

Moreover, we don't know when GRRM said that phrase (if he said it at all). He could have said that before ADwD. Would you think Jon was the hero before ADwD, when Melisandre saw him in the flames when she was trying to visualize Azor Ahai? Before his dream foreshadowing that he would handle Lightbringer to slay the undead?

I most certainly don’t think that Jon is THE hero of the story. He is one amongst many. However, I can tell you that most people after reading AGOT would easily see Jon as one of or the hero of the story. I for sure did, it’s pretty obvious. They don’t need to know about the prophecies and the secret parenthood to notice from the onset that he is one of the “good guys”. The casual fan who has read the books or watched the series sees Jon as “good guys” fighting the “good fight” and from that it wouldn’t be a huge leap to see him end up as king. Having the hero end up as king is not unexpected.

You know what would be an unexpected ending for Jon, if he actually stick to his vows.

PS. I think i'll leave the conversation at this, because we are talking in circles. We'll just have to wait until the end of the series to find out what will happen.

So havng anyone who is a good guy and is fighting the good fight ending up in the IT would be unsurprising? Being a hero is one thing, being the king in the end is another matter.

But if we are going to have a bad person in the IT in the end, for surprise's sake, I think Stannis' fans will be very happy by the end of the series.

I have no idea who would sit the iron throne but we must have faith in the rightful king, Stannis Baratheon. He will lead the fight against the Great Other, who should not be named, the soul of darkness. He is the chosen of the Lord of Light, we must believe in him. For the night is dark and full of terrors.

I think GRRM said the end will be bittersweet :dunno:

Jon will be king, but won't sit the IT. In fact, he's been king most of the fifth book, if you read carefully.

Daenerys stated boldly: she's khaleesi, not queen.

Tyrion's death will be epic, we'll all drip our tears on the book.

I think Rhaegar's right and Aegon will be king. Not Aegon Frey or Aegon "Blackfyre", I mean Aegon Targaryen.

(Btw, Jon's real name is Daemon, after discarding Daeron. R+L never gave a shit for naming him Aegon as his half-brother)

His Lordship won't sit the IT, but will have Sansa marry Aegon. He'll be content with being Hand.

I hope he's done with laying traps to troubadours who get killed before they reach their end, and he starts playing real hard, there's just two books ahead.

There are no clues or evidence for this theory. I think the text largely suggest that Aegon is dead, and the boy introduced in ADwD is a fake. It be sloppy writing for someone as talented as GRRM, to have someone we just met in ADwD sit the IT in the end. I don't think Sansa will get a chance to marry Aegon, as I doubt Dany will let a false pretender live.

Jon wasn't a king as he never wore a crown, but there are a mountain of hints that point to him sitting the IT. WHy would GRRM give Jon a secret royal heritage if it isn't going to impact the story somehow?

Archived