Will the Wall Fall?

drayrock

I am not talking about a crack in the wall, I am talking about the whole thing coming down and it actually has more mass than most mountains because it is far wider than a mountain. Mass is mass that much mass collapsing is a problem. Is the magic going to gently remove the wall? Not that any of that matters in a fantasy novel, Martin could have it collapse and people standing within 10 feet of not get knocked over. Just saying it's massive and it should be a problem for anyone anywhere near it when it comes down.

True. If the whole Wall just suddenly topples the earthquakes should destroy everything in the vicinity. It would not be AS bad a a (hypothetically) toppling Moung Everest, though, since the Wall is so ridiculously long and thin. The force of impact would be enormous, but it would also be spread out over a huge stretch of land. It's not like the mass of the whole Wall would be exerted on a single spot. It may also break down piece by piece from top to bottom, which would also lessen the impact.

But in any case, I do think that only a part of the Wall will collapse.

True. If the whole Wall just suddenly topples the earthquakes should destroy everything in the vicinity. It would not be AS bad a a (hypothetically) toppling Moung Everest, though, since the Wall is so ridiculously long and thin. The force of impact would be enourmous, but it would also be spread out over a huge stretch of land. It's not like the mass of the whole Wall would be exerted on a single spot. It may also break down piece by piece from top to bottom, which would also lessen the impact.

But in any case, I do think that only a part of the Wall will collapse.

This would fall in a "technicality," category, but it's still a possibility one of the dragons could simply melt the wall, that'd be less climactic and damaging as a barrier breaking horn blast, although, melting the wall would still probably cause flooding.

This would fall in a "technicality," category, but it's still a possibility one of the dragons could simply melt the wall, that'd be less climactic and damaging as a barrier breaking horn blast, although, melting the wall would still probably cause flooding.

I think if it falls half of it will fall and in more of the earthquake fashion. And it will be heard/felt all the way in the riverlands kind of thing.

Who says it has to fall all at once, or even in its entirety? If a large section of it is destroyed, well, the Wall's lost much of its utility right there.

I have this theory that, at the end of the series, the seasons will be normalized and the Wall will very gradually start to melt as it can't cope with the shorter winters.

I don't think so. It looks like the horn of Joramunn is in possession of Sam at the Citadel. I think the 'dead things in the water' are going to find their way to Skagos and meet Davos, Rickon & co. there, before going to Westeros. Maybe they'll use some kind of 'reverse hammer of the waters' in order to connect Skagos to the continent.

TheBastardofBluegrass, on 31 Dec 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

"The Wall will stand as long as the men who defend it stay true."

The past two Lord Commanders of the Night's Watch have been assassinated. Yes, The Wall is coming down, I think it happens in the Prologue chapter of The Winds of Winter. I think everyone's favorite sucker, Dolorous Edd Tollett will be having a patrol at Night Fort, or where ever Jon sent him, and as he walks, he'll feel it rumble and rumble, and he'll say something exceptionally dour, like, "Always knew this Wall would wait for me to be on it when it fell." CRASH.

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

I think the NW no longer being true will cause the blood magic built into the wall to fail. Then the Others will be able to breach it. After all, they like the cold. It isn't the ice that is keeping them out.

One part of me says Martin wouldn't have brought up the Horn of Joramun if he didn't intend to bring the Wall down.

Another part of me says that's exactly the kind of thing Martin would do (as a red herring).

haha well said. I just don't think you put a giant wall in if you don't intend it to come down.

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

I think the NW no longer being true will cause the blood magic built into the wall to fail. Then the Others will be able to breach it. After all, they like the cold. It isn't the ice that is keeping them out.

That's the best thing I've heard. If that's the case we'll have white walkers pretty early in WoW

Archived