[Light tPatQ Spoilers] Do twins run in the Targaryen family?

First off: I know that real-world genetics can be iffy about this and that in reality, twins "run," insofar as they can "run," through the mother's side, not the father's. However as we all know by now, GRRM doesn't really use real-world genetics.

Having said that, has anyone noticed how many sets of twins the Targaryens have produced? I noticed that in tPatQ alone, we saw two sets: one set of fraternal twins (Jaehaerys and Jaehaera) and one set of either fraternal or identical twins (Baela and Rhaena). We can add those two sets to three four other known sets: Daemon Blackfyre's twin sons, Prince Rhaegal's double sets of twins and Robert's twins whom he fathered at Casterly Rock.

There are also at least a couple of other possible sibling sets who could be twins (Laena and Laenor Velaryon, and Valarr's stillborn sons). You also have Shiera Seastar as a possible chimera with her mismatched eyes.

I'm trying hard to think of other known twins in the series and other than the Lannister twins and a few side characters (e.g. Left and Right), I can't think of any. Which makes me wonder if the numerous sets of Targaryen twins was intentional on GRRM's part and if so, if it's meant to be a clue about something.

The hilarious thing is that the twins propensity could support either of the Lannister theories: Tyrion could be a chimera with his mismatched eyes, and obviously Cersei and Jaime stand out as twins. I don't actually believe either of the Lannister-Targ theories, but I must admit the twin thing makes me curious.

that would be interesting, and change qute a few dynamics on the Lannister side. IIRC their might be 2 knights who where twins, but I cannot remember their names.

Arryk and Erryk were twins, I think. They do pop up occasionally in the series, but the Targs seem to produce a ton of them.

I doubt it. There are multiple examples of twins throughout the series. The Redwyne twins are one examples. Arryk and his brother (Erryk? I forget) are another. Unless those two were just brothers not twins, but I thought they were twins. There's the Fowler twins in Dorne. Also, the Ironborn soldier Theon leads away from Moat Cailin says his family "runs to twins," or something to that effect.

I don't know the exact math, but the ratio of twins to only children in the Targaryen family probably isn't bigger than the ratio of the overall population, but since they're the ruling dynasty, The twins among their family are more well-known than twins from other families and backgrounds.

I think it's just a coincidence combined with the fact that there is a crap ton of named and genealogized Targaryens.

Basically this. Targaryens being the royal family have all of their genealogy documented. I'm sure the ratio of twins to non-twins in Targaryens isn't necessarily extra-ordinary to have us infer something from it. It would be interesting if someone in future though. like Jon or Dany ends up having twins.

I also thought that all these Targ twins might mean that Jamie and Cersei are Aerys's, but there's also a set of Lannister twins in tPatQ and Kevan's Willem and Martyn.

Do the twins Robert fathered at Casterly Rock count as Targaryens?

Robert is descended from the Targs, so yes, I'm counting them.

Just to play devil's advocate-- we have no way of knowing whether or not the Lannister twins in TPatQ, or Erryk and Arryk (or any other set of twins, for that matter) might have a Targ in the tree somewhere ;)

One thing the increasing detail on Targ genealogy is teaching us is that they intermarried much more than previously thought with Westerosi nobility.

Overall, I agree with Apple. A surprising number of twins in relation to the volume of information we have. Those details have gotta be there for a reason.

Rhaegal son of Daeron ll had two sets of twins,

I've read this in the forums but I can't see to find it confirmed. Do we know for sure that Rhaegel had two sets of twins? All I can remember is the conversation in TMK where hedge knights talk about Rhaegel's twins being doomed after Aerys' death.

Wow. I definitely noticed all the Targaryen twins, but I did not realize until this thread how many other families had sets of twins.

The only two implications I can see for this would be, like Apple Martini said, more fodder for A+J=C&J, and of course one of the current Targaryen offsprings could have twins. But both of those implications are pretty insignificant to me. So.... coincidence.

According to the wiki, Rhaegel did have twins, but the citation is for TMK.

Archived